News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
The fact that we threw away the solution to our goalie position for a second rounder to make room for this guy, who we're now buying out two seasons later . . . it just sucks all the enthusiasm from me as a fan.

supa scoop

Oct 13, 2008
Bridgeton, NJ
Great, here we go again.

Drive another goalie out of town, then have to give up assets to acquire another one. Then over, and over, and over, and over.

So tired of this ****. It's a ****** contract, but Holmgren and/or Snider were the ones who wrote it up, flew Bryz to town, and wined and dined him.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
to make this fiasco sound worse, holmgren gave up 2 third round picks to phx for the right to sign the goalie. by the way both picks are in the penguins system.

Forgot about that..who are they? I hope they never see the light of day in the NHL.

As far as the comment about Bryz winning a Vezina....the sun has set on that IMO and he certainly wouldn't do it here unlike Bob who I do believe could have still been a Vezina candidate like he is now if he had remained with the Flyers.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Oh well. I will get eaten alive for this opinion, but: I'm happy to see a horrible contract gone. I'm not happy to see the guy gone...

One thing would be fitting for sure - if he miraculously turned his game around and in a year we would be seeing threads like "What would Bryz winning the Vezina mean for the Flyers." This twist would be so absurd it will probably happen

****, now I'm scared.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If true, it would be nice if Holmgren added the prospective replacement before showing Bryzgalov the door just to, you know, have some small shred of leverage in negotiations. As long as Bryzgalov is part of the team, Holmgren can arguably walk away from someone asking for the moon.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
to make this fiasco sound worse, holmgren gave up 2 third round picks to phx for the right to sign the goalie. by the way both picks are in the penguins system.

I was more concerned about giving up Matt Clackson myself.

It was only one 3rd rounder that went to Pittsburgh by the way. We traded a 2011 3rd rounder which was originally owned by Pittsburgh and acquired in the Dan Hamuis rights deal. Phoenix kept that pick and traded our 2012 3rd rounder to Pittsburgh.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If true, it would be nice if Holmgren added the prospective replacement before showing Bryzgalov the door just to, you know, have some small shred of leverage in negotiations. As long as Bryzgalov is part of the team, Holmgren can arguably walk away from someone asking for the moon.

You are asking that Holmgren think a couple of steps ahead? :laugh:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Great, here we go again.

Drive another goalie out of town, then have to give up assets to acquire another one. Then over, and over, and over, and over.

So tired of this ****. It's a ****** contract, but Holmgren and/or Snider were the ones who wrote it up, flew Bryz to town, and wined and dined him.

He drove himself outta town man.

Clyde Donovan

Nov 29, 2009
Philly
Gaurantee Briere tears it up in the playoffs next season for whatever team he's on. Still probably needs to be bought out though.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
He was terrible, a distraction and also one of the highest paid goalies in the league. Call it "driving him out of town" or whatever you want, but he has to go.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
team of babies can't seem to get along.

WE DON'T LIKE HIM!!! WAHHHHHHHHH

We don't know it for a fact but during sleep gate it was mentioned that some of the younger players don't like or get him...supposedly the whistleblower was one of the younger players. Who knows. Bryz is just an odd fellow..maybe he's misunderstood but the team seems to be wasting too much energy on all the controversy that seems to surround him whether real or misplaced. Just too much of a distraction at this point and that contract is just too onerous considering what the Flyers need to do to get the team back as a contender. Bryz is not a bad goalie but he is not the answer we thought he would be and that is more Bryz's fault than anything but management should have done more due diligence...they acted too impatiently because of the playoff musical goalie debacle.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I really don't like the idea of buying out brier. weve been lugging around his cap hit for all this time and now hes finally on the cheap salary end of the deal where he might actually have some value and What?. you don't move a proven playoff performer like that if you expect to make the playoffs

Firstly, the Flyers don't care that much about actual salary. They care about cap hit. Second, he has been flat out brutal the last two regular seasons. He literally contributed nothing to the team and had the highest cap hit. Yes, he always put up points in the playoffs. He may continue to do so, he may not. I'm not willing to take the chance he may find it again. He's older and slower and flat out doesn't compete on a nightly basis. I also believe he drags down his linemates. For example, I think Brayden Schenn would have been much more consistant and put up better numbers had Briere not been attached to him.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Should have put him on DRY ISLAND the whole year... Go home Bryz, you're drunk! HAHA...

It's all hearsay at this point, but funny nonetheless.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No way. He showed his quirky side and our media absolutely lambasted him.

He also played far, far below his cap hit (on average) for 99 regular season games, and has turned in one horrible playoff series and one mediocre playoff series. His on-ice performance is a much bigger issue than his personality.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I was in support of keeping him for the yr and buying him out next season cause I figured the team didn't need the space this offseason (with Briere gone) plus I couldn't think of any practical solutions to the goalie problem. Now with Streit and the possibility of some other moves I'm more then ok with it.

supa scoop

Oct 13, 2008
Bridgeton, NJ
He also played far, far below his cap hit (on average) for 99 regular season games, and has turned in one horrible playoff series and one mediocre playoff series. His on-ice performance is a much bigger issue than his personality.

I won't argue that he has been playing below expectations but damn.. I'd perform like **** too if after every ****** day of work I had to deal with five to ten Tim Pannocios. Contract you can blame Snider or Holmgren whoever the **** thought it would be a good idea.

He is not worth his contract but he is not the problem, unless these baseless rumors of his teammates hating him are true.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I won't argue that he has been playing below expectations but damn.. I'd perform like **** too if after every ****** day of work I had to deal with five to ten Tim Pannocios. Contract you can blame Snider or Holmgren whoever the **** thought it would be a good idea.

He is not worth his contract but he is not the problem, unless these baseless rumors of his teammates hating him are true.

Blaming anyone other than Bryz for his downfall is incredibly dumb. There has been many players who had to deal with the pack of idiots in the media here and still performed well in the past.

You can match Bryz's production with other cheaper options while strengthening other positions to make up for it. That's what it all comes down to.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I'm sure Bryzgalov will be fine taking his millions and moving on. I'm more pissed that the Flyers seemingly didn't do their homework when figuring what kind of guy he is. His lack of any sort of professionalism or seriousness coupled with his ****** play make him one of my least favorite players to ever wear a Flyers uniform.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Blaming anyone other than Bryz for his downfall is incredibly dumb. There has been many players who had to deal with the pack of idiots in the media here and still performed well in the past.

You can match Bryz's production with other cheaper options while strengthening other positions to make up for it. That's what it all comes down to.

Not to mention the fact that the media can only really bother you if you let them bother you. How mentally soft do you have to be that a guy like Tim P. is enough to throw you completely off?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad