Dreger: Buchnevich is likely to be traded

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Are Blues that far removed for trying for the playoffs next year? A good offseason and they’d still be in it next year. Why not then keep Buch unless a deal helps accelerate that?
They need a rebuild instead of whatever they’re trying to do. DA is so delusional that he thinks that they are a couple of players away from being competitive.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
They need a rebuild instead of whatever they’re trying to do. DA is so delusional that he thinks that they are a couple of players away from being competitive.
We're NOT doing a rebuild.

We can do like 18 other things that look like a rebuild, sound like a rebuild, are a whole lot like a rebuild, but we are not doing a rebuild.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Armstrong should just trade him to Anaheim for future considerations, give a press conference where he is just so refreshingly honest about admitting he drove a champion team into the hopeless ditch, and keep on truckin
I think his seat starts getting a lot warmer next year. Stillman looked and sounded despondent when Strickland interviewed him on TV shortly after Berube was fired. Even the passive STL media have written & talked about Armstrong's failings re: the defense specifically....ya sure, this isn't a group of Red Fisher's in STL but you can tell when a fanbase starts to turn on the GM when articles start getting cranked out about a Coach/GM's performance. This team is going to blow for a while and everyone knows a significant part of the blame lies at the feet of the GM's decision since 2020.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I think his seat starts getting a lot warmer next year. Stillman looked and sounded despondent when Strickland interviewed him on TV shortly after Berube was fired. Even the passive STL media have written & talked about Armstrong's failings re: the defense specifically....ya sure, this isn't a group of Red Fisher's in STL but you can tell when a fanbase starts to turn on the GM when articles start getting cranked out about a Coach/GM's performance. This team is going to blow for a while and everyone knows a significant part of the blame lies at the feet of the GM's decision since 2020.
I'm happy everyone finally does because there were a couple years of abuse in there for noticing ahead of others and refusing to not speak up

• Love
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What would be the price for Butch if he got traded?
Based on Army's history, I have no doubt that through this process, he's basically demanded a 1st and the top prospect from each team. 1st+Willander from Vancouver as an example. Want retention? Add another big asset. That's why he hasn't been moved because it's a silly price to pay.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Basically worth a second and third now was never worth first + top prospect. Also top prospects hardly ever get traded. I don’t get why people hf board don’t seem to grasp that.

Reactions: Grinner

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Basically worth a second and third now was never worth first + top prospect. Also top prospects hardly ever get traded. I don’t get why people hf board don’t seem to grasp that.
I just listened to Doug Armstrong's press conference and apparently they've got an actuary table that tell them all kinds of stuff. So, you can think that's what he's worth, but that actuary table will really say what he's worth and DA is going to wait until everyone else recognizes that, because I'm betting they worked really hard on that actuary table and there's no way it's going to be wrong.

SO many things are starting to make sense now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chan790 and Grinner

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
One thing’s for certain. They have to figure out if they’re going to resign him or not. At least by the draft. If we get to the deadline next year, his value will plummet. At least compared to what it is now, as we’ve seen with other returns for UFAs.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I agree, there has to be a decision soon [and I think that's probably already been made, maybe by both sides], but "what will the market be at next year's trade deadline?" isn't the thing I'd worry about. Every deadline is different, and with teams getting $4M+ of cap space for next season that will open up a little breathing room for everyone, even if most everyone rushes out and spends it ASAP.

The bigger risk is him underperforming this season - which, while a 32-32-64 pace, still underperforms his pace from the prior 2 seasons - and/or him getting injured. If he's healthy and having some 35-50-85 career year, teams will still pay out. If he's "only" 30-30-60, I think someone will still pay out because his game is different from Guentzel's it's more "he has grit, sandpaper, and can score, we need that in the playoffs." If he's going 20-25-45 and/or gets hurt, teams are going to reel in the offer prices and the Blues will do good to get even what Guentzel got.

That said, I'll be really surprised if he's still with the Blues after July 1.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
1 more year. Still plenty of time to make a trade and get a lot of value back. This gives teams and Blues more time to see what Buch is likely asking for his next contract, which can always make or break a deal.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Ya players never get traded for 1st rounders...except like all the time.
I literally said top prospects. First round picks and blue chip prospects are different. Blue chip prospects give you a lot more certainty and come with a shorter time line to being impact players. That is why teams don’t want to trade them and would much rather trade first round picks.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm mocking our GM, who is adamant about not doing a rebuild. That's why he's mentioned a retool, a re-something else and now we're in a refocus. None of that is a rebuild.

Bergevin told us Habs fan the same thing just before we went to the finals! Trust the process!

/s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad