Confirmed Trade: [BUF/CHI] Alex Nylander for Henri Jokiharju

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Dumb trade by Chicago. I'm glad for Jokiharju though. Easier for him to get minutes in Buffalo after that head coach change last season.

Reactions: Homesick

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm saying. Gonna be alot of crow eaten and this is coming from someone who likes Jokiharju alot as a player.

Team that's drafted in the lottery for ten years because they cant develop players also couldn't develop Nylander so clearly Nylander is toast...why should the Hawks even bother to have him show up for camp...Botterill is just so much better than Bowman...ROR for dogshit. Evander Kane for a 2nd at a TDL...wizard moves...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Be a hobey Baker nominee as a sophomore. He has a trajectory further out but the past years even theres been some people who rate him beyond Joki.

I'm not also in the big fear the college signee. Most all guys that have gone the UDFA after college route were made upset to an extent by their team. Guys like Butcher & Hayes wanted to sign earlier but were told to stay in college. Some others had teammates traded or away. And its typically northern eastern guys who just want to stay in that area that are leaving mostly. The fears happen nowadays worh every prospect and it's gotten silly.
82 players were Hobey Baker nominees.

And Scott Perunovich (for just 1 example) was also a Soph this year, and he ain't better than Joki either.

Wondering, other than Blackhawks fans, who has Mitchell rated ahead of Joker? I'm sure there are some, I'm not doubting you, but I'd like to read the reasoning on that one. And for what it's worth, there are a lot of people who had Joki rated above Mitchell and (more importantly) above Alex Nylander.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Crow

May 19, 2014
I don't think many of you understand. Nylander's Dad had litany of contract disputes when he was an NHLer. Now he is heavily involved in his son's contracts. He is a nightmare, and both his sons WILL NOT take less pay/discounts.
Chicago typically pays market value anyway.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
82 players were Hobey Baker nominees.

And Scott Perunovich (for just 1 example) was also a Soph this year, and he ain't better than Joki either.

Wondering, other than Blackhawks fans, who has Mitchell rated ahead of Joker? I'm sure there are some, I'm not doubting you, but I'd like to read the reasoning on that one. And for what it's worth, there are a lot of people who had Joki rated above Mitchell and (more importantly) above Alex Nylander.
Any person worth their salt believes Mitchell is better than Jokiharju.

The problem is Jokiharju played in the CHL, was a 1st round draft pick, and had some NHL games as a 19 year old. Most people have never even heard of Ian Mitchell even though he's the superior player.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Dumb trade by Chicago. I'm glad for Jokiharju though. Easier for him to get minutes in Buffalo after that head coach change last season.
Harder. He's fifth in line for RHD's in Buffalo. Four better, more expensive, one-way deal RHD's ahead of him. He will start in Rochester.

He had it better in Chicago with a legit shot at cracking the lineup.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Team that's drafted in the lottery for ten years because they cant develop players also couldn't develop Nylander so clearly Nylander is toast...why should the Hawks even bother to have him show up for camp...Botterill is just so much better than Bowman...ROR for dog****. Evander Kane for a 2nd at a TDL...wizard moves...
Kane was not traded for a second.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Team that's drafted in the lottery for ten years because they cant develop players also couldn't develop Nylander so clearly Nylander is toast...why should the Hawks even bother to have him show up for camp...Botterill is just so much better than Bowman...ROR for dog****. Evander Kane for a 2nd at a TDL...wizard moves...

We know that the organization has been poorly managed, but we still watch the games and constantly evaluate the team's performance. We are on this site because we enjoy watching prospects develop. Nylander will get a boost from getting traded and a fresh start, but he has been one of the least driven players I have witnessed. There is no intrinsic motivation, and he clearly expected to be gifted an NHL spot on a forward starved NHL team, yet he couldn't even beat out CJ Smith. He is and will remain a perimeter player. He will score some goals with his wrist shot, and he has decent vision and excellent hands. Despite this, he never stood out in the AHL in any of the games that I watched live. I wanted to see him do something that would change my opinion of him, and I would often key in on him. I hope he flourishes on the Blackhawks, and many have posited that he is better suited in the NHL than lower leagues. He looked somewhat decent in limited time on Eichel's wing at the end of the year, but again, my expectations were pretty low. Maybe he digs down and is able to display an ounce of tenacity in Chicago, because he certainly couldn't muster any in this organization.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Harder. He's fifth in line for RHD's in Buffalo. Four better, more expensive, one-way deal RHD's ahead of him. He will start in Rochester.

Jokiharju would've started in Rockford. He would not have made the roster.

Reactions: SoCalFan

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Sounds like dad is do8ng his job as a father and imparting valuable life lessons on his off spring. Such as not accepting less than you feel your worth.

After all, in the world in real life the responsibility of financial security is on one's self, the Bernie Sanders fantasy land isnt a reality.

On the surface it looks like good advice. Ultimately it created a divisive fanbase, a P.R. nightmare, and a stunted / poor season. Ironically it could affect his next contract.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

For now... :popcorn:

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I kind of like this trade for Chicago. Nylander is young and has improved every year since he was drafted. Jokiharju is tough to give up but despite his strong showing in the NHL at just 19, I think his career role may be something along the lines of a strong 3/4. I don't consider it a sure thing that he's going to end up a franchise type defenseman. He has a long ways to go and the list of NHL defenders that debuted at 19 but didn't take that huge leap to high end player in the league is very large. Nylander obviously could end up even worse if he plateaus as an AHL scorer.

It's a gamble, but I think Chicago is hoping that the same environment that had Dylan Strome break out in a big way does the same for Nylander. There's an argument that Buffalo isn't doing the best job developing young scoring forwards, other than a phenom talent in Eichel. Ultimately, I think the trade boils down to Chicago selling high on Joki and buying low on a player who was probably considered more talented as a teenager. The age difference isn't massive either, just ~15 months.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Yes you can, but I just think it's a bit disingenuous to trade your second-best defensive prospect for a wing prospect that has had trouble scoring at the AHL level and hasn't improved that much since his draft year. Perhaps I'm wrong and Stan will have pulled a fast one on Buffalo just like he did with Arizona for Strome, with Nylander establishing himself as a top 6 forward soon, but I'm not getting that kind of feeling right now for that trade.

I too, like a lot of Hawks fans, was surprised by this deal too, and I knew that Nylander probably had an expiry date on him in Buffalo, but at least he finally showed a bit of life last year and I’m guessing that this is what the Hawks are hoping for....indeed the same success they had last year with Strome. If they do, then this can be a good trade for the Hawks!

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I kind of like this trade for Chicago. Nylander is young and has improved every year since he was drafted. Jokiharju is tough to give up but despite his strong showing in the NHL at just 19, I think his career role may be something along the lines of a strong 3/4. I don't consider it a sure thing that he's going to end up a franchise type defenseman. He has a long ways to go and the list of NHL defenders that debuted at 19 but didn't take that huge leap to high end player in the league is very large. Nylander obviously could end up even worse if he plateaus as an AHL scorer.

It's a gamble, but I think Chicago is hoping that the same environment that had Dylan Strome break out in a big way does the same for Nylander. There's an argument that Buffalo isn't doing the best job developing young scoring forwards, other than a phenom talent in Eichel. Ultimately, I think the trade boils down to Chicago selling high on Joki and buying low on a player who was probably considered more talented as a teenager. The age difference isn't massive either, just ~15 months.
Rational take instead of
OMG WTF are you doing Stan???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad