Confirmed Trade: [BUF/CHI] Alex Nylander for Henri Jokiharju

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Olofsson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nylander

I hate to say; i told "you" so. But i was right.

Last year/season when Olofsson was destroying the AHL and Nylander was doing nothing,
i said Olofsson was already sooooo much better what Nylander ever will be, i got laughed (ridiculed) at, more than by just one time
- who's laughing now...i guess, not as Hawks fans.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Last year/season when Olofsson was destroying the AHL and Nylander was doing nothing,
i said Olofsson was already sooooo much better what Nylander ever will be, i got laughed (ridiculed) at, more than by just one time
i am with you on this. never like the trade and still bitches about it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I disagree....Nylander has talent.

A big factor in player development is if you feel like you are being screwed over. Nylander felt he was being screwed over because he wasnt given an opportunity to play in the NHL because he was a top 10 pick.

I think Nylander has a higher upside than Jokihatju

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
upload_2019-12-11_9-36-3.png

definitely looking like a win for the sabres so far, unsurprisingly.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

A big factor in player development is if you feel like you are being screwed over. Nylander felt he was being screwed over because he wasnt given an opportunity to play in the NHL because he was a top 10 pick.

When is that upside gonna show itself thou?, a fair question i'd say. 4th year in the NHL.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
definitely looking like a win for the sabres so far, unsurprisingly.

I'd say the jury's out and here's why:

We're seeing guys who half-assed it in Chicago, over and over, give more effort in all 3 zones after being moved then becoming bonafide NHL players. Schmaltz, for instance, a soft middle of the ice largely invisible center who really wanted to either cherry pick or defer to Kane now is an aggressive 2-way centerman not scared to hit the boards and become his own man in Arizona. Meanwhile, in Chicago, Dylan Strome makes Patrick Kane look like a grinding 2-way Selke stud and moreover Kane has become more aggressive in all zones because he's stuck with possibly the softest center in the league. But, we thought we traded the softest center in the league when we traded Schmaltz away???? We got the same crap back, lol.

Kahun? Every Hawk fan saw the potential in him. Joker, same deal, he was hesitant in his play and worried about losing his ice time do to tiny details. In Buffalo he looks like a more confident player willing to take on normal NHL caliber defensive skills to win games.

The entire roster in Chicago looks like charmin-soft IDGAF players besides Kane, Lehner, and some young guys. And, no matter how many opportunities they generate there is a clear lack of scoring confidence from top to bottom on the whole team.

Nylander has high potential, when he works on boards & takes matters into his own hands with confidence the guy is a stud. He was like that to start the season and appears to have given up. Much like the majority of the team has. The leadership is rotten in Chicago.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
[QUOTE

Nylander has high potential, when he works on boards & takes matters into his own hands with confidence the guy is a stud. He was like that to start the season and appears to have given up. [/QUOTE]

Like this in Buffalo too. He's still young but he seems like a kid who needs to decide soon if he'll pay the price to last in NHL. It's a tough league, very few last without working on their game no matter the talent.

Reactions: Onry

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Nylander was always a guy that oozed talent. Then he’d come up and play perimeter hockey and get sent back down. Joker has been pretty darn good and a sight better than anything we saw from nylander in his time here.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nylander was always a guy that oozed talent. Then he’d come up and play perimeter hockey and get sent back down. Joker has been pretty darn good and a sight better than anything we saw from nylander in his time here.

not true

his call ups wee done post TDL for a 7 or so game call ups to not burn his ELC.

this year was fid 1st true ELC year at 20 and he got called up inn March and had some games before being sent back down.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Does Chicago even have a better D man than Jokiharju?
Seeing as how Keith and De Haan are possibly dead at this point (or recovering from a groin and shoulder injury, respectively), I'd say no. Both of those guys, when healthy, are better, but Keith might miss a few more weeks and De Haan might be done for the year.

Boqvist is currently on the team and he certainly has more potential, but he's also a full year younger than Joki and a year's difference can be pretty noticeable when it comes to defenders that young.

Some Hawks fans are higher on Ian Mitchell than Joki too, but until Mitchell shows he can not only handle this league, but excel in it, I have my doubts he'll ever be more than what Joki is currently.

Reactions: irunthepeg

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

I somewhat disagree with this take as a fellow Sabres fan (if you’re saying he should have been gifted a spot in Buffalo).

Not getting called up was as much on Nylander, if not more, as it was on Buffalo.
He gave little to no effort in the AHL for long stretches of time. He was almost invisible in many Amerks games I watched.

To me, It seemed like Buffalo wanted to call him up at times but couldn’t justify it over other players performing much better. If they preach that you need to earn a call-up and whoever has earned it most will get the call, how can they call up Nylander and still preach that?

I can remember at least 2 separate times where Nylander strung together a handful of good games in Rochester and was called up immediately after. That tells me they wanted him in buffalo but were waiting for him to give them a reason to call him up.

If Nylander decided not to try because his feeling were hurt about someone more deserving getting a call-up, that’s on him, not the Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I somewhat disagree with this take as a fellow Sabres fan (if you’re saying he should have been gifted a spot in Buffalo).

Not getting called up was as much on Nylander, if not more, as it was on Buffalo.
He gave little to no effort in the AHL for long stretches of time. He was almost invisible in many Amerks games I watched.

To me, It seemed like Buffalo wanted to call him up at times but couldn’t justify it over other players performing much better. If they preach that you need to earn a call-up and whoever has earned it most will get the call, how can they call up Nylander and still preach that?

I can remember at least 2 separate times where Nylander strung together a handful of good games in Rochester and was called up immediately after. That tells me they wanted him in buffalo but were waiting for him to give them a reason to call him up.

If Nylander decided not to try because his feeling were hurt about someone more deserving getting a call-up, that’s on him, not the Sabres.

Agreed. There was definitely a sense of entitlement and how he performed in the Americans’ lineup. That’s on him. Just because he was drafted in a certain position doesn’t gift him anything because he didn’t do the work required. He needed to grow up.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Good god. Nylander is fine - he is one of the few Hawks passing the eye test this season. My only complaint is that he couldn’t carry Toews. But, at this point there are few who could.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Seeing as how Keith and De Haan are possibly dead at this point (or recovering from a groin and shoulder injury, respectively), I'd say no. Both of those guys, when healthy, are better, but Keith might miss a few more weeks and De Haan might be done for the year.

Boqvist is currently on the team and he certainly has more potential, but he's also a full year younger than Joki and a year's difference can be pretty noticeable when it comes to defenders that young.

Some Hawks fans are higher on Ian Mitchell than Joki too, but until Mitchell shows he can not only handle this league, but excel in it, I have my doubts he'll ever be more than what Joki is currently.
I’m curious, why do Hawk fans think Mitchell has more potential when they drafted Joki higher in same draft class, Joki is younger and already succeeding at NHL level?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m curious, why do Hawk fans think Mitchell has more potential when they drafted Joki higher in same draft class, Joki is younger and already succeeding at NHL level?

Thinking like that makes accepting this trade easier.

Some guys few years away from the NHL could be better than the current 19-20y old developing in the NHL.
The kid who has shown great development post draft.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Mitchell has a lot of good skills. He's as fast as Joki is, has better pivots and a better shot, and like Jokiharju, is known to be very reliable defensively (his point totals could be way higher if he weren't so concentrated on his defensive responsibilities). But defending in the NCAA is a lot different than the NHL. Jokiharju was the best defender here last year when it came to protecting the blue line; always kept a tight gap, good stick work, forced teams to dump and chase.

No Hawks fan knows how Mitchell is when it comes to defending against pros. They see how good his offensive attributes are and they know that he is a guy who gives a shit about his defensive game, so they instantly think that he's just like Jokiharju, but with better offense. But that's not necessarily the case. He could be good defensively in the NHL, but due to his size (which is a tad smaller than Joki) or due simply to the way he thinks the game, he might not be (likely won't be IMO) as good as Joki is defensively.

I see Joki as a #2-3, and provided Mitchell makes the NHL (which I think he does), I expect he'll become a good middle pairing guy(#3-4) that'll get time on the 2nd PP unit. Some similar attributes between the two, but Joki is far more proven right now and while there is more risk/reward with Mitchell, I'm currently not expecting him to become a better defender than Joki.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
not true

his call ups wee done post TDL for a 7 or so game call ups to not burn his ELC.

this year was fid 1st true ELC year at 20 and he got called up inn March and had some games before being sent back down.
You didn’t say anything about my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad