News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
How does everyone feel about Mason having the opportunity to start this upcoming season?

I realize his sample size is small (with us), and personally I was up North at school and didn't see many games, but I followed along and he seemingly played very well with some horrendous defense played in front of him. Not to mention by the time he strung a few starts together, I think we were already out of it but could be wrong.

Kid just turned 25, .944 save % with us. Id make the argument its probably hard to not slit one's wrists playing in Columbus, therefore I'd want to focus on his first few seasons in league + time with us, over the few in between.

Obviously a veteran to back him up//push him would be good (On a ONE year deal, NOT two) But I am not as enamored with Bernier as some I guess. I see he him as similar to Mason; his numbers are slightly better but arguably playing with a better defense.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Firstly, the Flyers don't care that much about actual salary. They care about cap hit. Second, he has been flat out brutal the last two regular seasons. He literally contributed nothing to the team and had the highest cap hit. Yes, he always put up points in the playoffs. He may continue to do so, he may not. I'm not willing to take the chance he may find it again. He's older and slower and flat out doesn't compete on a nightly basis. I also believe he drags down his linemates. For example, I think Brayden Schenn would have been much more consistant and put up better numbers had Briere not been attached to him.

Exactly, Schenn had to carry Briere's defensive responsibilities around like a ball and chain. Bill Meltzer noted that Brayden started in the offensive zone more than most Flyers but ended up in his own end. Was that because Lavy was shielding Briere, not Schenn? Because Briere can neither forecheck nor backcheck?

Hit Eject on his cap hit the second the Buyout window opens. When he's clear, Bryz can follow....

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
How does everyone feel about Mason having the opportunity to start this upcoming season?

I realize his sample size is small (with us), and personally I was up North at school and didn't see many games, but I followed along and he seemingly played very well with some horrendous defense played in front of him. Not to mention by the time he strung a few starts together, I think we were already out of it but could be wrong.

Kid just turned 25, .944 save % with us. Id make the argument its probably hard to not slit one's wrists playing in Columbus, therefore I'd want to focus on his first few seasons in league + time with us, over the few in between.

Obviously a veteran to back him up//push him would be good (On a ONE year deal, NOT two) But I am not as enamored with Bernier as some I guess. I see he him as similar to Mason; his numbers are slightly better but arguably playing with a better defense.

I am prepared to give him a chance to earn the starting job, but not hand it to him. I'd rather trade for a goalie like Halak or sign Backstrom or Emery, just examples, and have two guys who can start if need be. Bernier would be a possibility in the right trade too. Frankly, I'd consider signing Luongo short term if Vancouver has to buy him out...

haleks

Aug 1, 2009
I don't get why people are saying it will cost the Snider/Flyers
23 millions for the next 14 years.

If I recall correctly when the new CBA was signed, the compliance buyouts were going to be paid with the Player's HRR money, or counted against their HRR. So if I understand this correctly, it means the 23 millions for the next 14 years will be paid by his fellow players and not the Flyers organisation?

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North

I would expect him to be worse than our small sample size but better than his last few years in Columbus. I'm 100% fine with him starting next year as long as our other goalie is the best backup/1b we have had in the last 25 years.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The league source also indicated that the decision to buy out Bryzgalov's deal isn't fully related to money, as "he's disliked by many" of his teammates.

"They don't want to play for him or with him," the league source said.

I am sorry, but if any player in the locker room this year dogged it simply because they didnt like Bryz...they should be the ones being shipped out. I mean come on, you are professionals. I dont care what profession you go in, you are going to work with people you don't like...you suck it up and do your job. You are getting paid a lot of money to perform at a certain level...thinking your goalie is weird is not an excuse to half ass it.

Bryz is the logical choice to be bought out because of his contract. I still think next year would be smarter, but I am fine with it now assuming they bring in a decent goalie and spend his money wisely.

Cant wait to hear his parting words...should be good. At least the media circus will be over with...until they find their next victim to run out of town...

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
I would expect him to be worse than our small sample size but better than his last few years in Columbus. I'm 100% fine with him starting next year as long as our other goalie is the best backup/1b we have had in the last 25 years.

I agree it would be foolish to expect a .944 clip for a whole season, but i see no reason why he couldnt play in the .915-.920 range compared to the .890-.900 he put up for 2 seasons

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I don't get why people are saying it will cost the Snider/Flyers
23 millions for the next 14 years.

If I recall correctly when the new CBA was signed, the compliance buyouts were going to be paid with the Player's HRR money, or counted against their HRR. So if I understand this correctly, it means the 23 millions for the next 14 years will be paid by his fellow players and not the Flyers organisation?

The Flyers will pay the $23M, it just doesn't count against the salary cap.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
tumblr_md3ocpI5781qm6tiu.gif

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree it would be foolish to expect a .944 clip for a whole season, but i see no reason why he couldnt play in the .915-.920 range compared to the .890-.900 he put up for 2 seasons

I think that's a little ambitious. I expect him to be in the .910-.915 range though I can't tell you why, It's more of a gut feeling. Sure he looked good but it was only a few games and he was much much worse for the previous 3+ years. He's young enough that he can turn it around but I don't think he's a number 1.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
So glad this bum will be outta Philly. Our fans deserve better play from a goaltender. Never liked Bryz, never will.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
I am sorry, but if any player in the locker room this year dogged it simply because they didnt like Bryz...they should be the ones being shipped out. I mean come on, you are professionals. I dont care what profession you go in, you are going to work with people you don't like...you suck it up and do your job. You are getting paid a lot of money to perform at a certain level...thinking your goalie is weird is not an excuse to half ass it.

Bryz is the logical choice to be bought out because of his contract. I still think next year would be smarter, but I am fine with it now assuming they bring in a decent goalie and spend his money wisely.

Cant wait to hear his parting words...should be good. At least the media circus will be over with...until they find their next victim to run out of town...

Where does it say anyone " dogged it"?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I guess blaming the media for this buy-out is the last attempt effort by the Bryz supporters to deflect from his mediocre play.

I never really bashed Bryz for the media circus but he's getting bought-out because he's not a good goalie and there's better options out there at a lesser salary/cap hit.

I can't wait for his parting words though, it should be a good one.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I don't like it at all. If Bryzgalov is bought out, the G they bring in had better be able to give Mason a battle for the starter's job because Mason still has a lot of convincing to do that his few games with the Flyers weren't adrenaline, new scenery, and pixie dust.

Not Nabokov; his dismal showing against the Penguins really soured me on him having anything left. Not anyone wearing the O&B last season (goes without saying). Not washed-up has-beens (Theodore) or hardly-weres (Ellis). Halak I could warm to the idea, and I'm getting comfortable with the rumoured Bernier-for-Read swap.

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
I was more concerned about giving up Matt Clackson myself.

It was only one 3rd rounder that went to Pittsburgh by the way. We traded a 2011 3rd rounder which was originally owned by Pittsburgh and acquired in the Dan Hamuis rights deal. Phoenix kept that pick and traded our 2012 3rd rounder to Pittsburgh.

the flyer traded 2 3rd round picks to phx. the first was the penquins 3rd rounder 2011 draft from the dan hamhuis trade. phx selected Harrison Ruopp. the second pick was the flyers third round from 2012. before the 2012 draft, Pittsburgh Penguins traded Zbynek Michalek to the Phoenix Coyotes for Harrison Ruopp, Marc Cheverie and a 3rd round selection in 2012( which was the flyers third round pick) with that pick the penquins selected Oskar Sundqvist . both draft picks that the flyers sent to phx have ended upin the penquins system

source: flyer trade history, hfboards futures. tsn players page

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
the flyer traded 2 3rd round picks to phx. the first was the penquins 3rd rounder 2011 draft from the dan hamhuis trade. phx selected Harrison Ruopp. the second pick was the flyers third round from 2012. before the 2012 draft, Pittsburgh Penguins traded Zbynek Michalek to the Phoenix Coyotes for Harrison Ruopp, Marc Cheverie and a 3rd round selection in 2012( which was the flyers third round pick) with that pick the penquins selected Oskar Sundqvist . both draft picks that the flyers sent to phx have ended upin the penquins system

source: flyer trade history, hfboards futures. tsn players page

I stand corrected. I'm still not worried about it though.

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
1. Looks like my Comcast bill will be going up.... thanks Bryz

2. I think this is the end for Read if they make a play for Bernier.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
No way. He showed his quirky side and our media absolutely lambasted him.

Media played their role but don't act like Bryz was perfect. Ever since he announced that Bob was starting the Winter Classic he has been a moody diva.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
Great, here we go again.

Drive another goalie out of town, then have to give up assets to acquire another one. Then over, and over, and over, and over.

So tired of this ****. It's a ****** contract, but Holmgren and/or Snider were the ones who wrote it up, flew Bryz to town, and wined and dined him.

Yeah they did, and the goalie decided to be a doucebag so he could get bought out so he gets paid and gets to play on another team and get paid again.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I don't like it at all. If Bryzgalov is bought out, the G they bring in had better be able to give Mason a battle for the starter's job because Mason still has a lot of convincing to do that his few games with the Flyers weren't adrenaline, new scenery, and pixie dust.

Not Nabokov; his dismal showing against the Penguins really soured me on him having anything left. Not anyone wearing the O&B last season (goes without saying). Not washed-up has-beens (Theodore) or hardly-weres (Ellis). Halak I could warm to the idea, and I'm getting comfortable with the rumoured Bernier-for-Read swap.

Buffalo fan wants to know if there's an appetite for Miller here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad