Injury Report: Bryan Little

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I know he never complained, you were insinuating other players complain
Didn't Maurice have to go to Finland and talk to Laine because Laine was unhappy about ice time or who he was playing with this past off season ?

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Other than the last couple seasons, I think Little was the most respected player by hfjets board. He sounds to be in a good place as far as enjoying his time with his family.

Reactions: Board Bard

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I have a question for the board.

If we put Bryan Little on LTIR could we have him as a coach on our team? Is that allowed, can True North be technically still paying him as a player, and a coach? I know there is some funny stuff around LTIR, like Pronger being paid, while working for the NHL, but can a team have an injured player be a coach, while insurance is covering his salary? Because with Todd Woodcroft leaving don't you think Little would be a damn good replacement behind the bench?

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have a question for the board.

If we put Bryan Little on LTIR could we have him as a coach on our team? Is that allowed, can True North be technically still paying him as a player, and a coach? I know there is some funny stuff around LTIR, like Pronger being paid, while working for the NHL, but can a team have an injured player be a coach, while insurance is covering his salary? Because with Todd Woodcroft leaving don't you think Little would be a damn good replacement behind the bench?

If Pronger can work for the league office while on LTIR then I see no reason why Brian couldn't help us in some other capacity.

Reactions: Jets 31

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Because with Todd Woodcroft leaving don't you think Little would be a damn good replacement behind the bench?

Everyone loves Little. If he ever wanted to transition his career now is a great time. Getting paid as a player while learning the ropes as a coach. I am not sure that he would be an instant replacement behind the bench. There is a difference between coaching and playing. Not all great players can be good coaches. It takes time and experience to coach at the NHL level. Maybe he can do it. If Little goes on LTIR it is in the organization's best interest to employ him somewhere so they aren't throwing away his salary.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Everyone loves Little. If he ever wanted to transition his career now is a great time. Getting paid as a player while learning the ropes as a coach. I am not sure that he would be an instant replacement behind the bench. There is a difference between coaching and playing. Not all great players can be good coaches. It takes time and experience to coach at the NHL level. Maybe he can do it. If Little goes on LTIR it is in the organization's best interest to employ him somewhere so they aren't throwing away his salary.

They will be throwing away his salary regardless, if you want to put it that way. He's not going to work for the organization in another capacity and just say, oh no need to pay me for this work, I'm getting enough money from my player contract. It's all good, guys.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They will be throwing away his salary regardless, if you want to put it that way. He's not going to work for the organization in another capacity and just say, oh no need to pay me for this work, I'm getting enough money from my player contract. It's all good, guys.

Yup they will have to give him a salary for whatever front office role he may have.

Reactions: BatVader

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019

I don't think that they will pay him 2 salaries if he decided to work elsewhere in the organization, lol.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I don't think that they will pay him 2 salaries if he decided to work elsewhere in the organization, lol. If Little can no longer play and does not retire he gets paid his salary for the duration of his contract while on LTIR. If he contributes to the organization in another capacity they won't pay him a second salary. They would be accommodating him within the workplace.
I don’t think that’s really how LTIR works.
If i remember correctly, if he’s injured and on LTIR, his salary is paid through insurance. If he works in the org somewhere other than as an on ice player, while on LTIR, the org will have to pay him a salary for that.
Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
I don’t think that’s really how LTIR works.
If i remember correctly, if he’s injured and on LTIR, his salary is paid through insurance. If he works in the org somewhere other than as an on ice player, while on LTIR, the org will have to pay him a salary for that.
Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

If that is the case then great for Little!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So is it just me, or does the trade for Stastny mean that we aren't going to see Little again. If he were to return the Jets would be over the salary cap (and they still need to sign several RFAs).

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So is it just me, or does the trade for Stastny mean that we aren't going to see Little again. If he were to return the Jets would be over the salary cap (and they still need to sign several RFAs).

I don't think Little will play next season, with or without Stastny:
Winnipeg's Bryan Little Contemplating Life After Hockey Following Scary Injury - Full Press Coverage

If he ever is able to return to the hockey, I guess it will be 21-22 season. But for him, the most important factor is to never get a hit into the head again and thus be able to be a husband and a father after the hockey career. It might be not worth the risk to play NHL anymore.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
On TSN 1290, Chevy just said that the doctors recommend Little does NOT play next season.

Too bad for Little. What is interesting is that the Jets had him skating last season and he was almost cleared by their doctors and close to a return until he went for a second opinion to Mayo clinic I believe and they told him not to play. Imagine if he didn't go for that second opinion? Not sure why he was almost cleared to play back then. Im glad he's playing it safe right now but will miss watching him play on the ice. Losing him and Buff in one year stings as they were both good at hockey.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Too bad for Little. What is interesting is that the Jets had him skating last season and he was almost cleared by their doctors and close to a return until he went for a second opinion to Mayo clinic I believe and they told him not to play. Imagine if he didn't go for that second opinion? Not sure why he was almost cleared to play back then. Im glad he's playing it safe right now but will miss watching him play on the ice. Losing him and Buff in one year stings as they were both good at hockey.
One of my favourite Jets in the 2.0 era. Did whatever the team asked at a high level and without complaint. Sad that injuries plagued him in his last few years. May he and his family have a long and happy life from here on out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing and None

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
just out of curiosity... what happens if the docs recommend the player doesn’t play, the team thinks he shouldn’t play, but the player thinks they can play?..
He needs to be medically cleared before he can play. If the doctors are all agreeing that he shouldn't play he wont be medically cleared. He could request an independent medical opinion but based on what Chevy said today, they have given him the time to seek independent medical advice and nobody has told him it is safe for him to play yet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why can't he take the year off and come back in 21-22?

If they clear him next offseason then he can come back. But id have to think that it will be hard to motivate Little to train heavily after the recent news for what will likely be the same news.

I think this is the nail on the coffin for him unfortunately.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There are times I get caught up talking about the business end of the Little injury in regards to how it impacts the Cap.

What I never lose sight of is that Bryan is a stand up guy, he put the team first, never complained, and was a talented competitor. He flew a bit under the radar and I didn’t see many Little jersey’s in the stands because he was quite and not flashy but he is my kind of player and I am proud he is a Jet.

Wishing you a full recovery and very thankful for you on this Thanksgiving weekend!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad