Boston Bruins B's D: Quantity & Quality

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I don't even mind carrying 8 D. Sure there is the cap issue, but if there is a legit top 6 RW out there, move out McQuaid or Miller. Otherwise you have 8 NHL D. No giving up a 3rd round pick for Nick Holden at the deadline. D Injuries happen all the time. Would rather have a proven NHL D ready to step in instead of hoping for the best.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
John Moore is effectively our depth D at the deadline for the next 5 years for s very reasonable price. He is an upgrade on Holden.
And because he’s a human being he could improve on what he already is

Mark Divver tweeted that Kevin Dean a former Devils, AHL assistant and head coach, and hockey USA guy like Moore is bullish on Moore.

Skeptical Dean knows more then us but I’ll give it an exhibition game before I declare him a bust Sweeney an idiot and start a thread about our pro scouts should be exiled to Australia.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Krug got abused in his own end in the playoffs. Moore is a nice option they did the right thing trying to get someone better defensively than Krug while keeping Krug. No clue when its going to happen but the minute Krug leaves we are really going to miss his offensive contributions. If you want to have any chance at home ice vs the 2 juggernauts that are Tampa and Toronto you're going to want a top 5/10 offensive D man in the lineup over the course of 82 games.

If finding playing time for 8 guys is our defense's biggest problem I am OK with that. Also we have no bad contracts on our blue line most teams can't say that.

I am not sure if John Moore, on his own, is a defensive upgrade over Krug. Nor do I think Moore was brought in to replace Krug on the 2nd pairing. Defense has never been his M.O. While he is a great skater and puck-mover, he has never been very good in his own zone. Some folks think he improved his net front game last year, but if you ask most NJD fans, he is a bit of a mess when he is under pressure.

I have a feeling Sweeney and Co. kept a close eye on Colin Miller in the SCF and think Moore could be a similar player for BOS this year.

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I am not sure if John Moore, on his own, is a defensive upgrade over Krug. Nor do I think Moore was brought in to replace Krug on the 2nd pairing. Defense has never been his M.O. While he is a great skater and puck-mover, he has never been very good in his own zone. Some folks think he improved his net front game last year, but if you ask most NJD fans, he is a bit of a mess when he is under pressure.

I have a feeling Sweeney and Co. kept a close eye on Colin Miller in the SCF and think Moore could be a similar player for BOS this year.
Good points. I am behind the signing of Moore by DS simply because it gives the Bs some options/possible depth, and it is not a horrible contract. Any talk of Moore being a replacement of Krug is by people who have not seen Moore play. He is a serviceable player and that's where it ends at this point. He makes Irwin (when he was a B) level decisions that are maddening. Will he be better with the Bs? Maybe. He's going to be 28 this November, and the Bs will be his 5th team. Kind of makes me think he is what he is at this point, but you never know. But any talk of him being able to fill Krug's shoes if he is traded is nonsense. If that is the Bs plan then God help them and please grant them sanity. Sounds like I am down on Moore and hate him. I don't. I just wish people would recognize him for what he is and pump the brakes a little bit on their expectations. He's a D-man in his prime who just signed for $2.75 mil per, and NJ fans are not rioting over NJ not bringing him back at that number. Should tell folks here something.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Just throwing this out there but at his presser when asked about Moore Sweeney said he’s primarily been a left side guy but has played the right side some.
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz- Moore
McQuaid or Miller as the 7th. Maybe the other one traded. Those pairings are changeable. Again this is me reading into Sweeney’s answer to a question and throwing stuff at the wall.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I wouldn't mind having 8 NHL d men if we had a 2nd line winger I was comfortable with. If we already had Panarin I wouldn't be interested in shipping Krug out "because we have too many NHL D men."

The simple truth (for me, at least) is we have McAvoy/Grizz who are capable of playing PP minutes, and now Moore who is a puck mover as well. Krug is the BEST offensive D man we have, but if we had the opportunity to move him for that coveted 2nd line winger I'd do it. Depending on the deal, of course.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Just throwing this out there but at his presser when asked about Moore Sweeney said he’s primarily been a left side guy but has played the right side some.
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz- Moore
McQuaid or Miller as the 7th. Maybe the other one traded. Those pairings are changeable. Again this is me reading into Sweeney’s answer to a question and throwing stuff at the wall.

I just don't see K Miller not being in the lineup. I also don't see Moore not being in the lineup after signing him to a 5 year deal at decent money.

We shall see I guess.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Kind of weird that we have eight NHL defensemen, none of whom are prospects beginning to transition to the NHL on a two-way deal, only one with a single year left on his deal, and the argument for having that kind of depth is that too many of them are unreliable.

That's some weird praise of Sweeney.

"See, he needs more guys locked up cause the other guys he has locked up can't be counted on to stay healthy." Okay, I guess that's true, but not sure it paints the best picture for roster construction.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Kind of weird that we have eight NHL defensemen, none of whom are prospects beginning to transition to the NHL on a two-way deal, only one with a single year left on his deal, and the argument for having that kind of depth is that too many of them are unreliable.

"See, he needs more guys locked up cause the other guys he has locked up can't be counted on to stay healthy." Okay, I guess that's true, but not sure it paints the best picture for roster construction.
This is the most rational post I've seen here in a long time.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I'm not sure I follow. Technically McAvoy and Carlo are on two way ELC deals. I think having defensive depth is smart, as Chara and McQuaid are on last year, Krug, Killer and Gryz will need to be re-upped in two years too.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm not sure I follow. Technically McAvoy and Carlo are on two way ELC deals. I think having defensive depth is smart, as Chara and McQuaid are on last year, Krug, Killer and Gryz will need to be re-upped in two years too.

Regarding Carlo and McAvoy, they are already NHL regulars and don't fit my criteria for an ideal 7th or 8th defensemen: "none of whom are prospects beginning to transition to the NHL on a two-way deal."

I forgot Chara is on a one year deal, my bad. Larger point still stands, saying "they need depth cause their guys aren't reliable" is a weird defense.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Regarding Carlo and McAvoy, they are already NHL regulars and don't fit my criteria for an ideal 7th or 8th defensemen: "none of whom are prospects beginning to transition to the NHL on a two-way deal."

I forgot Chara is on a one year deal, my bad. Larger point still stands, saying "they need depth cause their guys aren't reliable" is a weird defense.

Ah ok, I understand now, thank you.. I'm wondering if there is a deal to be made, or if it's really depth, or that their Providence guys just aren't even close.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Who is saying this?

I think the best argument for keeping 8 D is not that the group is “unreliable”, but that without fail, every year, NHL teams use 8 D because of injuries. If you know injuries are inevitable, why not prepare in advance, rather than pay ridiculous assets at the TDL for rentals?

Teams can carry 23, so if the B’s have space, they can carry 13 F’s, 8 D, and 2 G’s without any issue.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Who is saying this?

I think the best argument for keeping 8 D is not that the group is “unreliable”, but that without fail, every year, NHL teams use 8 D because of injuries. If you know injuries are inevitable, why not prepare in advance, rather than pay ridiculous assets at the TDL for rentals?

Teams can carry 23, so if the B’s have space, they can carry 13 F’s, 8 D, and 2 G’s without any issue.

I also took it as a hedge against the inevitability of injuries and saving the also inevitable need to make a trade at the deadline where you pay a premium.

Not every prospect jumps from the minors, college or foreign leagues straight into the NHL, those that do are the exception not the rule.

But what do I know? :dunno:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I guess if you accept the idea that the reason the B’s are keeping 8 D is because they are all “unreliable” and not because the NHL season is a grind and 8 D will see the ice regardless.

I’m not in that group.
It’s likely they will move one but only after camp when they can assess what’s what.

If Chara has them worried then probably not

If there is an injury then probably not

If Zboril looks ready then probably a trade

Right now they have inventory and options and that’s good, no?

The Bruins must be really good if this is the summer concern

Nothing will supplant the Chris Bourque third line Summer but this is second on the we don’t have a lot to worry about

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It’s likely they will move one but only after camp when they can assess what’s what.

If Chara has them worried then probably not

If there is an injury then probably not

If Zboril looks ready then probably a trade

Right now they have inventory and options and that’s good, no?

The Bruins must be really good if this is the summer concern

Nothing will supplant the Chris Bourque third line Summer but this is second on the we don’t have a lot to worry about

I agree.

I believe they will use Camp to audition the Top 6 wing spot and if nobody steps up or catches their eye, they will make a move for someone.

Listened to half the 3 Amigos podcast and was really surprised at how much all three guys like Nordstrom. Good hockey minds there so I hope they are right.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
My take on the Bruins D;

Chara: 3-4 at best and dropping his foot speed is being exposed on a regular basis.

McAvoy: a 3 at present but with the upside to be a one or two just needs to Mature as a NHL player

Carlo; a 4 at present ,but with some improvements he may become a 2-3 become a bit more physical,and gain a bit more confidence in his offensive game.

Moore; I do not feel I can give an accurate assessment, but from what I read a 5 at best

Miller: I am not the fan of him others on this board are , he has limited skills and when tries to do more than what his skill allow it shows 6-7

Krug: great offensive ability ,his speed is not great and his size hurts him in his own end a good #5 Dman

Grzelcyk: was very pleased with the way he played last year,but do not see him ever being more tha a 6-7

McQuaid; a solid physical stay at home Dman, that i feel is sometimes under rated on here , but that is all he is a good #6.

Having said all of this I would call the Bruins more quantity than quality.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I maintain your D is split into 2 sections top 4 Quality and 5+ depth/quality

Because I’m in a SIM league for shits and laughter I take the top 30 Defenseman each draft and watch them.

I could argue all night the Bruins 5 -8+ is top 3 in the game and because I am a fan of Grzelcyk, Miller, and McQuaid I easily rate them 1.

It’s a smart concept and one I would definitely do.

That leaves the top 4 which is really what 80% of real hardcore fans know.

The Bruins top 4 statistically and subjectively are easily top third in the league and I can only lisr maybe 4 top fours I’d take over them.

Reactions: hrdpuk

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
My take on the Bruins D;

Chara: 3-4 at best and dropping his foot speed is being exposed on a regular basis.

McAvoy: a 3 at present but with the upside to be a one or two just needs to Mature as a NHL player

Carlo; a 4 at present ,but with some improvements he may become a 2-3 become a bit more physical,and gain a bit more confidence in his offensive game.

Moore; I do not feel I can give an accurate assessment, but from what I read a 5 at best

Miller: I am not the fan of him others on this board are , he has limited skills and when tries to do more than what his skill allow it shows 6-7

Krug: great offensive ability ,his speed is not great and his size hurts him in his own end a good #5 Dman

Grzelcyk: was very pleased with the way he played last year,but do not see him ever being more tha a 6-7

McQuaid; a solid physical stay at home Dman, that i feel is sometimes under rated on here , but that is all he is a good #6.

Having said all of this I would call the Bruins more quantity than quality.

Bruins one of the top defensive teams in the league last year and didn’t even have a 1-2. Solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad