Confirmed Trade: [BUF/CHI] Alex Nylander for Henri Jokiharju

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I gotta say he's been something Buffalo has desperately needed for years a guy who looks so incredibly comfortable defending in his own zone and doesn't panic under pressure and rarely makes mistakes as well as transitions the puck out consistently. There isn't another better at it on the team not even Dahlin. Love seeing the simple play being made right after a forward screws up and Joker calmly gets the puck out relieving his goalie.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
That's a fan fallacy. I think he's already maxed out. His shot is weeeaaaak. He's a really good defender, a good passer but he's not a threat to score. Eventually, this will be scouted and teams will adjust accordingly. He's also an average skater. There's a reason he almost made it to the second round in 2017. He's the defenseman version of Tolvanen as a prospect. There's a reason they made it to the bottom of the first round, and that's because other players will pass them as they get older.

That being said, since about November 1st, Nylander has been disappointing. He looked like a player in October.

Wow this 19 year old is weak in the easiest aspects of hockey to work on and has issues which can even go away on their own as players physically and mentally mature from teenagers to young adults. Clearly he's been pigeonholed already.

I'm sure "there's a reason they fell to the bottom of the 1st round" also applies to that bust DeBrincat right?

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I have literally watched Joker get better all season long. From where he was in training camp+preseason, to where he is now, there’s been a lot of growth.

I also just posted a video from the coach talking about how Joker continues to get better and how he’s nowhere near his ceiling and Buffalo fans should be really excited about that.

I see no reason to think a kid that just turned 20 and hasn’t even played a full season worth of NHL games yet can’t continue to get better. Especially when it comes to things like his shot and skating.

To say an NHL player can’t improve in those areas is just silly...

And that players drafted before him will surely pass him by is also a silly statement.

I mean, couldn’t we also say that he should be BEHIND the players he was drafted in front of, not ahead of (some of) them? And If he’s already ahead of them 2 years into his development, why should we assume that they will for sure pass him by?

But even if he has peaked at 19/20 and this is what he is, I’ll gladly take him. (Btw, how often do NHL d men peak at 19...?)

Personally, I see a potential partner on the top pair with Dahlin for the next decade. At worst, I think he’ll be a #3 (which he’s already well on his way to being).

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Wow this 19 year old is weak in the easiest aspects of hockey to work on and has issues which can even go away on their own as players physically and mentally mature from teenagers to young adults. Clearly he's been pigeonholed already.

I'm sure "there's a reason they fell to the bottom of the 1st round" also applies to that bust DeBrincat right?
And Duncan Keith of course.

The guys drafted ahead of him in 2002 will surely pass him by any day now... :laugh:

2002 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
By the way, I'm not even defending this trade, but people need to hold their horses anointing Jokiharju the next Nicklas Lidstrom.
Everyone is talking about him like he's a future Norris winnner. Hold your horses.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
At 19y Heiskanen was logging top pair minutes, playing in every situation and awesome in the playoffs.
At 20y he's a 2way #1D.

Miro is 1 year older than him.
Dahlin is 4 months older than Boqvist as well. I think there’s a bit more of a difference than physical stature.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Have not been impressed with Jokiharju at all. He is only in his draft+3 year and could still improve, but as of right now he is no more than a bottom pairing D on a good team.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Have not been impressed with Jokiharju at all. He is only in his draft+3 year and could still improve, but as of right now he is no more than a bottom pairing D on a good team.

Wut? Hes our 2nd best defenseman, and has been our most consistent all season. I wouldnt exactly say we are good either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad