Proposal: BUF - TB Trade

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Is this supposed to be a joke right?
Is it? His value in a vaccuum is realistically around a late 1st. Now substract the fact that he's slightly overpaid, Tampa Bay is in cap hell and he's got an upcoming NTC which, voilà, I'd argue lets you end up at around a 2nd.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Let's get to something that should work better for both teams. Callahan + 4th for Sobotka + Winnipeg 6th?

Both are overpaid for what they bring, Callahan is more overpaid but the better player.

I think I'd rather just waive Sobotka and hope he decides to go back to the KHL rather than ride buses in the AHL.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Let's get to something that should work better for both teams. Callahan + 4th for Sobotka + Winnipeg 6th?

Both are overpaid for what they bring, Callahan is more overpaid but the better player.

That actually favors the Sabres. But like others said, I'd rather just waive Sobotka and use our cap space for players that would be more long term help.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Why is every pick not a 1st or 2nd rounder a nothing pick? You get a better player and move up roughly two rounds. Callahan should also bring back a better piece at the deadline than Sobotka would so you win there again too, not sure why it would be a no?

As for why Tampa would do it because it gets them 2.3 more capspace which should be enough to sign all our remaining RFA and a depth defender. I would look to flip Sobotka right away to say Vancouver with a 6th for Schaller. That frees up another 1.6 and Schaller would be buried and with his replacement we get another 300k. So in total we replaced Callahan internally, saved over 4mil in capspace all for a 4th round pick. It's a no brainier for Tampa.
Hose and you are going to do all this before July 1st? Good luck!

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Given Botterills comments that hes been talking to Pominville about a return, I cant see Callahan being of any interest unless the Sabres get a significant young asset back as a sweetener

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
More risk, much higher reward. With several teams running into cap issues this offseason good players should shake loose at less than market value. I'd much rather pursue those players than hamstring myself by overpaying bottom 6 vets. Again this isn't to say Callahan would be completely useless here or anything, he'd be ok, but this isn't a player I'm taking on for the limited utility he provides at this point. I'd be doing it because I got a very good asset in return for doing so.

You may get some Sabres fans to bite. Sobotka is ****ing terrible. I have no real insight into what Sobotka might do if he were sent to Rochester but if there's a decent possibility that causes him to pack up and leave for the KHL again I'd certainly rather explore that avenue. The weight still seems tilted in TB's favor. Callahan provides more utility than Sobotka that's for sure, but taking on millions of dollars more in cap for a slight upgrade to our bottom 6 and a nothing pick isn't very enticing. Frankly that shouldnt be enticing to TB either as it provides too little cap relief. Keep the cap space and pursue pieces that actually help this team long-term or trade for Callahan at 100% and leverage some good assets for your trouble.
More risk, much higher reward. With several teams running into cap issues this offseason good players should shake loose at less than market value. I'd much rather pursue those players than hamstring myself by overpaying bottom 6 vets. Again this isn't to say Callahan would be completely useless here or anything, he'd be ok, but this isn't a player I'm taking on for the limited utility he provides at this point. I'd be doing it because I got a very good asset in return for doing so.

You may get some Sabres fans to bite. Sobotka is ****ing terrible. I have no real insight into what Sobotka might do if he were sent to Rochester but if there's a decent possibility that causes him to pack up and leave for the KHL again I'd certainly rather explore that avenue. The weight still seems tilted in TB's favor. Callahan provides more utility than Sobotka that's for sure, but taking on millions of dollars more in cap for a slight upgrade to our bottom 6 and a nothing pick isn't very enticing. Frankly that shouldnt be enticing to TB either as it provides too little cap relief. Keep the cap space and pursue pieces that actually help this team long-term or trade for Callahan at 100% and leverage some good assets for your trouble.
Istheanswerjesus go to the cupboard and you will see you don’t have the assets to trade for that higher reward. When you factor in both term and value anything with even a marginally better return is going to cost Mittelstadt or Nylander. Anything with a much greater return will involve Risto. But, good luck with that though

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why is every pick not a 1st or 2nd rounder a nothing pick? You get a better player and move up roughly two rounds. Callahan should also bring back a better piece at the deadline than Sobotka would so you win there again too, not sure why it would be a no?

As for why Tampa would do it because it gets them 2.3 more capspace which should be enough to sign all our remaining RFA and a depth defender. I would look to flip Sobotka right away to say Vancouver with a 6th for Schaller. That frees up another 1.6 and Schaller would be buried and with his replacement we get another 300k. So in total we replaced Callahan internally, saved over 4mil in capspace all for a 4th round pick. It's a no brainier for Tampa.

Buffalo isn’t helping Tampa by taking on $2.4M extra in cap space without getting something actually worthwhile.

Based on projects of them signing their RFAs, they will have about $7M- $8M in cap space.

Taking Callshsn without sending salary back removes them from free agency. Sending back Sobotka still doesn’t help them much in getting a good player out there be ause thry would still be under $5M in empty space.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Given Botterills comments that hes been talking to Pominville about a return, I cant see Callahan being of any interest unless the Sabres get a significant young asset back as a sweetener

This is the first I've heard of this and you owe me a new computer. Mine has a fist hole in it now.

..the f***? Callahan I'd actually take in a certain situation. I think the ability to kill a PK is overrated af, but whatever, it's a skill. Poms just exists. He finishes what you give him and is just.. there. He's not a leadership presence, he doesn't have any specific skill left- why?

Reactions: Tatanka

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
This is the first I've heard of this and you owe me a new computer. Mine has a fist hole in it now.

..the ****? Callahan I'd actually take in a certain situation. I think the ability to kill a PK is overrated af, but whatever, it's a skill. Poms just exists. He finishes what you give him and is just.. there. He's not a leadership presence, he doesn't have any specific skill left- why?

I get what you mean. But they probably look at it as he still had 16 goals last season and he may be a below 2 mil get for a good voice in the room

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I get what you mean. But they probably look at it as he still had 16 goals last season and he may be a below 2 mil get for a good voice in the room
You understand that his 16 goals were with Jack and Jeff on the first line, I would not want to see such a link again, I would prefer to put young Olofsson or Nylander there in an extreme case, and in bottom 6 Pomminville is almost useless, another thing to be in Rochester, but I don’t know if Pomminville himself wants to.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Eichel banked it in off his skate 16 times, gotcha. As to voice- dude's softer than Charmin, I want him as far as f*** away from the youngsters as possible. "Hey man, just show up, use your natural ability to pot however many you can pot, call it a day, right? You scored a big'un in 2003, coast on that for 15 years. Whoa man, sorry, talking about myself there. Anyways, you were saying something about a playoff runt or something?"

..sorry, I have an unnatural level of hatred for that waste of a roster spot.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
You understand that his 16 goals were with Jack and Jeff on the first line, I would not want to see such a link again, I would prefer to put young Olofsson or Nylander there in an extreme case, and in bottom 6 Pomminville is almost useless, another thing to be in Rochester, but I don’t know if Pomminville himself wants to.

I get what you mean. Not that I'm completely supportive of this idea

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
:bolts Receives:
Rasmus Ristolainen, Alex Nylander, 2019 1st (#30/#31), and 2020 2nd.

:sabres Receives:
Tyler Johnson, JT Miller, Ryan Callahan and 2019 4th.

Breakdown:
- Ristolainen and a 2nd for Miller.
- Nylander and a 1st for Johnson.
- Tampa gives Buffalo a 4th to take Callahan's contract off their books.

- Sabres get three new forwards with a winning pedigree.
- Lightning get a top-4 RHD, $10M+ in cap space, and a prospect that could flourish in their system.

Sabres transform their roster...

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Johnson
Sheary - Miller - Rodrigues
Okposo - Ruotsalainen - Callahan

Dahlin - UFA (Stralman?)
McCabe - Montour
Pilut - Bogosian

No thanks. That's too rich for my blood. I like Miller, but that's too rich for me. Especially when we're taking back even one year of that aging trash (Callahan). Why are we giving up a 1st and 2nd in the deal to help you out and only getting a 4th. This is lopsided.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
No thanks. That's too rich for my blood. I like Miller, but that's too rich for me. Especially when we're taking back even one year of that aging trash (Callahan). Why are we giving up a 1st and 2nd in the deal to help you out and only getting a 4th. This is lopsided.
After reading all this negativity about Ryan Callahan, the better question is obviously what does Buffalo want from Tampa Bay that doesn’t include him and what are they prepared to give up for it?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
This thread isn’t going anywhere. We have no need for Risto anyway and we can dump Callahan elsewhere since Buffalo doesn’t seem to like free assets. Time to move on.

Reactions: ShaneinTpa

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Buffalo isn’t helping Tampa by taking on $2.4M extra in cap space without getting something actually worthwhile.

Based on projects of them signing their RFAs, they will have about $7M- $8M in cap space.

Taking Callshsn without sending salary back removes them from free agency. Sending back Sobotka still doesn’t help them much in getting a good player out there be ause thry would still be under $5M in empty space.

It's 2.3 difference not 2.4. You also are getting the better player and draft pick, so not sure how that isn't anything worthwhile? Who are you targeting in free agency anyway that you need 7-8mil for?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's 2.3 difference not 2.4. You also are getting the better player Anderson draft pick, so not sure how that isn't anything worthwhile? Who are you targeting in free agency anyway that you need 7-8mil for?

There are also trades buffalo can make not with Tampa that has a 5Zm or more salary gain.

Just because we have the space means we need to use vasaline..

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

"We've kept a dialogue open with him," Botterill said. "Not surprisingly, Jason is working extremely hard in the offseason. We'll continue that dialogue through the summer. It'll certainly [depend] on how things present themselves during the talking period with free agents (that begins June 23) and what materializes from trade fronts, both at the [2019 NHL Draft, June 21] and heading into July 1."

This 100% sounds like Pominville would be offered a deal only if Botterill isn't able to fill out the forward group to his liking with other players. He obviously has hopes of getting better guys in.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This 100% sounds like Pominville would be offered a deal only if Botterill isn't able to fill out the forward group to his liking with other players. He obviously has hopes of getting better guys in.

If buffalo resigns their RFAs and promote nylander, Smith, and Olofsson..thry have 14 forwards.

Thry would need to make tradesthat shed someforwards to make room.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The reality for Buffalo is they havent been to the playoffs or deep in a long time and for a reason. They arent in a favorable place to ask for players like Cirelli. If they were they would have somebody who would make trading Cirelli make sense. They just dont have those kind of players available. Honestly they might not even have 3 now that Skinner has a 9 mil a year contract. While most (If not all with exception of Callahan) of our guys who are available would instantly be better than most of their team. Plus these guys are signed to better cap hits than anybody who you can get on the open market and that is exactly the kind of trade a team like Buffalo should do. Buffalo needs to do this by drafting right and making good trades. They really havent done very well in either. I think adding one of our available guys could be a really good depth move. All those guys can play all over the lineup too. They also lack leadership, which Callahan could provide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad