Injury Report: Bryan Little

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Jets are in a bit of a tough spot with regards to spending his salary on reinforcements for next year. We were handcuffed by the Buff situation last year and who knows when the Little situation will be resolved.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Sounds like Little is done, best of luck on your future endeavours Bryan!

Jets’ Little not sure if he’ll play again

I thought that would be the result from day 1
Bryan has had some horrible issues over the last 3 seasons.
He will be missed a class act.
No controversy with this guy just played hard with no complaints and some here never appreciated his contributions.
Best wishes for a healthy life Bryan.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought that would be the result from day 1
Bryan has had some horrible issues over the last 3 seasons.
He will be missed a class act.
No controversy with this guy just played hard with no complaints and some here never appreciated his contributions.
Best wishes for a healthy life Bryan.
IMO he took way more s*** then he ever deserved. Always one of my favourite Jets. Like you said a class act all the way.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't know if Little is done. From the article I read he was practicing with the team, and then was cleared for contact, until he went to the Mayo clinic, who shut him down. It's interesting that the Jets doctors are involved in both Buff and Little getting clearance, yet not returning to play.

I think he comes back, at some point next season.

As a footnote, I hope we sign a guy who gets some retribution for Kunin's hit on Little, and Tkachuk's attempt to injure Scheifele.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know if Little is done. From the article I read he was practicing with the team, and then was cleared for contact, until he went to the Mayo clinic, who shut him down. It's interesting that the Jets doctors are involved in both Buff and Little getting clearance, yet not returning to play.

I think he comes back, at some point next season.

As a footnote, I hope we sign a guy who gets some retribution for Kunin's hit on Little, and Tkachuk's attempt to injure Scheifele.
My take with no medical knowledge is that if Little wanted to return he eventually could, but the experts in the area have warned that he is at risk of even greater injury with another head trauma. Against that you have a man with a young family who is financially secure making a decision is the risk worth the reward.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
This is really too bad. It sounds like there's a slim chance he'll be back playing again.

However, it also sounds like there's nothing in regards to physical discomfort, which is good. Health is really important, and is something Bryan Little should look at first.

Wishing him the best of luck, no matter which way things go.

Yup, Little says when he feels better he looks forward to getting back on the ice with the Atlanta Thrashers!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My take with no medical knowledge is that if Little wanted to return he eventually could, but the experts in the area have warned that he is at risk of even greater injury with another head trauma. Against that you have a man with a young family who is financially secure making a decision is the risk worth the reward.

I think it's just the season though. Brain injuries do heal. Look at Crosby. I don't think Little is ready to hang them up, but like you say he's made a good living, has a family to think about, does he want to risk his quality of life, in that risk vs. reward? He's probably closer to Clarke Mac Arthur territory now in terms of his career. But I think there would be an emotional lift if Bryan Little ever had another playoff run with the team.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think it's just the season though. Brain injuries do heal. Look at Crosby. I don't think Little is ready to hang them up, but like you say he's made a good living, has a family to think about, does he want to risk his quality of life, in that risk vs. reward? He's probably closer to Clarke Mac Arthur territory now in terms of his career. But I think there would be an emotional lift if Bryan Little ever had another playoff run with the team.

can’t see a playoff run with the Jets happening anytime soon, and if it happens it will be real short once again!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is a brain injury but also an ear drum injury that required surgery followed by 6 weeks of no activity. Injuries heal but it doesn't mean that further trauma doesn't present an even greater risk. Knees, ankles and shoulders can be re-injured and healed and players can go on to normal lives. Brains, seeing, hearing can drastically impact the quality of life with re-injury.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
JMO....but I see Little retiring. Not sure when, but ultimately he will decide that his long term health is more important. It’s been 10 months and his scans still show something that says getting hit in the head again isn’t a good idea. If he feels OK for day to day life , but has a risk of getting worse with hockey contact, then just walk away.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
JMO....but I see Little retiring. Not sure when, but ultimately he will decide that his long term health is more important. It’s been 10 months and his scans still show something that says getting hit in the head again isn’t a good idea. If he feels OK for day to day life , but has a risk of getting worse with hockey contact, then just walk away.
Don't think he'll need to retire per se, but I think there's a good chance that he goes on LTIR for the rest of his contract. As I understand it, his injury included intracranial hemorrhage (i.e. bleeding in the brain). Dear of another more serious bleed would be a serious consideration.

Whatever he decides, for the Jets the earlier the decision the better.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
it's been a rough 2 years for him. but i see him trying to give it a go at camp

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm in the "walk away" camp. One more hit and he could be looking at devastating health issues for the rest of his life. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

Selfishly, he makes the Jets a better team, so I'd love to see him suit up

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I'm in the "walk away" camp. One more hit and he could be looking at devastating health issues for the rest of his life. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

Selfishly, he makes the Jets a better team, so I'd love to see him suit up

this and this is why i see slim to none in chances of him returning. Any good doctor would probably tell him this exact same thing and having a family and more then enough money i think hes done. He said he would only return if the DR said there is not much risk. Not sure I see a DR after a brain bleed and a blown ear saying you are good to go minimal risk. Part of the interview you say ok there is a chance then other parts you say there is almost no chance he comes back. Im sure Chevy and the team have even more info then he told us today and they probably also know 90 percent chance he is done. We probably wont know more until he goes on LTIR and does not skate at camp, but im sure the team will know well before camp

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

Not saying brain injuries can’t heal, but I believe Crosby’s injury was a misdiagnosed soft tissue neck injury that healed quickly once identified. Apparently Hendrix Lapierre has had a similar issue this year.

We really missed Little this year. He was playing great and was exactly what we needed once we no longer had him. And it’s like we didn’t even know it.

He seems like a good man. I really hope he’s feeling good and able to enjoy his life 100%. He seems very smart too - I wonder if he’s interested in coaching.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I hope he doesn't play anymore. Its just a game, entertainment for the rest of us. It is not worth sacrificing the quality of life for the rest of his life.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I wish more players were like Little, work your ass off every game and no bitching . He will be missed but i hope he doesn't play anymore, you don't mess around with the brain and it is just a game after all .
Where do you see a lot of players bitching?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad