Dreger: Buchnevich is likely to be traded

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Does a 2025 first, 2024 second, Sam Bolduc and Oliver Wahlstrom get it done at 50%? We'd likely be outbid right?
At next years trade deadline that is definitely enough. Not now.

Late 1st, 2nd and a top prospect (I mean top) to get him now. Bolduc is pretty good but not "high end".

I think he ends up staying until the offseason. I'm not sure the return is much worse at all in June than it would be right now. Holding onto him into next season though is probably a mistake.

How about Buch at 50% retained to the Jets for Cole Perfetti, Ville Heinola, 2025 1st and 2024 2nd (Montreals)
I think that's roughly the asking price from Armstrong. He's waiting for someone to agree to it. I'd be happy with that.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I'd be happy with Perfetti and a small add.
As a Jets fan I’d do that in a second. I love Perfetti and feel he is going to be a great young player for many years. But the Jets need to go for it. They have all their core locked up for a few more years at great prices, they are in their prime, and adding Buch would solve a lot of lineup issues.

Jets have McGroraty, Lambert, Barlow, Lucious etc all coming soon, and all wingers so they would be dealing from a position of organizational strength. The org can only stockpile prospects and picks for so long, at some point they have to actually be aggresive and make a move to go all in. They cant just sit back expecting to win while watching all the other teams around them get stronger.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
The value is going down next year, not up.

If you're going to trade him, subpar right now is probably still going to be the best deal.
In the summer there might be more time without a deadline to find a team Buch is willing to sign with long-term...and hopefully the market opens up a bit more in terms of the Cap. There really isn't any reason to make a panic move at the moment with your best asset who will still be highly coveted leaguewide 3 months from now.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Armstrong is delusional
This entire time the reports surrounding Army and Buch have been "Armstrong is willing to trade Buch only if his price is met, if not he is perfectly happy to keep him" Armstrong was not in a position where he NEEDED to trade Buch, only in a position where he could trade him if we were receiving a return that would be too good to pass up.

Reactions: stl76

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
This entire time the reports surrounding Army and Buch have been "Armstrong is willing to trade Buch only if his price is met, if not he is perfectly happy to keep him" Armstrong was not in a position where he NEEDED to trade Buch, only in a position where he could trade him if we were receiving a return that would be too good to pass up.
But it has also been reported that they are willing to eat 50% of his contract......

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If his price was met. Being willing to retain doesn't mean he was desperate to move him and it's a failure if he doesn't. It just moves the next soft deadline to the draft.
I never said failure, but if you are willing to eat 50% of a 1.5 year contract, then your over pricing your asset if your not getting the offers you are looking for.

Saying you will eat 50% does show a small point of desperation though.

Reactions: BlueKnight

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I never said failure, but if you are willing to eat 50% of a 1.5 year contract, then your over pricing your asset if your not getting the offers you are looking for.

I don't think anyone would say that Army hasn't placed a very high price on Buchnevich, but that's more indicitive of Army not being that serious about making a deal and being hopeful that someone would be willing to overpay.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I'd say it signals that he's only willing to move him now for good assets, not a bunch of middling assets that don't really move the needle. If retaining helps to secure said good assets, then that's what he'll do. This isn't a situation where Army will just settle for whatever teams are offering if it isn't good enough.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
From the leafs Id offer 2024 1st, + 2026 1st top ten protected + Robertson + Kampf for cap reasons for Buchnevich 50% retained + 3rd.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
More power to you I guess, but Lekkerimaki instantly becomes probably your best prospect over Snuggerud (Albeit it is very close, really a pick 'em situation) because he's a blue chip prospect. Mikheyev doesn't add value, but you're not going to get a high 1st when dealing Buchnevich, because the only teams interested in him are contenders - Chicago isn't walking through the door to offer their 1st for him lol.

If that's the expectation for Buchnevich, then he's probably not likely to get traded or St. Louis is interested in quantity > quality.
I think you are overrating Lekkerimaki. Dvorsky is the Blues top prospect, then Snuggerud. I like Snuggerud’s play away from the puck and hockey sense/passing quite a bit more than Lekkerimaki. Not trying to trash the guy, Lekk is a great prospect! But I see a guy with a good shot whose primary value is scoring goals on the power play.

For the record, I watched every second of team Sweden games this past WJC. Not saying I’m an expert or anything, but I am at least somewhat familiar with Lekk’s game (not completely talking out of my ass haha).

Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable in saying he'd definitely jump Dvorsky and at the very least be equal to Snuggerud. He was just named SHL player of the month 2 days back, leads his team in both points and goals, is 5th in goals overall in the SHL, and is currently 4th all time in goals for skaters under 20 in the SHL behind Kent Nilsson, Elias Pettersson and Peter Forsberg. What he's doing this season puts him in an elite category. I get why the Blues would want Willander, but I view Lekkerimaki as on the same level, and in a bubble he's a better prospect than Willander without considering positions.
Not sure where you’re getting these stats, but according to quanthockey He’s currently 8th all time in SHL goal scoring in 19 year season and 39th in points per game. Not sure if the info is out there anywhere but I’d love to see what his 5v5 scoring numbers look like.

Again, he’s a good prospect, would love to have him in St. Louis. If it was Lekk + 1st for Buch alone, I’d consider it…but Mikheyev drags the value down and retention would cost as well. The previous offer is missing another 2nd-ish value asset for the Blues handling the cap IMO.

Well shit…if JR is saying he’s staying then he is for sure getting traded now :laugh:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks dont really have the assets anymore to go big game hunting and they refuse to make Lekky and Willander available.

I doubt its good enough but their best offer for Buch is likely:

Podkolzin, Elias Pettersson (D) , 1st round pick 2025 ( top 10 protected), 3rd round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad