Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres re-sign Rasmus Dahlin (3 years, $6M AAV)

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
This.

hes, at 22 favorably compared to the “best” in the league at 24.

he hasn’t hit his ceiling. We haven’t seen his ceiling

all that generational D talk?

its happening,

im sorry,

but it’s true
This is Dahlin's first elite season. Wait if he wins multiple Norris trophies before even thinking about crowning him generational, even that doesn't necessarily mean it would be enough.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Not this season...........

Fox is still a terrific, legit, top-end #1 Dman. Dahlin has just been better so far THIS SEASON.
If you say so. Fox still impacts the whole game on a larger level than Dahlin. I understand it's definitely not as flashy, though. The biggest difference in scoring stats is really just on ice S% on the PP. Fox at 12.6% and Dahlin at 21%. Fox still driving play much better - generating more offense and suppressing more on defense in all situations- just not getting the puck luck like Dahlin.

He's a better all around player than Adam Fox. Thanks for showing up.
Yikes. Posting privileges revoked for that take.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
If you say so. Fox still impacts the whole game on a larger level than Dahlin. I understand it's definitely not as flashy, though. The biggest difference in scoring stats is really just on ice S% on the PP. Fox at 12.6% and Dahlin at 21%. Fox still driving play much better - generating more offense and suppressing more on defense in all situations- just not getting the puck luck like Dahlin.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I'll be very interested to see the degree to which Thompson's contract might play a role with other Sabre deals moving forward. Will his low AAV help bring other deals down and get others to buy in to taking a little more of a team-friendly deal?? The Sabres seem like an extremely connected group where that kind of thing could happen. Likely wishful thinking but its been evident at times in other organizations - the Bruins have done a masterful job over the past decade managing salaries of their top players. Other than maybe McAvoy, their stars have been on team friendly deals for years - and even McAvoy's is not bad.

Anything under $10 will be a steal for Dahlin. If they can somehow convince him to take a deal match Thompson's they would be set up for nearly a decade - and it would be tough for any of their other players (Cozens next year, Tuch in a few, maybe some of the other young guys who emerge) to argue for more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The timing of his next contract is horrible. 24/25 is when the cap is expected to increase. He's going to leap frog everyone on D for AAV... including Makar.

McDavid, Matthews, Dahlin are going to get massive deals.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He's like a young Victor Hedman or Darnell Nurse -- he's not going to set a record for most points but he's very well-poised and strong defensively. He'll score around 50 pts a season while making the big bucks.
download (1).png

Reactions: HabsQC

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
He's like a young Victor Hedman or Darnell Nurse -- he's not going to set a record for most points but he's very well-poised and strong defensively. He'll score around 50 pts a season while making the big bucks.

Be honest, how many games have you watched Dahlin play? 50 pts?? LMAO

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
WOW, and somehow the Oilers are paying useless Nurse $9.25 a year for the next 8 years. Loser management.

Reactions: DekeyPete

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Everyone is rightfully railing this comment for the "50 points" bit, but flying under the radar and equally alarming is the fact that you compared Nurse to Hedman. What.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'll be very interested to see the degree to which Thompson's contract might play a role with other Sabre deals moving forward. Will his low AAV help bring other deals down and get others to buy in to taking a little more of a team-friendly deal?? The Sabres seem like an extremely connected group where that kind of thing could happen. Likely wishful thinking but its been evident at times in other organizations - the Bruins have done a masterful job over the past decade managing salaries of their top players. Other than maybe McAvoy, their stars have been on team friendly deals for years - and even McAvoy's is not bad.

Anything under $10 will be a steal for Dahlin. If they can somehow convince him to take a deal match Thompson's they would be set up for nearly a decade - and it would be tough for any of their other players (Cozens next year, Tuch in a few, maybe some of the other young guys who emerge) to argue for more.
You pay players what they're worth and if they're willing to take a discount then that's great. The Avs tried to do that in the Duchene era which led to bad blood between the Avs and ROR. There is zero chance Dahlin takes what Thompson is making, and even if he did that has no bearing on other players contract.

You get players at team-friendly deals by signing them to deals before they breakout and betting on the player, not by some best player internal cap.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
You pay players what they're worth and if they're willing to take a discount then that's great. The Avs tried to do that in the Duchene era which led to bad blood between the Avs and ROR. There is zero chance Dahlin takes what Thompson is making, and even if he did that has no bearing on other players contract.

You get players at team-friendly deals by signing them to deals before they breakout and betting on the player, not by some best player internal cap.
Mostly agree.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Dahlin has one less assist in 4 less games played and has more even strength goals than Fox has total. I'd struggle to find clips where Dahlin has made mistakes defensively. Literally the only thing there that is tangible is that Dahlin takes more penalties.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Dahlin has one less assist in 4 less games played and has more even strength goals than Fox has total. I'd struggle to find clips where Dahlin has made mistakes defensively. Literally the only thing there that is tangible is that Dahlin takes more penalties.
I guess if you only looking at surface level stats like that then it can be a reasonable conclusion to take away, although it's an ill-informed and incorrect one. Fox is having a better season than his Norris-winning season by all the metrics and is impacting the game better than any D-man in the league. I could list all the metrics but it will probably go over most heads anyways. Ran across these in an article today to support my point:

1673360946098.png

1673360954904.png

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I guess if you only looking at surface level stats like that then it can be a reasonable conclusion to take away, although it's an ill-informed and incorrect one. Fox is having a better season than his Norris-winning season by all the metrics and is impacting the game better than any D-man in the league. I could list all the metrics but it will probably go over most heads anyways. Ran across these in an article today to support my point:

View attachment 633022
View attachment 633023
Shut the site down.. you just ended all discussion with that article.

Well done.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
bro what, he has way more offensive instincts than both of those two.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Advanced Statistics. The stats are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the stats will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also JFresh's' nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his charts - his personal syle draws heavily from dom at the athletic literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these stats, to realise that they're not just genius- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Advanced Stats truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the info in JFresh's existential chart posting which itself is a cryptic reference to Datsyuk's Russian epic CF%. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Advanced Stats genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Advanced Statistics. The stats are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the stats will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also JFresh's' nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his charts - his personal syle draws heavily from dom at the athletic literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these stats, to realise that they're not just genius- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Advanced Stats truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the info in JFresh's existential chart posting which itself is a cryptic reference to Datsyuk's Russian epic CF%. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Advanced Stats genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

You get a like for the use of addlepated. It’s amusing that it means confused when the two original words that make it up means “stinky headed” though

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I always believed in this young man. Shame on those who turned on him

Jfresh charts gives massive brain power to idiots , I love them. They are hilarious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad