Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Taylor Hall signs with the Sabres (1 year, $8M) Part 2

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Funny how this turned into a Buffalo vs NYR thread. Buffalo can start with sorting out their own internal crisis before comparing themselves against any other team. Not being seen as a decade old failure in team composure and results is a start.

I have nothing against Buffalo and I like a couple of their players, but I don't see how adding Hall is any way a team progress for them. It's not the top players that is a problem in Buffalo (especially not the top forwards), it's the bad depth, the weak mentality and the lack of overall talent. They didn't need Hall. They needed a strengthened core and not look like a joke when the top players aren't on the ice. They didn't lose games by giving Eichel more ice time.

How ironic former Edmonton player Hall signed with Buffalo, the opposite side of the same conference coins. How simple minded GM minds think alike. Adding more pipes to the gun without enough ammunition or an iron shield to hold in the other hand. Sure, Buffalo has Dahlin and such on the defensive end, but it's still such a weak core. I'm absolutely not impressed by the Buffalo D and they don't have a goalie to cover for it.

I'm not impressed and I don't see how Hall will make them step up their game. It's not the player they needed, but it's the player they got. Luckily it's on short terms. Hall is not a player you add to win the cup, as to speak. Hall is a player you pay to patch gaping wounds with some dekes - and he's made a career out of it. Or being a cheap mercenary in a late trade, which is the only rational thought I have behind Hall's signing, if he has any competitiveness left in him. Or is just self aware of his ceiling as a player.

Nothing he has shown so far has proven to me he's not another version of Phil Kessel - an elite complimentary player and not franchise player. Too one dimensional and flawed to ever be a true star. He will produce, but he won't win you playoff rounds and he won't carry a team. In Kessel's case, not even his line. Hall, sometimes. Yes, I know what Hall did in New Jersey, a garbage team he carried with no pressure. Just like Nash carried Columbus the same way and then sucked ass in New York when he couldn't do what he wanted, felt performance pressure and things mattered.

It doesn't help to pay $9m to players such as Skinner either. Sure, he's a skilled forward, but he doesn't carry his envelope on the ice by about $2-3 million. And Buffalo just added another one dimensional forward such as Skinner to the lineup. Albeit to a better price and terms than Skinner, but that certainly wasn't hard to accomplish.

Buffalo to me tries to play hockey like Toronto and NYR before the salary cap (or Toronto even with the salary cap), without the budget. Big names, no identity or core structure. I have no idea what Hall does in Buffalo apart from getting paid and getting some highlights reels. A comfort star for losing teams. What Buffalo should've done was reforming their core - and if they couldn't, well, I still don't see why they should sign Hall, apart from pleasing simple minded fans.

All in all, you can call me a sceptic. I will eat crow if I'm wrong and Buffalo sucks. I think they will be a 9-12th placed team.

Last edited:

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Funny how this turned into a Buffalo vs NYR thread. Buffalo can start with sorting out their own internal crisis before comparing themselves against any other team. Not being seen as a decade old failure in team composure and results is a start.

I have nothing against Buffalo and I like a couple of their players, but I don't see how adding Hall is any way a team progress for them. It's not the top players that is a problem in Buffalo (especially not the top forwards), it's the bad depth, the weak mentality and the lack of overall talent. They didn't need Hall. They needed a strengthened core and not look like a joke when the top players aren't on the ice. They didn't lose games by giving Eichel more ice time.

How ironic former Edmonton player Hall signed with Buffalo, the opposite side of the same conference coins. How simple minded GM minds think alike. Adding more pipes to the gun without enough ammunition or an iron shield to hold in the other hand. Sure, Buffalo has Dahlin and such on the defensive end, but it's still such a weak core. I'm absolutely not impressed by the Buffalo D and they don't have a goalie to cover for it.

I'm not impressed and I don't see how Hall will make them step up their game. It's not the player they needed, but it's the player they got. Luckily it's on short terms. Hall is not a player you add to win the cup, as to speak. Hall is a player you pay to patch gaping wounds with some dekes - and he's made a career out of it. Or being a cheap mercenary in a late trade, which is the only rational thought I have behind Hall's signing, if he has any competitiveness left in him. Or is just self aware of his ceiling as a player.

Nothing he has shown so far has proven to me he's not another version of Phil Kessel - an elite complimentary player and not franchise player. Too one dimensional and flawed to ever be a true star. He will produce, but he won't win you playoff rounds and he won't carry a team. In Kessel's case, not even his line. Hall, sometimes.

It doesn't help to pay $9m to players such as Skinner either. Sure, he's a skilled forward, but he doesn't carry his envelope on the ice by about $2-3 million. And Buffalo just added another one dimensional forward such as Skinner to the lineup. Albeit to a better price and terms than Skinner, but that certainly wasn't hard to accomplish.

Buffalo to me tries to play hockey like Toronto and NYR before the salary cap (or Toronto even with the salary cap), without the budget. Big names, no identity or core structure. I have no idea what Hall does in Buffalo apart from getting paid and getting some highlights reels. A comfort star for losing teams. What Buffalo should've done was reforming their core - and if they couldn't, well, I still don't see why they should sign Hall, apart from pleasing simple minded fans.

All in all, you can call me a sceptic. I will eat crow if I'm wrong.

lmao

I just had to chime in on this nonsensical wall of text.

You literally wrote that Buffalo's problem was a lack of depth and overall talent, but then claimed that adding someone as talented as Hall won't change the lack of depth or overall talent, even though adding Hall (and Staal) allows Buffalo to ice two quality lines now.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
lmao

I just had to chime in on this nonsensical wall of text.

You literally wrote that Buffalo's problem was a lack of depth and overall talent, but then claimed that adding someone as talented as Hall won't change the lack of depth or overall talent, even though adding Hall (and Staal) allows Buffalo to ice two quality lines
Of course he will change the depth chart, but I don't believe that's what Buffalo needed. Not him. Sure, I might be totally wrong. Time will tell.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Of course he will change the depth chart, but I don't believe that's what Buffalo needed. Not him. Sure, I might be totally wrong. Time will tell.

I think what you meant was that the Sabres biggest problem is how top heavy they are and adding Hall doesnt really change that.

Yeah, Point and Hedman are two of the best players in the league but Gourde-Coleman-Goodrow was extremely effective and that type of depth put Tampa over the top.

The Rangers face a similar problem and desperately need Lemiuex, Chytil, Howden, Gauthier and Kakko to take big step forwards to supplant the top 6 of KZB, Panarin-Strome-assuming Laf, because Panarin and Zib accounted for an unsustainable amount of our production last season.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

Nothing he has shown so far has proven to me he's not another version of Phil Kessel - an elite complimentary player and not franchise player. Too one dimensional and flawed to ever be a true star. He will produce, but he won't win you playoff rounds and he won't carry a team. In Kessel's case, not even his line. Hall, sometimes. Yes, I know what Hall did in New Jersey, a garbage team he carried with no pressure. Just like Nash carried Columbus the same way and then sucked ass in New York when he couldn't do what he wanted, felt performance pressure and things mattered.

All in all, you can call me a sceptic. I will eat crow if I'm wrong and Buffalo sucks. I think they will be a 9-12th placed team.

So basically Buffalo is spinning its wheels signing the Halls of this world. What they should have really done was sign Point, Hedman and Vasilevsky. That would have fixed them.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I can call you worse but Id get in trouble.

You seem to have no idea what the sabres are or who they are.

Its the classic measure of I cant name many of the players on that team so they must suck.

Reactions: bert

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

I think you are right on several points and out to lunch on others but thats neither here nor there. I'm curious about your critique that Buffalo is like the Leafs or Rangers with "Big names"? Landing Hall actually is a great thing for Buffalo and their fanbase because it means they attracted a big name without trades to force it. Kane and o'Rielly were traded for. We couldn't even keep our own "big names" in free agency dating back to Drury and Briere. We are nothing like those teams in this regard. Besides drafting Dahlin and Eichel and if you wanna count again trading for Skinner what big names are you referring too?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Never had any issue with NYR fans...until they came out in droves demanding we expect whatever nonsense Eichel proposals they made.

I think you guys have had a great offseason. Lay off the Buffalo takes. They aren’t working.

Reactions: bert

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Team whose biggest problems were lack of play-driving/scoring forwards apart from Eichel and a lack of center depth adds a 2nd elite play-driving scoring forward and a bona fide 2C. Yeah, I can see how that would be no help whatsoever.

Reactions: bert and hmc1987

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So basically Buffalo is spinning its wheels signing the Halls of this world. What they should have really done was sign Point, Hedman and Vasilevsky. That would have fixed them.
Yes, sure, I might be too hard on them considering the pool of available signings (which I cannot say I have a full grasp on this year) and I might be too hard on Hall. I just think the best road for Buffalo now would've been to improve their core. And maybe that option wasn't available.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes, sure, I might be too hard on them considering the pool of available signings (which I cannot say I have a full grasp on this year) and I might be too hard on Hall. I just think the best road for Buffalo now would've been to improve their core. And maybe that option wasn't available.

Hall wanted a longer term deal from Buffalo. If/when they clear the space they will keep him long term

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hall is gambling on himself

Solid move by Hall... playing with Eichel is going to be dynamic. Sabres should have a better PP and they will score. Can they have a better team D? Hall don't care about that cause he wants to play with talent and Eichel is one of the best young centers in the game today. Can't say I don't blame Hall. Talent wants to play with talent. Anybody who plays sports knows this

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Team whose biggest problems were lack of play-driving/scoring forwards apart from Eichel and a lack of center depth adds a 2nd elite play-driving scoring forward and a bona fide 2C. Yeah, I can see how that would be no help whatsoever.

Buffalo has a Top 6 that can compete with the Top 10 teams in the league:

Oloffson/Eichel/Hall
Skinner/Staal/Reinhart

And their Top 4 D is good too:

Dahlin/Montour
Miller/Ristolainen

Only thing not addressed was goaltending, but Ullmark had a decent season last year.

I expect Buffalo to make the playoffs. Haven't said that in YEARS, but I do expect them to make the postseason.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Well I'm betting if they make an all Canadian division like some were talking about we will see a whole lot more of the Rags this season, so we will see..

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I can call you worse but Id get in trouble.

You seem to have no idea what the sabres are or who they are.

Its the classic measure of I cant name many of the players on that team so they must suck.
Honestly want to know, what and who are the Sabres? Will accept an existentialist response.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You dont think adding Taylor Hall and Eric Stall is improving their core? Hunh?

Once Dahlin takes the next step theyre gonna be really good. With that forward core its a good chance its sooner rather than later.

Hall knows Kruger, he wants to play for him and trusts him. I think the Sabres suprise pundits like you and im a sens fan.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
You dont think adding Taylor Hall and Eric Stall is improving their core? Hunh?

Once Dahlin takes the next step theyre gonna be really good. With that forward core its a good chance its sooner rather than later.

Hall knows Kruger, he wants to play for him and trusts him. I think the Sabres suprise pundits like you and im a sens fan.

You think a 36 year old Eric Staal improved the Sabres "core"?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You think a 36 year old Eric Staal improved the Sabres "core"?
Yes its a good temporary veteran prescence in the 2nd line center position. Is that a hard concept to wrap your head around? They have Cozens, Mittlestadt and Quinn coming on top of all the other good forwards they already have. Its good to have veterans in your lineup, they provide stability and leadership to show what it takes to be a good pro.

The Sabres have some terrific depth up front and Cozens could also push for a spot this season. The D core needs to mature but its getting better. Like I said if Dahlin makes the next step to legitimate number 1 D man they are going to be good. Dont love the goaltending.

Hall Eichel Oloffsson
Skinner Staal Reinhart
Thompson Eakin Mittlestadt
Girgensons Lazar Okposo
Larsson Asplund

Dahlin Miller
Montour Ristolainen
Mccabe Jokiharju

Ullmark
Hutton

ZemgsG

Feb 26, 2009

Playoffs. We need to get to the post-season. Have you tried 9 season drought before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->