Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Taylor Hall signs with the Sabres (1 year, $8M) Part 2

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
He asked out of NJ and the yotes tried to get him to stay. So thats not really true
As far as I am aware Hall never asked out of NJ. Before the season Hall stated the Devils told him they would not make him an offer until they saw him play on his injured knee. Hall played poorly and the team had a poor record with him. After Hall was traded the Devils played as a Wildcard, mostly due to the play of Blackwood.

“It seems like both sides are OK with going into camp and into the season without a new contract," Hall said. "It’s really only in the last few years where there’s this whole paranoia about players playing the last season of their contract. So, we have a lot of time. I’m coming off a season where I played 33 games. I think, from the Devils’ perspective and maybe from Ray’s -- I don’t want to speak for him -- but I think they want to see me play and see how I do and see how I fit in with the team and I’m just as excited to see that as well.”

Here’s what Devils’ Taylor Hall, Ray Shero said about forward’s contract talks

“It was more like an evaluation of for him as to where we are, but it wasn’t even that so much,” Shero said. “He wanted to start playing since he only played 33 games last year, I was really fine with that. To make it clear to our fans, to make it clear to anybody, he didn’t turn down any offers. He never demanded a trade, asked for a trade.”

Taylor Hall: Why NJ Devils' Ray Shero never offered a contract

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
As far as I am aware Hall never asked out of NJ. Before the season Hall stated the Devils told him they would not make him an offer until they saw him play on his injured knee. Hall played poorly and the team had a poor record with him. After Hall was traded the Devils played as a Wildcard, mostly due to the play of Blackwood.

“It seems like both sides are OK with going into camp and into the season without a new contract," Hall said. "It’s really only in the last few years where there’s this whole paranoia about players playing the last season of their contract. So, we have a lot of time. I’m coming off a season where I played 33 games. I think, from the Devils’ perspective and maybe from Ray’s -- I don’t want to speak for him -- but I think they want to see me play and see how I do and see how I fit in with the team and I’m just as excited to see that as well.”

Here’s what Devils’ Taylor Hall, Ray Shero said about forward’s contract talks

“It was more like an evaluation of for him as to where we are, but it wasn’t even that so much,” Shero said. “He wanted to start playing since he only played 33 games last year, I was really fine with that. To make it clear to our fans, to make it clear to anybody, he didn’t turn down any offers. He never demanded a trade, asked for a trade.”

Taylor Hall: Why NJ Devils' Ray Shero never offered a contract

He told them he wanted to play for a winner says the second article. So he didn't demand a trade he let them know he was not going to play on a crappy team.
The plan was to see how his knee was and if the Devils could win now..

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
He told them he wanted to play for a winner says the second article. So he didn't demand a trade he let them know he was not going to play on a crappy team.
The plan was to see how his knee was and if the Devils could win now..
He did not ask for a trade. The Devils never made him an offer. Bottom line.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I think it's obvious to everyone that the Rangers had a better offence than the sabres last year.
The question is whether
  • Hall, Staal, Eakin, Cozens -> Johanson, Vesey, Larsson Sheary
  • Fast -> Lafreniere
changes that

Reactions: grapes55

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
He did not ask for a trade. The Devils never made him an offer. Bottom line.

He straight up told them at the beginning of the year I am not staying for a rebuild if this team sucks I am out. The team sucked and traded him for the rebuild assets.
Acting like they didn't want him or that he wanted to stay is not accurate. He told them he would not stay if they suck. Both sides knew the deal and were fine with it.
Bottom line or not.

Reactions: klabob

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
At the end of the day, I for one am happy that the Sabres went for a short term swing for the fences deal. They took into account of Taylor's respect for Kruger as well as familiarity and a chance to play with Eichel won out. Not often our team in our market can get that result.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He straight up told them at the beginning of the year I am not staying for a rebuild if this team sucks I am out. The team sucked and traded him for the rebuild assets.
Acting like they didn't want him or that he wanted to stay is not accurate. He told them he would not stay if they suck. Both sides knew the deal and were fine with it.
Bottom line or not.

We're not rebuilding, can you please stop with that crap. We're obviously going in, when we've upgraded our center depth. Not that I'm a huge pundit for Eakin's advanced stats. However, he's an NHL regular instead of dropping in Mittelstadt or Cozens they are bringing in depth to push him down the center depth pool in order to likely play him on the wing.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
We're not rebuilding, can you please stop with that crap. We're obviously going in, when we've upgraded our center depth. Not that I'm a huge pundit for Eakin's advanced stats. However, he's an NHL regular instead of dropping in Mittelstadt or Cozens they are bringing in depth to push him down the center depth pool in order to likely play him on the wing.

You drafted first overall in 2 of the last 4 years. They made a lot of trades with draft picks comming back they are in the middle of a rebuild.

Wes9310

Oct 25, 2020
I thought he wanted to sign with a contender.
I think Buffalo can be around a playoff spot, but not a true contender. Him and Eichel, if healthy, should put up a ton of points....then he's still gotta hope the financial state of the league has improved.
If healthy, he will have a great season, but he is injury prone. Risky on a 1 or bet

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Bottom line or not.
You stated:

He asked out of NJ and the yotes tried to get him to stay. So thats not really true

Factually incorrect. Find one reference stating he asked out of NJ.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
As an impartial Zib is no where freaking close to eichel until he can put up another full season at or better than he just did. So far I see huge outlier year based on a sky high shooting percentage and pp numbers.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
You responded to a Sabres fan regarding Sabres draftees. You can see how I'm a bit confused....lol.

I don’t know I said they traded hall for rebuilds and he responded calling something crap so I didn’t read past that nonsense

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
As an impartial Zib is no where freaking close to eichel until he can put up another full season at or better than he just did. So far I see huge outlier year based on a sky high shooting percentage and pp numbers.

Then Hall's MVP season has to be considered just as big an outlier since he didnt put up another full season at or better than he did that season, right?

BananaCat11

Jun 30, 2019
Laurentians
I look at this move as a move to please their young diva Eichel. If this does not pan out, He is gone and Hall is gone. Managers are gone. Coaches are gone. Everyone's gone and another rebuilding phase begins. It is do or die in Buffalo this year. Everyone has a lot to prove. That can be a great thing or they can burn in flames if they fail to bring it. The pressure is on!

I always liked Buffalo. I hope they can get out of this funk. Not sure if Hall is enough but the options were limited. Hard to find anyone who wants to sign with that group of complainers and losers. Maybe Halls selfishness will overshadow Eichel's chronic complaints and they will actually get along and have some chemistry? Stranger things have happened.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I look at this move as a move to please their young diva Eichel. If this does not pan out, He is gone and Hall is gone. Managers are gone. Coaches are gone. Everyone's gone and another rebuilding phase begins. It is do or die in Buffalo this year. Everyone has a lot to prove. That can be a great thing or they can burn in flames if they fail to bring it. The pressure is on!

No...Eichrl has two years before a NMC kicks in. He’s not getting traded next year unless things turn to an utter disaster.

Coach and gm will not go anywhere.

If the need to trade Eichrl it would not be a start of a rebuild because the team has youth already in the system and on the team and a trade of Eichrl would bring in a bunch of pieces that doesn’t hurt them much.

If they were to need to trade Eichrl before NMC kicks in in June 2023... buffalo would look like

Skinner-Cozens-Reinhart
Olofsson-Mittktestadt-Quinn
Ruoatsalienen-Pekar-Peterka
Girgensons-Asplund-Thompson
Okposo

Dahlin-Jokiharju
Samuelson-xxx
Bryson- Borgen/Lasksonrn

Eichel brings in a center and Dman and picks and prospects.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I always liked Buffalo. I hope they can get out of this funk. Not sure if Hall is enough but the options were limited. Hard to find anyone who wants to sign with that group of complainers and losers. Maybe Halls selfishness will overshadow Eichel's chronic complaints and they will actually get along and have some chemistry? Stranger things have happened.

Clearly.

BananaCat11

Jun 30, 2019
Laurentians

I do like them. They are my second favorite team. I like them a bit less then I like the Habs. I have a love hate relationship with both teams.

Both teams have a bunch of shank players with bad management now. It is hard to be positive about them in their current state of half arsery. I started liking The Sabres back when they had a bunch of Hab killers and the Dominator in nets. Old man Stu Barnes won me a hockey pool one year on the last night of the league. Miroslav Satan and that whole crew were character players. They had some mean goons and would not mess around if you rushed their goalie. They were a force to reckon with in the east. Hard working to the last whistle. Those days are long gone now though and both teams are literally just tax right offs for stinky rich owners who have no incentive to win. I personally think if fans just stop going to see both these teams, Stop buying their merch, then they will be better off. Force a change.

Both can rebuild all they want but that won't change a thing with the current owners not caring and being content just cruising along in limbo. Some teams say "we are rebuilding from the bottom up." In Montreal and Buffalo's case this never works because its not the bottom guys who is the problem. It is the two main guys at top. The owners. If their heart is not in it to win then they are doomed. This is the harsh reality of Buffalo and Hab fans. We are both stuck with dorky owners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad