OT: B's Bar: Stirred - not shaken - with a twist of of sanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ok, so my bad mates I didn't mean to get so serious in the OT thread.

Anyone see the Snowpiercer show yet? I wanted to know when it takes place (6yrs after the freezing issue, about 10+ yrs before the movie), seems interesting, apparently more character driven than the movie was, which seems about right for how these things usually go when turning into a show format.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is why I'm not online with any of it. Twitter. FB. All of it.

Well, that and the whole 'technologically illiterate crotchety old bastard' thing.

I've talked to some of my sister's neuroscience colleagues a few times about it and they're pretty much all of the opinion that social media changes not only how we interact with each other, but how our brains work, similarly to how younger generations have different ways of using the part of the brain that does spacial orientation because of prevalence of GPS.

I don't know how accurate it is, because neuroscience is pretty much witchcraft as is, but there you go.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've talked to some of my sister's neuroscience colleagues a few times about it and they're pretty much all of the opinion that social media changes not only how we interact with each other, but how our brains work, similarly to how younger generations have different ways of using the part of the brain that does spacial orientation because of prevalence of GPS.

I don't know how accurate it is, because neuroscience is pretty much witchcraft as is, but there you go.
My gf follows this one lady that studied psych (is a shrink, legit) and her whole field of study is the way Batman affects the mental psyche.

Apparently, that's a legit field of study.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I remember being asked by a kid like 20 years ago 'what did you do before video games and cable TV', and I remember tartly replying 'we played outside'.

It wasn't like there wasn't bullying then. It's just that it was different and perhaps less destructive because there was more actual in person interactions among people?

EDIT: OMG, @ColePens had HFBoards add the KIRK EMOJI . . . :wally

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It wasn't like there wasn't bullying then. It's just that it was different and perhaps less destructive because there was more actual in person interactions among people?

I think we were just trained to hide it better since we couldn't go home, log on, and vent to thousands of people. We had to get creative and/or tough to combat and/or avoid it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My gf follows this one lady that studied psych (is a shrink, legit) and her whole field of study is the way Batman affects the mental psyche.

Apparently, that's a legit field of study.

These things definitely have effects. It's really crazy. My dissertation dealt with how certain models of identity developed and spread in Central Europe because of the prevalence of visual media, not in the written or spoken word. You see something enough, you begin to repeat it-- not really in the way that the anti-video game people were afraid of in the 90s, but it has a definite and measurable impact.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think we were just trained to hide it better since we couldn't go home, log on, and vent to thousands of people. We had to get creative and/or tough to combat and/or avoid it.

Good point.

Plus, one other thing in that 'hide it' vein . . . parents (especially dads) tended to be less empathetic to tears.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ok, so my bad mates I didn't mean to get so serious in the OT thread.

Anyone see the Snowpiercer show yet? I wanted to know when it takes place (6yrs after the freezing issue, about 10+ yrs before the movie), seems interesting, apparently more character driven than the movie was, which seems about right for how these things usually go when turning into a show format.
yeah that really is the advantage of TV over a movie. I forgot they even made a show, but I really liked the movie.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
But look at on here, online let's you say some crazy shit

Shit you wouldn't say in person

Yeah bullying and picking on people happens in real life, and it did for us "back in the day" but it's still a lot easier to be a mega-trolling dick online

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Yeah bullying and picking on people happens in real life, and it did for us "back in the day" but it's still a lot easier to be a mega-trolling dick online

And more impersonal, which also makes it easier.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

I agree, but this post reminded me of one of my favorite tweets ever

Edit: nvm cuz bad words (it’s the Tyler the creator cyber bullying one)

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I generally say the same things I say on here, irl. I can't speak for anyone but myself in regards to this, but I would feel weird speaking or saying something that I wouldn't feel comfortable saying out loud.

If anything, I can be more honest about things with people because I have no attachment to them.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Brace yourselves - The twitdiots on twitter are on their next "cancel..." person - Jimmy Fallon for his black-face of Chris Rock, 20yrs ago.

Which mind you, I don't find offensive as it was Jimmy doing a parody of Chris and not attacking him being black or anything of that kind of hate people are trying to attach to it right now. He was parodying Chis Rock (insanely well mind you) and not doing it in a racist way. Same way as RDJ doing it in Tropic Thunder.

The latter of which, is now trending as well because...Twitidiots.

Remember when Jimmy Kimmel did Karl Malone blackface?
Trudeau also

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Unsure where to put this but I think my 16 yr old is pretty talented art wise (I'm probably biased lol). She did not get her talent from me, I can assure you.

She's asked me about possibly selling her stuff and we've had the conversation about how when you do things for passion and you begin doing them for money you might come to resent it. So she's contemplating my words as I investigate Etsy and other avenues.

Here's what she did recently in colored pencil. Original pic for comparison.

Attachments

• 93771617_10219345485960559_198178123273994240_n.jpg
    93771617_10219345485960559_198178123273994240_n.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1590582510896_6671386587782644156.jpg
    1590582510896_6671386587782644156.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 5

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Unsure where to put this but I think my 16 yr old is pretty talented art wise (I'm probably biased lol). She did not get her talent from me, I can assure you.

She's asked me about possibly selling her stuff and we've had the conversation about how when you do things for passion and you begin doing them for money you might come to resent it. So she's contemplating my words as I investigate Etsy and other avenues.

That's legit talent. Good on her

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Really great work. Keep it up...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can play you just about anything you want on the guitar but the talent to draw or paint always escaped me. So it's always super impressive to me to see that kind of thing.

Your fears are justified, though. Once it's for money... it can feel like a job. Creatives can have a tough time with that as inspiration is often a tricky thing.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

That's really good!

Etsy's probably a good idea, I don't think they charge too many fees plus it has a pretty good arbitration system in there, in case of disputes. That said, something that might be fun with some supervision on your end, might be finding a platform for her to get commissions, just because it's good work experience and it'll broaden her horizons. I say supervised because a) there's a lot of thing about commission or contract work which a teenager could use some help with (work load, deadlines, unreasonable asks from clients, negotiations, etc.) and also because b) there's a lot of sex weirds on the internet who'd probably commission some gross stuff that you or your daughter might not be comfortable with.

The upsides would be: some spending money, experience, and maybe even a portfolio if she wanted to make a go of it professionally or apply to graphic design or fine art programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad