Confirmed Trade: [BUF/CHI] Alex Nylander for Henri Jokiharju

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Yea Yea Yea.

Jokiharju is maxed out. Real expert there.

Some fans just go to lenghts to defend bad trades.
Yep, no reasonable expectation to believe a 20 year old will get any better because he’s playing well at the moment. Maxed out. Especially because his future partner is only 19.

Reactions: BB88

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He's one of their best defenders. So if all he ever is is what he currently is, then he's a #2-3 defenseman, which is pretty damn good.

Nylander needs to wake the hell up and start playing like he did early in the season, because at that point this trade wasn't looking too terrible, but now it's getting back to being really one sided.
Don't disagree. I wouldn't call what he's doing a #2 defenseman.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Botterill deserves major credit for trading his predecessors last 1st round pick into a major contributor. Crazy how good Joki is for being 20 years old. Thank you Hawks. Nylander will probably carve out a role in Chicago. Was not going to in Buffalo.

One of the more underrated things a GM can do is buy low on former 1st round picks that aren't busts but aren't doing well either

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
That's a fan fallacy. I think he's already maxed out. His shot is weeeaaaak. He's a really good defender, a good passer but he's not a threat to score. Eventually, this will be scouted and teams will adjust accordingly. He's also an average skater. There's a reason he almost made it to the second round in 2017. He's the defenseman version of Tolvanen as a prospect. There's a reason they made it to the bottom of the first round, and that's because other players will pass them as they get older.

That being said, since about November 1st, Nylander has been disappointing. He looked like a player in October.
His shot is weak? Weird, I’ve been watching him boom some cannons from the blue line. Reinhart has been tipping some of them for goals but he’s hit a few as well.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think the wishful thinking is done in Chicago because if Boqvist or Mitchell don’t pan out, this is a disaster of a trade for the Hawks.
Adam Boqvist has already shown more than Jokiharju ever did in Chicago.
Boqvist's mistakes are ones of aggression, not lack of understanding. Tends to get caught roving. Makes the smart play most of the time.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Boqvist's mistakes are ones of aggression, not lack of understanding.
oh i hate to disagree with a fellow Bhawks fan, but you are wrong. Boqvist defensive responsibility alone put him behind Joker.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Boqvist's mistakes are ones of aggression, not lack of understanding. Tends to get caught roving. Makes the smart play most of the time.

Edit. Nice edit.

Attachments

• B0A0FCB8-3DA2-4A99-A729-773BDBC25BED.jpeg
    B0A0FCB8-3DA2-4A99-A729-773BDBC25BED.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 5

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Edit. Nice edit.
When Boqvist is in his own zone, he defends every bit as well as Jokiharju. I've yet to see him make an egregious mistake that didn't involve allowing an odd man rush that started with him getting caught up ice in the opposing zone. There's very little doubt in my mind that Boqvist will soar past Jokiharju and be spoken about as one of, if not the best offensive defensemen in the NHL within the next 3-4 years.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
When Boqvist is in his own zone, he defends every bit as well as Jokiharju. I've yet to see him make an egregious mistake that didn't involve allowing an odd man rush that started with him getting caught up ice in the opposing zone.
In his 8 games? Look, i like the kid as a prospect but to act like he’s already on the same level as Joker is laughable. Stop being a homer.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
In his 8 games? Look, i like the kid as a prospect but to act like he’s already on the same level as Joker is laughable. Stop being a homer.
I'm not being a homer. He's already BETTER than Jokiharju.
I think there are Norris trophies in Boqvist's future. I can't say that about Jokiharju.
Boqvist is a 19 year old Erik Karlsson who is already ahead of Karlsson defensively at the same age.

If I'm wrong, you're free to find this post in 5 years and roast me. Not afraid to admit when I mess up.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think there are Norris trophies in Boqvist's future. I can't say that about Jokiharju.
Boqvist is a 19 year old Erik Karlsson who is already ahead of Karlsson defensively at the same age.

If I'm wrong, you're free to find this post in 5 years and roast me. Not afraid to admit when I mess up.
well lets say we have a difference of opinions .....

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

totally not a homer

:huh:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well, he also apparently forgot to add that Boqvist will be better than Dahlin, Heiskanen and Makar. :sarcasm:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Well, he also apparently forgot to add that Boqvist will be better than Dahlin, Heiskanen and Makar. :sarcasm:
I think he will reach that tier in time. In the conversation, yes. He has physical limitations that will prevent him from getting to Dahlin levels but I absolutely think he can reach Heiskanen/Makar level. He's just a different player. He's 2 years younger than Heiskanen and Makar. Boqvist is different, similar to how Karlsson and Keith are/were different. Boqvist is going to put up ridiculous amounts of points while the other guys will be in the 50-60 point range but better defenders.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
When Boqvist is in his own zone, he defends every bit as well as Jokiharju. I've yet to see him make an egregious mistake that didn't involve allowing an odd man rush that started with him getting caught up ice in the opposing zone. There's very little doubt in my mind that Boqvist will soar past Jokiharju and be spoken about as one of, if not the best offensive defensemen in the NHL within the next 3-4 years.

Boqvist was noticeably weak defensively in London last year too

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think he will reach that tier in time. In the conversation, yes. He has physical limitations that will prevent him from getting to Dahlin levels but I absolutely think he can reach Heiskanen/Makar level. He's just a different player. He's 2 years younger than Heiskanen and Makar. Boqvist is different, similar to how Karlsson and Keith are/were different. Boqvist is going to put up ridiculous amounts of points while the other guys will be in the 50-60 point range but better defenders.
Maybe yes. I'm not saying that Boqvist is a bad prospect, you simply underestimate Joki and obviously have not seen all of Buffalo's games this season, and these comments about the fact that he will no longer progress look very strange.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Boqvist was noticeably weak defensively in London last year too
I don't know what you were watching. I caught as many London games as I could in the States and he was their best defender in each game.

Boqvist has moments that he looks worse than he actually is because he's essentially playing 4th forward in the opposing zone.

Focus on when he's already in his own zone.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't know what you were watching. I caught as many London games as I could in the States and he was their best defender in each game.

Yeah that tells me you weren't watching properly.

I saw 50+ London games and my opinion was basically shared by Knights fans.

Regula was the Knights best defensive defenseman.

I still liked Boqvist mind you.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah that tells me you weren't watching properly.

I saw 50+ London games and my opinion was basically shared by Knights fans.

Regula was the Knights best defensive defenseman.

I still liked Boqvist mind you.
Well that bodes well because Regula and Boqvist might be playing together for a long time.
I only caught 5-6 games. Maybe I happened to get some of Boqvist's better games.
If you watched 50 games, I can't really argue. They were occasionally on NHL Network.

What makes Boqvist special is that he has a 1st line forward's skillset and has the ability, at times, (as of right now) to defend at an above average level. Boqvist was 2 weeks from being in the 2019 draft so he's one of the younger draft+2 players.

My belief is that Boqvist is one of those players who is going to zoom past his peers in his early-mid 20s, even though he might be a little behind currently.

I might be one of the highest people on Boqvist on the board, so take that into account. I thought he was at worst, the 4th best player in the 2018 draft. I would have taken him over anyone except Dahlin and Svechnikov.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

At 19y Heiskanen was logging top pair minutes, playing in every situation and awesome in the playoffs.
At 20y he's a 2way #1D.

Miro is 1 year older than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad