GDT: B's @ Caps, 3/5/2013 @ 7:00 PM at the Phone Booth

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone complaining about the play of our <offensive> RD.

Always forgive dzone breakdowns when they directly contribute to goals.

It is near impossible for a young dman to have the perfect balance between offense and defense, one usually comes at the expense of the other.

I am not sure we win last night without Kundratek 1+1 +2 and Oleksy 1A +2

Look for an extension for Volpatti ;)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
puck moving defensemen are always going to make more mistakes because they have more defensive zone responsibilities. they are responsible for starting the attack where as their d first partner is only responsible for the basics.

why people dont see that and complain about everyone except lidstrom, because he hasnt had a turnover since last season, is unknown to me. the more you have the puck and the more you are required to do with it, the more mistakes will happen.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
At game last night.

Pissed Caps were one goal short of a wings night. :laugh:

Negatives
- Too many Bruins fans in the 400s
- Holtby's play in the first period
- Poti's play the entire game
- Wolski's play for 59:55 of the game
- Not Kundratek's best game

Positives
- Bruins fans in the 400s seats the last 5 minutes of the game and then the OT
- Holtby's play in the second and third period
- Olesky actually looked okay (great story that his family drove 11 hours from Michigan to see him play in person)
- Ovechkin dive bombing Rask
- Eric Fehr (sign the man)

The interference call on Ovechkin in the 1st period remains a mystery. When they showed the replay on the jumbo tron, the phone booth was none too pleased. As someone had previously posted on another GDT, it was really 2 minutes for being Russian.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
At game last night.

Pissed Caps were one goal short of a wings night. :laugh:

Negatives
- Too many Bruins fans in the 400s
- Holtby's play in the first period
- Poti's play the entire game
- Wolski's play for 59:55 of the game
- Not Kundratek's best game

Positives
- Bruins fans in the 400s seats the last 5 minutes of the game and then the OT
- Holtby's play in the second and third period
- Olesky actually looked okay (great story that his family drove 11 hours from Michigan to see him play in person)
- Ovechkin dive bombing Rask
- Eric Fehr (sign the man)

I too had serious issue with Wolski's game. I've never seen such little compete in a guy in the corners for pucks. He seems to want to avoid any contact at all.

But you have to give him credit for quick hands and delivering that goal. And I liked his reaction after showing some emotion.

I'd still rather not see him in the lineup.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
'Wow what a comeback. I thought this was done after the first period. Ovy löoked great with those rushes though he couldn't capitalize. Bäcks was invisible outside of that OT pass.

Hail Fehr.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
'Wow what a comeback. I thought this was done after the first period. Ovy löoked great with those rushes though he couldn't capitalize. Bäcks was invisible outside of that OT pass.

Hail Fehr.

Did we watch the same game?

Backstrom had 3 assists and several sweet passes including one to a trailing Ovechkin that had goal written all over it. He did good in the face off circle and won a ton of board battles.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nick is not always easy to notice... he is quietly putting together a good year after a slow start. He may well have been healing up his neck to start the year.

One often doesn't notice a good two way center until they get a hand in on a goal. I love that he told Fehr to try to split the D. Fehr can be a beast but needs to be led like that more often, to make it happen.

I saw a lot of the Bruce game last night. Ovi was up way ahead of the play, Our Dmen very active in the offensive zone, even the LD and noob. Shoddy D. :)

How about Ovi bull in a china shop crashing the net. He needs to work on his finishing. Raise his head, or, keep it lowered and just carry the puck into the goal a la Dale Hunter. Or a rugby player. But its easy to see at RW he can drive the net more often. Sure he is not finishing, but he is there

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Congrats on the great come back last night.
Caps took it to the Bruins fair and square.

Hopefully this pushes Chiarelli to address some of the team's weak links.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Was thinking as Nick started up the ice on the GWG in OT that in the last couple of games he's been looking more and more like the puck possession play-maker we all remember. Fehr's play on that goal was amazing, but Nick made a sweet little pass into a very tight spot.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud
Ovechkin on Milbury: "I can also voice my opinions about his work as a GM"

Oh ****.

Right back at ya.

Did we watch the same game?

Backstrom had 3 assists and several sweet passes including one to a trailing Ovechkin that had goal written all over it. He did good in the face off circle and won a ton of board battles.

Whoops, my bad sry. Missed those second assists. Anyway, Bäcks isn't there where he should be imo, not in the play the same way he can.

Vladiator16*

In retrospect, last nights game could galvanize this team, but it could also make GMGM look like a genius, again... I don't want to demising this victory, our boys played their ***** off, especially in the 2nd and 3rd, but how many times do you think top teams will piss away 3 goal leads? Not many, i think... Also, aside from that stupid call on OV, as Ref9 said "2 min for being Russian" i'm really surprised he wasn't called for running Tuukka, even though non of those were penalties we all know he gets called for every little thing, plus Bruins are not known for letting this happen unpunished...
What i saw last night is anomaly, this team gutted it out and got rewarded, which is good, but to make noise we truly need another finisher, top 6 winger. Obviously, in the perfect wold another stable D-man would be ideal, but top 6 forward is a priority, just my 2 cents.

Also, just checked out B's GDT... Holly ****... judging by comments there you wouldn't know their team sitting on top of the conference with 3 or 4 games in hand. ...and i thought our fans are bipolar...

Last edited by a moderator:

Halpysback*

Nothing your team does can make you look like a genius when Matt Hendricks and Jason Chimera are splitting time as your top line LW.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My thoughts:

1. Shocked Ovechkin didn't break a rib when he collided with the cage and it ended up in the corner. His body bent around the post. That had to hurt. The call on Chara could have gone either way. Loved seeing him hit the net hard, and Rask couldn't have been pleased with Boychuk's shove on the 3rd goalie run.

2. Season defining win, perhaps? Quietly, this team is 7-3 in their last 10. Next 5: vs FLA, @ NYI, vs NYR, vs CAR, @ CAR. If we can get 7 points in those 5 games the end of the season will be interesting.

3. Sign Fehr. When he's healthy and getting top-6 minutes he's a stud.

4. I'd like to see the lines next game look like this:
26-19-8
16-9-20
17-85-42
25-83-24

And the defensive pairings look like this:
27-36
4-74
A random fan, or anyone not # 3 or 55-61

5. Best part of the game? Ovechkin backchecking and sliding to block shots.

Really fun final 41 minutes.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
In retrospect, last nights game could galvanize this team, but it could also make GMGM look like a genius, again... I don't want to demising this victory, our boys played their ***** off, especially in the 2nd and 3rd, but how many times do you think top teams will piss away 3 goal leads? Not many, i think... Also, aside from that stupid call on OV, as Ref9 said "2 min for being Russian" i'm really surprised he wasn't called for running Tuukka, even though non of those were penalties we all know he gets called for every little thing, plus Bruins are not known for letting this happen unpunished...
What i saw last night is anomaly, this team gutted it out and got rewarded, which is good, but to make noise we truly need another finisher, top 6 winger. Obviously, in the perfect wold another stable D-man would be ideal, but top 6 forward is a priority, just my 2 cents.

Also, just checked out B's GDT... Holly ****... judging by comments there you wouldn't know their team sitting on top of the conference with 3 or 4 games in hand. ...and i thought our fans are bipolar...

We do need a top 6 forward. The call on Ovechkin was turble.

We have the whammy over the Bruins. We didn't lose to them in regulation last year and ofcourse won the playoff series.

Top 6 forward can be Laich if he gets healthy. I wouldn't take Brouwer, Fehr or Ovechkin off the top 6 clearly so that leaves 1 spot IMO. Backstrom/Ribiero is the best 1/2 punch down the middle we've had in over 20 years (I guess Pivonka/Ridley/Hunter).

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland

We have the whammy over the Bruins. We didn't lose to them in regulation last year and ofcourse won the playoff series.

Top 6 forward can be Laich if he gets healthy. I wouldn't take Brouwer, Fehr or Ovechkin off the top 6 clearly so that leaves 1 spot IMO. Backstrom/Ribiero is the best 1/2 punch down the middle we've had in over 20 years (I guess Pivonka/Ridley/Hunter).

I dont understand why people think laich is going to inject instant offense when he gets back into the lineup. Hes a glorified grinder with little skill. Hes not the top 6 winger we are looking for.

Vladiator16*

Im worried about Laichs injury, for all we know its Poti situation all over again...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I dont understand why people think laich is going to inject instant offense when he gets back into the lineup. Hes a glorified grinder with little skill. Hes not the top 6 winger we are looking for.

He's got a heck of a lot more skill than Hendricks or Chimera. If he's put on the left wing of the Ribeiro-Ovechkin line, the top-6 will be significantly better.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I think Laich will definitely help. He can replace Hendricks on the top line and fill in playing with Ribs and Ovi.

Yeah he has a big contract and a big mouth, but the guy is a gamer and a valuable player when in the lineup. With how well Brouwer has been playing on the 2nd line, i think Laich will be a key piece coming back into the lineup.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Laich has proven in the past he definitely has enough skill to play a complementary role on a scoring line and do it well. Right now this team has nobody who slots in nicely on the left with Ribeiro and Ovechkin.

I'm not suggesting getting him back and slotting him there is going to be like when Sather traded for Kent 'the Magic Man' Nilsson to play with Messier and Anderson in '87 but I have absolutely no doubt that once he gets his legs under him again he is going to be a large step up from the likes of Hendricks and this years version of Chimera.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Laich has proven in the past he definitely has enough skill to play a complementary role on a scoring line and do it well. Right now this team has nobody who slots in nicely on the left with Ribeiro and Ovechkin.

I'm not suggesting getting him back and slotting him there is going to be like when Sather traded for Kent 'the Magic Man' Nilsson to play with Messier and Anderson in '87 but I have absolutely no doubt that once he gets his legs under him again he is going to be a large step up from the likes of Hendricks and this years version of Chimera.

Damn, i really thought chimeara would work well with ovie with his great speed but something is wrong. Its been obvious chimeara isnt right.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Damn, i really thought chimeara would work well with ovie with his great speed but something is wrong. Its been obvious chimeara isnt right.

Yeah and that is why I said this year's version of him. He's clearly carrying some kind of injury that is effecting his speed and without that he is a much much less effective player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00