Boston Bruins B's D: Quantity & Quality

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Too lazy to itemize every B's D.

Many say Boston's blueline is "overflowing" and well stocked.

Question: I like our guys, but to me, this is quantity, not quality. At present I assess D as good, hardly elite.

What's the consensus, and if Torey is moved for offensive help, what's the consensus on D strength/depth after *that*?

Barring PRO help, I see "mediocre, at best" on the blue line.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX

Question: I like our guys, but to me, this is quantity, not quality. At present I assess D as good, hardly elite.

What's the consensus, and if Torey is moved for offensive help, what's the consensus on D strength/depth after *that*?

I agree. It appears that the Bruins top two pairing D prospects have made it to the NHL. The one guy left that I think/hope can surprise this year is Zboril. The rest appear to be 2-3 years away minimum.

BTW, what happened to Lauzon and his game?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I don’t think it is mediocre but it isn’t elite . Hopefully Carlo can be more consistent this year and I think Gryzelick might be able to hang in the top 4 if the Bruins trade Krug . I don’t really know what to expect from Moore but I prefer K Miller on the 3rd pair . Not elite but a lot better than the Leafs defence in my opinion.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I would say the bruins defense is probably ranked 12-16th roughly. Also helps that they have a perennial seller candidate and tuukka who has the 2nd highest career SV% of all time.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
It’s a middle of the road defense with a lot of bottom 4 depth at both the nhl and prospect level. That basically ensures they’ll stay no worse than a middle of the road defense. The acquisition of a 2nd top pair defensemen to go with mcavoy whether nhl player or prospect would really vault Boston into top 6 or 7 across the league

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

To lazy sums it up

One I read that I stopped reading

Try and elevate your game this isn’t the Tropical Island

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It’s a middle of the road defense with a lot of bottom 4 depth at both the nhl and prospect level. That basically ensures they’ll stay no worse than a middle of the road defense. The acquisition of a 2nd top pair defensemen to go with mcavoy whether nhl player or prospect would really vault Boston into top 6 or 7 across the league

Chara and McAvoy one of the top pairs in the league.

Krug-Carlo top ten second pair

Gryz/Moore-Killer top 5 third pair

Gryz/Moore-McQuaid top 1-5 reserve pair easily in league.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would say the bruins defense is probably ranked 12-16th roughly. Also helps that they have a perennial seller candidate and tuukka who has the 2nd highest career SV% of all time.

I might put them a bit higher than 12 in the league right now, maybe in the 8-12 range.

I do think if they trade Krug, then it would drop down to below 16. He adds an elite skill which is NOT replaceable with the people they have in place, and in fact they will be trading picks and prospects by February looking for a replacement

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I won’t put words in people’s mouth but I think there’s a problem with people associating the defense with the end of the year results. Playoff results. I didn’t hear any moans during their great stretch of winning games. Losing Carlo made everyone have to move up so to speak a level. Some played good and some played too much. It will be better now to start with a full crew.

Reactions: Chief Nine and BMC

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
The defense as it stands is good - I do worry that, should Krug get traded and Chara calls it after this year, or even during this year he really starts to decline, god forbid, what will happen. Losing Krug puts the onus on guys like Charlie and Gryz to pick up offensively on the powerplay. Are they ready for that? I'd like to think so, but who knows for certain.

Losing Chara will hurt worse sooner or later. Replacing Krug's powerplay ability CAN be done, via everybody chipping in, etc. Replacing Chara's shut-down game will not be nearly so easily replicated.

I just hope Sweeney considers all of this and finds a good replacement for Zdeno if possible. Or the Vaakinator is readier sooner hopefully rather than later

Reactions: don

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Was watching the B’s Summer Show last night after the Sox with Jaffe and Brick and they had some interesting D pairs proposed:

Z-Carlo
Moore-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
Grizz-McQ

At first, I was like...hmmmm, but their explanation was fairly well thought out.

For Jaffe, Carlo is the key guy. He talked specifically about how he played the 3 weeks down the stretch when the B’s had all those injuries on D and he had to step up. He was more active, jumping into the play, being more assertive in his own end. Jaffe said he looked like a different guy and I agree. He said Carlo still hasn’t hit that 200 NHL game Mark and he has the ability to be more than what we have seen thus far.

Brick talked about how good a skater Carlo is and made a Glen Wesley comparison (not sure I see that). He said Wes made a lot of mistakes when he first came up, but because of the skating ability they stuck with him and he goes on to have a 14/15 year NHL career.

I was talking to Lou the other day and the guy he reminds me of is Ekholm. Good size, good skater, not super physical. Ekholm’s first couple of years, no offense. After he settles in (3rd year) they get years of 35, 23, 34 out of him, starting at age 25.

So, if the B’s think he can be that guy, you don’t put him with Krug, because he will never grow into that role. You put him with Chara and tell him he’s the guy that needs to be the primary skater and puck mover.

That slides McAvoy down to the 2nd pair with Moore, and gives you two thick guys that can skate. Maybe the idea is that it allows McAvoy to become more dominant against 2nd line matchups? He still plays big minutes because of special teams. The other thing it allows Boston to do is put Krug on the 3rd pair, where I think he would dominate at ES, much like Grizz did last year.

Very interesting stuff. I assume that Jaffe and Brick are a little plugged in. It would appear that the B’s (and the two of them) have higher hopes for Carlo then some on this board.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I agree. It appears that the Bruins top two pairing D prospects have made it to the NHL. The one guy left that I think/hope can surprise this year is Zboril. The rest appear to be 2-3 years away minimum.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Maybe it's the way I'm reading it, but I feel you're saying that the two Bruins prospects that had top 4 potential (McAvoy, Carlo) are in the NHL, and Zboril is the only one left that has a chance. What does the rest being 2-3 years away have to do with anything? They still can still be top two pairing defensive prospects, despite being not ready immediately.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is an above average D core, elite? Nope, but when I watch a broadcast that isn`t NESN it`s one of the first things brought up consistently by the PBP crew, how composed and disciplined the B`s D is and if you fall behind, your all but done.

They may not be a crew that will all make All-Star appearances but you don`t have to be to make the final or win the Cup, have a look at the Pens D during their back to back wins and look no further than our B`s when they won the cup, yes Z was still an elite defender but would anyone put Boychuk/Seids/Ference etc.. in an elite category? They were a 6 man unit who worked exceptionally well together at executing a game plan

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

BTW, what happened to Lauzon and his game?

Nobody has a crystal ball, so pretty hard to say the B’s two top pair guys are in the NHL and that’s it.

I’m also pretty sure that I heard that same thing heading into last year about Pasta and the F prospects? And then the B’s get 40+ point rookie performances out of DeBrusk and Heinen, and solid contributions from Kuraly.

Lauzon was the D version of Cehlarik last year. Shows some flashes, but in and out of the lineup due to injuries (concussion and some other stuff). He’s got size and he can skate. I’m hoping he steps up this year and stays injury free.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Chara is the biggest X factor. If he goes full Chelios, which happens, that left side screams Chinese fire drill in their own end.

The sophomore slump is a worry too among the forwards. If they struggle offensively and start cheating, that leads to chances the other way.

All in all though I’d still put them in the 12 overall range.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I went thru 2/3 of the teams so far and 5-8 or 5-10 the Bruins are #1.

I was looking to put them 2 or 3 and maybe I will find someone

1-4

Chara
McAvoy
Krug
Carlo

Pretty damn high so far likely top 10 on the 1-4 guys based on extensive live watching

Not sure what some people are smoking but I would stop

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chara and McAvoy one of the top pairs in the league.

Krug-Carlo top ten second pair

Gryz/Moore-Killer top 5 third pair

Gryz/Moore-McQuaid top 1-5 reserve pair easily in league.
I’m giving Bruins for to appease the haters 5 overall from 5-8 when they are probably 1.

So with that out of the way it’s a 1-4 game

Who’s better? I got a questionable 6

So - 6 could be better 1-4 and maybe a couple are better 5-8

So how are they middle ?

Is this why so many had them for 9-12 in East last summer

The Clark Booth Disciples

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Was watching the B’s Summer Show last night after the Sox with Jaffe and Brick and they had some interesting D pairs proposed:

Z-Carlo
Moore-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
Grizz-McQ

At first, I was like...hmmmm, but their explanation was fairly well thought out.

For Jaffe, Carlo is the key guy. He talked specifically about how he played the 3 weeks down the stretch when the B’s had all those injuries on D and he had to step up. He was more active, jumping into the play, being more assertive in his own end. Jaffe said he looked like a different guy and I agree. He said Carlo still hasn’t hit that 200 NHL game Mark and he has the ability to be more than what we have seen thus far.

Brick talked about how good a skater Carlo is and made a Glen Wesley comparison (not sure I see that). He said Wes made a lot of mistakes when he first came up, but because of the skating ability they stuck with him and he goes on to have a 14/15 year NHL career.

I was talking to Lou the other day and the guy he reminds me of is Ekholm. Good size, good skater, not super physical. Ekholm’s first couple of years, no offense. After he settles in (3rd year) they get years of 35, 23, 34 out of him, starting at age 25.

So, if the B’s think he can be that guy, you don’t put him with Krug, because he will never grow into that role. You put him with Chara and tell him he’s the guy that needs to be the primary skater and puck mover.

That slides McAvoy down to the 2nd pair with Moore, and gives you two thick guys that can skate. Maybe the idea is that it allows McAvoy to become more dominant against 2nd line matchups? He still plays big minutes because of special teams. The other thing it allows Boston to do is put Krug on the 3rd pair, where I think he would dominate at ES, much like Grizz did last year.

Very interesting stuff. I assume that Jaffe and Brick are a little plugged in. It would appear that the B’s (and the two of them) have higher hopes for Carlo then some on this board.
If Moore is good enough to play with Charlie it would go a long way towards improving the backend . I actually prefer Chara playing with Carlo , it will be an interesting training camp .

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Just read this

Unbelievable

Your to lazy to do any research but not to toss a negative bomb

Why don’t you stay on your exclusive HF best and most informed exclusive site then start with ‘I’m to f***ing lazy but what the hell I start a negative thead’

Don’t you learn anything over there or is it one big pissing and moaning gathering

Thank Black Eye for me for kicking me out I mean it if this is what you get

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
We have a top 10 defense all healthy, but not elite, nowhere close to elite. You lose Krug for top 6 help and you’re a hell of a lot closer to bottom 15 then you are to top 5

I’m of the mind that krug should only be moved for a younger project left D that has potential like Nurse

member 96824

Just read this

Unbelievable

Your to lazy to do any research but not to toss a negative bomb

Why don’t you stay on your exclusive HF best and most informed exclusive site then start with ‘I’m to ****ing lazy but what the hell I start a negative thead’

Don’t you learn anything over there or is it one big pissing and moaning gathering

Thank Black Eye for me for kicking me out I mean it if this is what you get

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: LouJersey

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't get why they signed Moore, Grzelcyk looked great on the third pair last season with Miller. I guess depth helps but I'd rather playing time go to the younger guy.

Unless they're planning on moving Krug, which would be a questionable decision depending upon the return.

Boston still has a pretty solid defense though, especially with Selke level play from Bergeron and good goaltending. The big question this season is the middle 6 forwards and what they will do there. They need DeBrusk/Heinen to keep up that level of play and also will need contributions from Donato/Bjork.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't get why they signed Moore, Grzelcyk looked great on the third pair last season with Miller. I guess depth helps but I'd rather playing time go to the younger guy.

Unless they're planning on moving Krug, which would be a questionable decision depending upon the return.

Boston still has a pretty solid defense though, especially with Selke level play from Bergeron and good goaltending. The big question this season is the middle 6 forwards and what they will do there. They need DeBrusk/Heinen to keep up that level of play and also will need contributions from Donato/Bjork.

Krug got abused in his own end in the playoffs. Moore is a nice option they did the right thing trying to get someone better defensively than Krug while keeping Krug. No clue when its going to happen but the minute Krug leaves we are really going to miss his offensive contributions. If you want to have any chance at home ice vs the 2 juggernauts that are Tampa and Toronto you're going to want a top 5/10 offensive D man in the lineup over the course of 82 games.

If finding playing time for 8 guys is our defense's biggest problem I am OK with that. Also we have no bad contracts on our blue line most teams can't say that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad