Confirmed Trade: [BUF/CHI] Alex Nylander for Henri Jokiharju

Status
Not open for further replies.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
...Joker, same deal, he was hesitant in his play and worried about losing his ice time do to tiny details....

Not really, based on my observations. He looked just as great playing for Quenneville in Chicago, as he does now in Buffalo. Now, when Colliton came in, things changed. His time under Colliton is more, shall we say, controvesial? So, it's more accurate to say Joker played great for anyone except Colliton. Not as tidy a narrative perhaps, but more accurate IMO.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Nylander has not looked out of place at all. People are overreacting. But colliton is clearly trying to over teach him the defensive two way side of the game and numbing his natural offensive instincts. It's clear colliton is not working or as smart as he thinks he is. Hell, nylander started out getting fourth line linemates and minutes after about game 3 and when the Hawks were sliding bad, he threw him on top line at the same time toews was doing his usual disappearing act.

Nylander often creates chances out of nothing and maintains good possession. Just tired of seeing him paired with guys like Zack Smith and expecting him to wow like a top line forward

Colliton also started out the season with a defensive heavy system (that is terrible) without the personnel to execute and he doesn't know what he's doing. Nylander is doing surprisingly well despite being on a team, system, and situation that is setting him up to fail

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Botterill deserves major credit for trading his predecessors last 1st round pick into a major contributor. Crazy how good Joki is for being 20 years old. Thank you Hawks. Nylander will probably carve out a role in Chicago. Was not going to in Buffalo.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Ralph Krueger with some high praise for Jokiharju (starts around 5:15 in the video)

He says that Joker comes in every day, works hard and does whatever the team needs of him. He says that he started at somewhere between 6-9 on the depth chart at the start of camp and put his head down and went to work. Says he is a reason why they have this situation right now (having to scratch other defenseman. Iirc Joker is 1 of only 7 Sabres not to be scratched at all this season).

Then he says:

"He's just somebody, with the puck, who's managing it as well as anybody I've seen and that's one of the reasons his defensive game is responsible and passionate. I've said it before, I'll say it again, everybody in the Sabres family needs to be really excited about Henri's future."

Reactions: FinPanda

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I still have no idea what the heck Stan Bowman is trying to build.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He was hoping he still had a foundation to build on.
But he made the mistake of replacing JQ with an amateur.
That, but he just seems directionless in most of his moves too.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I remember when Brannstrom vs Jokiharju was a serious debate. Right now it isn't close.

Jokiharju has somehow managed to get it all going. He has developed very fast, getting continously better almost month after month.

I have no idea how he has done it. He looks like a guy who is going to be in the league at least 10 years.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Jokiharju has somehow managed to get it all going. He has developed very fast, getting continously better almost month after month.

I have no idea how he has done it. He looks like a guy who is going to be in the league at least 10 years.
I don't think Jokiharju is going to get much better than he is now. There's just not a ton of room for growth there. I think people tend to overrate him because he's 20 years old. Ask yourself if you'd be happy with him if he was 25 right now.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don't think Jokiharju is going to get much better than he is now. There's just not a ton of room for growth there. I think people tend to overrate him because he's 20 years old. Ask yourself if you'd be happy with him if he was 25 right now.
He's one of their best defenders. So if all he ever is is what he currently is, then he's a #2-3 defenseman, which is pretty damn good.

Nylander needs to wake the hell up and start playing like he did early in the season, because at that point this trade wasn't looking too terrible, but now it's getting back to being really one sided.

Reactions: Stubu

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Damn it, of course. He doesn’t have many weaknesses, he already looks like solid #4, he can skate, he can defend himself well and move the puck, the guy has all the tools and he constantly works and works. I think he can grow into very good #3 or good #2.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
uh...yes? spoken like someone who hasn't watch many Sabres games this season. No need to make stuff up cause you lost a trade.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
uh...yes? spoken like someone who hasn't watch many Sabres games this season. No need to make stuff up cause you lost a trade.
That was my opinion based on what I saw of him last year. Jokiharju is what he is, and that's a solid 2nd pairing D. He was that last year. I don't ever think that he's going to take a step to be a top pairing D. He just doesn't have the offensive ability.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yea Yea Yea.

Jokiharju is maxed out. Real expert there.

Some fans just go to lenghts to defend bad trades.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yea Yea Yea.

Jokiharju is maxed out. Real expert there.

Some fans just go to lenghts to defend bad trades.
I thought that before he was traded, but whatever. I'm not even defending the trade. I thought it was poor asset management by the Hawks to trade him before he had a full NHL season. Go back earlier in the thread.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
That was my opinion based on what I saw of him last year. Jokiharju is what he is, and that's a solid 2nd pairing D. He was that last year. I don't ever think that he's going to take a step to be a top pairing D. He just doesn't have the offensive ability.

Any player that a "2nd pairing D" at 19 is a hell of a lot likely to become more than that than the vast majority of teenage NHL prospects

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Any player that a "2nd pairing D" at 19 is a hell of a lot likely to become more than that than the vast majority of teenage NHL prospects
That's a fan fallacy. I think he's already maxed out. His shot is weeeaaaak. He's a really good defender, a good passer but he's not a threat to score. Eventually, this will be scouted and teams will adjust accordingly. He's also an average skater. There's a reason he almost made it to the second round in 2017. He's the defenseman version of Tolvanen as a prospect. There's a reason they made it to the bottom of the first round, and that's because other players will pass them as they get older.

That being said, since about November 1st, Nylander has been disappointing. He looked like a player in October.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->