Dreger: Buchnevich is likely to be traded

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Now St. Louis has a good idea of what to expect for 1 rental year of Buchnevich if they hold on to him. If that. This was the best offer that was taken for Guentzel.
The Blues don’t care about the Guentzel trade.

We traded three valuable rentals at the deadline last year. Armstrong already knows what he can get for one of those, and Buchnevich likely would have better trade value than all of them.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Now St. Louis has a good idea of what to expect for 1 rental year of Buchnevich if they hold on to him. If that. This was the best offer that was taken for Guentzel.

Sure I guess. But Buch has another season, most teams would need retention for 2 years on a contract. And Pittsburgh was noted to be wanting prospects more than picks. Getting 2 recent 2nd round picks, Lucius and a middle 6er in return along with the conditional picks certainly isn’t as small as a haul as many tend to believe.

Now factor in Armstrong has been pretty notedly steadfast that he doesn’t have to trade Buch right now and the most likely outcome is he isn’t traded. This isn’t a position of trade, extend or let him walk. This is a position of I’m willing to make changes to the roster if it matches my needs. I’d fully expect Buch to be shopped at the draft though if he’s not moved today.

Edit. Just reread what you wrote. Misread it completely. Some still makes sense in objection to it, but some was geared towards the misread

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Armstrong is a way better trader than Dubas is but I'm sure he'll get traded in the summer with a something x 8 if Blues want to move on from him. If Armstrong doesn't then yikes. Would be next level bad from him

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Unfortunately managers are now in this position. To get proper value, a player better have term. Guentzel’s return, should remind Armstrong, the time to strike is right now. His value only decreases from here on out…

2 playoff runs and a season of Buchnevich for under $3 million, is worth quite a bit. You also keep teams like Nashville, Detroit, NJ, NYI, and others, in the mix, rather than only the big-time contenders with limited Grade A assets, next deadline. That’s huge.

It really is the smart move for Armstrong. He won’t get coin-flip prospects like Guentzel did, or he’d get next deadline for Buchnevich. He’d get legit prospects, who’s question will only be, how good they’ll be in the NHL. Not if they’ll be in the league.

They should trade him.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Unfortunately managers are now in this position. To get proper value, a player better have term. Guentzel’s return, should remind Armstrong, the time to strike is right now. His value only decreases from here on out…

2 playoff runs and a season of Buchnevich for under $3 million, is worth quite a bit. You also keep teams like Nashville, Detroit, NJ, NYI, and others, in the mix, rather than only the big-time contenders with limited Grade A assets, next deadline. That’s huge.

It really is the smart move for Armstrong. He won’t get coin-flip prospects like Guentzel did, or he’d get next deadline for Buchnevich. He’d get legit prospects, who’s question will only be, how good they’ll be in the NHL. Not if they’ll be in the league.

They should trade him.
This. His 2-first just became and….

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable in saying he'd definitely jump Dvorsky and at the very least be equal to Snuggerud. He was just named SHL player of the month 2 days back, leads his team in both points and goals, is 5th in goals overall in the SHL, and is currently 4th all time in goals for skaters under 20 in the SHL behind Kent Nilsson, Elias Pettersson and Peter Forsberg. What he's doing this season puts him in an elite category. I get why the Blues would want Willander, but I view Lekkerimaki as on the same level, and in a bubble he's a better prospect than Willander without considering positions.
Also, props on your GM for nailing recent 1st rounders with these Swedes. While I’m hoping we can snag one of them while arranging a fortuitous trade for Buchy, I think you guys are in good hands. I’ll personally (due to a few of my college golf teammates being huge Nucks fans) be rooting for y’all, particularly if we make a decent trade and send y’all Buch. He’s a gamer and I’d love to see him kick it in at a high level in the playoffs.

Just please send us Willander 😁

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Leafs should go after him big time with knies injury really showing how weak the lw side is he would be great addition

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Leafs should go after him big time with knies injury really showing how weak the lw side is he would be great addition
They lack the ammunition to get a deal done, even if Easton Cowen and a 1st were in play.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers need to go bring him home today. Get rid of the beta Kakko and chuck in a first. That’ll get it done.

Everyone says we won’t do it because Drury doesn’t want to relive his worst decision as a GM. Instead, we’ll trade virtually the same price for a clear worse player in Vatrano, who Drury also didn’t re-sign.

If Drury admitted to his mistake and made this trade I would probably forfeit my biggest gripe with him and forgive it. He seems so petty and egotistic. That’ll be his undoing without a doubt because the rest he’s done isn’t that bad. His ego is an impediment to us getting better though.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It’s Ohtmann/Pereault and a 1st. Drury won’t ever do that because of the “self pride”/“egg on his face” for selling low and re-acquiring high. Sadly, Buch plays great in the missing link on that line with Kreider and Mika, and could be an absolute game changer. I don’t know that Drury has the balls to admit he screwed up. All Buch has done is grow into a great player since then.
Othmann+1st for Buch is a done deal for me, but I doubt the rangers feel the same way unfortunately. Add in a pick for retention.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kyle Dubas has traded down on the draft floor quite a bit. He’s the type of GM that sees value in a volume of lottery tickets. I think you saw that in the Guentzel trade.

Doug Armstrong is the opposite. He doesn’t trade down. In fact, he’s traded up a few times (Thompson, Bokk). Expect a quality over quantity ask.

Reactions: Blueston

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Rangers need to go bring him home today. Get rid of the beta Kakko and chuck in a first. That’ll get it done.

Everyone says we won’t do it because Drury doesn’t want to relive his worst decision as a GM. Instead, we’ll trade virtually the same price for a clear worse player in Vatrano, who Drury also didn’t re-sign.

If Drury admitted to his mistake and made this trade I would probably forfeit my biggest gripe with him and forgive it. He seems so petty and egotistic. That’ll be his undoing without a doubt because the rest he’s done isn’t that bad. His ego is an impediment to us getting better though.

Buch does have a 12 team no trade clause. I don't know how true but it's speculated he holds a grudge against NY for trading him. Who knows though?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buch does have a 12 team no trade clause. I don't know how true but it's speculated he holds a grudge against NY for trading him. Who knows though?
It seems pretty clear that he was upset at how he was treated by Drury. Doesn’t seem to be anything more than that. Drury needs to admit his mistake. If done, there should be no issues.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Does a 2025 first, 2024 second, Sam Bolduc and Oliver Wahlstrom get it done at 50%? We'd likely be outbid right?
No, don't think it's much more than what rental would get at the deadline next season. I'd hold and see what happens at the draft, and just take a rental price at the 2025 deadline.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Hope Winnipeg is on the list. Then it's between Carolina and Detroit, who have the capspace (without retentions).

I don't even know is either interested.

But Yzerman usually trades with the Blues.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Guentzel trade is really hard to use as a comparable due to Pitt being so committed to trying to win still. They really seemingly leaned more into getting a roster player for the now and prospects that were more valued as being potentially nhl ready rather than having higher ceilings.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wouldn't shock me if Army holds, he typically keeps high prices on players with term and doesn't budge, so could definitely see the market preferring rentals.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
1st, 2nd, top prospect is a good price for Buch. If St. Louis is holding out for more, they're going to end up like Pitts and get half of what they could have gotten

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad