Confirmed with Link: Bryan little's contract to az with nathan smith for a 4th

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not bummed at moving the contract. Bummed at paying to do so. I was looking forward to Smith.

This explains getting Apples back. Cost us a 4th. We got a higher 4th back.

If Smith wasn't going to sign here, is it really paying to do so? It basically means Appleton is free.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wishing nothing for the best for Little. He gave us so much and was always underrated.

Hopefully Smith fizzles out and heads to Europe or gets stuck in the minors.

Reactions: Aggie204

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Using my best Mark Scheifele immitation… FRICK!
I had high hopes for Smith. I’ll be watching his career with interest.
I’m surprised considering the close ties this team has to Minnesota as well as the close proximity. A bit of a jerk move considering all the work and communication with him over the years.
Chevy did the right thing in a sucky situation.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Using my best Mark Scheifele immitation… FRICK!
I had high hopes for Smith. I’ll be watching his career with interest.
I’m surprised considering the close ties this team has to Minnesota as well as the close proximity. A bit of a jerk move considering all the work and communication with him over the years.
Chevy did the right thing in a sucky situation.
Since he's a Florida kid, I wouldn't be surprised if his years in Minnesota made him realize that he didn't want to spend his life in some God forsaken arctic wasteland. With crappy WiFi. :laugh:

Reactions: hn777 and Orrrules

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I had high hopes for Smith, surprised if he had reluctance in signing here considering how bare we are with right handed shots, seems like there was a good opportunity for a player like him.

Reactions: LowLefty

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I imagine insurance pays a contract for an injured player, no? So it likely wasn't cash that was an issue. But getting rid of it gives the Jets more flexibility as the cap space can accrue throughout the year. It means they see themselves competing for the playoffs in the next two years and want to be able to add at the deadline. So any thought of Wheeler or Scheif leaving, you can forget it. This is the team.

Sucks to lose Smith but if he wasnt going to sign here and Arizona took Little's contract, a 4th is pretty good.
My understanding is it's up to the team to decide if they want insurance or not on each individual contract. Would say they probably wouldn't bother for a min. wage guy. But for a bigger and longer contract, I would think they insured at least part of it (I think you can insure a percentage of it).

I have no idea if the insurance policy gets "traded" too. :dunno:

Arizona will need to be at the floor next year also, which I think is around $60M.

Reactions: The Unknown Poster

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I had high hopes for Smith, surprised if he had reluctance in signing here considering how bare we are with right handed shots, seems like there was a good opportunity for a player like him.
My guess is he wanted to turn pro earlier and the Jets said no.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Someone in the media better ask Nate Schmidt if he was sweating seeing the Jets trading Nathan Beaulieu and Nathan Smith. I'm sure he'll give a good soundbite.

Reactions: Oilpeg and jungles

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Someone in the media better ask Nate Schmidt if he was sweating seeing the Jets trading Nathan Beaulieu and Nathan Smith. I'm sure he'll give a good soundbite.
He's safe because nobody refers to him as Nathan.

Reactions: None

The Unknown Poster

Mar 21, 2014
My understanding is it's up to the team to decide if they want insurance or not on each individual contract. Would say they probably wouldn't bother for a min. wage guy. But for a bigger and longer contract, I would think they insured at least part of it (I think you can insure a percentage of it).

I have no idea if the insurance policy gets "traded" too. :dunno:

Arizona will need to be at the floor next year also, which I think is around $60M.
Arizona has over $20 million in LTIR dont they? Which doesnt count against the cap so I doubt they'd want to get to the floor AND pay cash out of pocket. Must be insurance involved.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
smith nothing going to sign here, ltir is a pain in the ass to deal with and now we don't it was the best move we could have made tbh..

LTIR isn't that big a pain to deal with for a capologist.
But since it now appears that Smith was not going to sign here, I'm OK with this.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
As much as I was high on Nathan Smith finishing college, and joining the Jets, I really like this move. Little was a key player when he was healthy for the Jets, but sadly, his career is all but over. It will be good to free up some cap space.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Sad to see Little go even if he's basically retired already
Also disappointing to lose Smith but it sounds like he may have ditched us anyways

Reactions: thereturn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad