Injury Report: Bryan Little

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
It strikes me as odd that doctors would only tell him "take the year off". They're effectively saying they're confident that he won't recover by the end of the hockey season (hypothetically, June 2021?) despite the injury happening in November, 2019. I may be getting ahead of myself, but if you're not good to play after over a year and a half, will you ever be good to play again?

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
It is easy to treat these guys like gameboard pieces when you are fan, but just want to say how much I appreciate Little. I hope he gets better won't forget what he has done for this franchise, especially the first half of the Jets return.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It strikes me as odd that doctors would only tell him "take the year off". They're effectively saying they're confident that he won't recover by the end of the hockey season (hypothetically, June 2021?) despite the injury happening in November, 2019. I may be getting ahead of myself, but if you're not good to play after over a year and a half, will you ever be good to play again?

I'm sure the chances of him playing are slim. I also think Chevy didn't want to be the one to say his career was over, leaving that to Brian.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
He’ll be 2 years removed from play by next season.
At his age, 33/34 next season, it makes it very unlikely he returns after that long off the ice.
I think a lot of this announcement is behind the scenes business related stuff we will likely never know about.

I hope the Jets Org. finds a spot for him somewhere, if he’s unable to ride out LTIR for his full contract.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think posters are writing off Bryan Little a little to fast, and if he came back from a real bad neck injury, he can come back from this one. He was cleared at one time to play, then not cleared later by the Mayo Clinic. He's proven to be quite a gutsy player when it comes to injuries.

He just may say to himself -screw all the medical experts, I feel fine, and if Stastny can play at 35 yrs old, I think I can come and play at 34. He would just wear extra head protection.

He very well may not come back, but you never know for sure, although I'm not sure the Jet's could afford to have him back with the trade of Paul Stastny, coming back to the Jets.

Likely he retires, but I won't be shocked to see him return and play.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
He’ll be 2 years removed from play by next season.
At his age, 33/34 next season, it makes it very unlikely he returns after that long off the ice.
I think a lot of this announcement is behind the scenes business related stuff we will likely never know about.

I hope the Jets Org. finds a spot for him somewhere, if he’s unable to ride out LTIR for his full contract.

this exactly. He has already been off a year and if they say they don't want him to play for essentially the next year, there is no way all the sudden the doctors are going to just be like ok Bryan the risk is now minor have at it. Bryan being a smart guy i know he will make the right decision to listen to medical advice. Hes done. I am guessing the year off thing is a behind the scenes type of reason, we don't know enoigh about the legal and insurance side of it. Think of all the past LTIR to never play again, everyone knew they were done but I don't believe for many if any of them it was announced they were done hockey or 100 percent can't play again. It's usually kept queit and they fade away and dissapear. Which is a sad way to end/go out for a loyal stand up guy like Bryan

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think posters are writing off Bryan Little a little to fast, and if he came back from a real bad neck injury, he can come back from this one. He was cleared at one time to play, then not cleared later by the Mayo Clinic. He's proven to be quite a gutsy player when it comes to injuries.

He just may say to himself -screw all the medical experts, I feel fine, and if Stastny can play at 35 yrs old, I think I can come and play at 34. He would just wear extra head protection.

He very well may not come back, but you never know for sure, although I'm not sure the Jet's could afford to have him back with the trade of Paul Stastny, coming back to the Jets.

Likely he retires, but I won't be shocked to see him return and play.
Extra head protection?
A pillow?

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I really, really hope he sticks around the organization in some capacity or gets into coaching, sooner than later. His behavior and leadership is exactly what you want your youth to grow up to be, and he's still a damn good hockey player. He seems like a natural.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Stand up guy and probably the most underrated Jet since I joined the boards in 2014. If he doesn't return I hope the org helps him land on his feet in whatever direction his next chapter takes him.

It's either Little or Enstrom for most underrated, IMO :DD

Little has always been a great player and great character to have around. Soft-spoken, intelligent dude. He will be missed for sure.

Reactions: Ducky10

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The video of the recent passing of Timur Faizutdinov really reminded me of Little's injury. Had the puck that hit Little been an inch or so off from where it hit him we could have seen the worst case scenario with him as well. Hard to look at this way, but Little was very lucky it was only career ending and not fatal. Not only that, but had it been fatal there is no saying how that could have potentially destroyed the psyche of many players on the team, especially Ehlers.
RIP to Timur and I sure hope his league has good psychologists on staff to help all the players who will undoubtedly be traumatized by this.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I still hold out a glimmer of hope that Bryan can return. Just a fabulous player and human. I know he's doing as much as he can physically to be ready when and if he's cleared - but they want to make sure that it's safe and that he won't have any additional impacts to his health post career.

Gotta be damned scary for these guys who've had multiple concussions. When Alexander Romanov hit Ehlers with the main point of contact to the head last night, no one even mentioned it, but those are exactly the kind of hits that need to be severely punished in the NHL. Even though it definitely didn't look like it was on purpose, it's still a dangerous hit that has no place in the game any more.

I have zero confidence that the NHL can properly address this situation because their entire officiating department, from referees to the 'Player Safety' department have no earthly idea how to protect the players, or they care more about the entertainment value of the game than the players health. It should be the number one priority for the NHLPA to push for stronger enforcement and discipline of all contact to the head.

It's bad enough that you can get concussive force even with body to body or body to boards contact, but you can eliminate contact to the head.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I still hold out a glimmer of hope that Bryan can return. Just a fabulous player and human. I know he's doing as much as he can physically to be ready when and if he's cleared - but they want to make sure that it's safe and that he won't have any additional impacts to his health post career.

Gotta be damned scary for these guys who've had multiple concussions. When Alexander Romanov hit Ehlers with the main point of contact to the head last night, no one even mentioned it, but those are exactly the kind of hits that need to be severely punished in the NHL. Even though it definitely didn't look like it was on purpose, it's still a dangerous hit that has no place in the game any more.

I have zero confidence that the NHL can properly address this situation because their entire officiating department, from referees to the 'Player Safety' department have no earthly idea how to protect the players, or they care more about the entertainment value of the game than the players health. It should be the number one priority for the NHLPA to push for stronger enforcement and discipline of all contact to the head.

It's bad enough that you can get concussive force even with body to body or body to boards contact, but you can eliminate contact to the head.
Agreed, i did mention the hit on our PGT , definitely a hit to the head even if Ehlers doesn't think so .

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed, i did mention the hit on our PGT , definitely a hit to the head even if Ehlers doesn't think so .
Ehlers is just being a good 'hockey man'. It shouldn't be up to the players to decide what is dangerous and what isn't because especially when you're young and in the prime of your career, you don't think you'll ever get seriously hurt and you don't consider the long term impacts of stuff like this. There's a litany of documentaries of pro athletes who's lives were destroyed by head injury.

It should be treated just like a high stick - doesn't matter if it's accidental. Contact to the head is an automatic minor, with serious penalties/ suspensions for any type of targeting. Get it out of the game.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ehlers is just being a good 'hockey man'. It shouldn't be up to the players to decide what is dangerous and what isn't because especially when you're young and in the prime of your career, you don't think you'll ever get seriously hurt and you don't consider the long term impacts of stuff like this. There's a litanly of documentaries of pro athletes who's lives were destroyed by head injury.

It should be treated just like a high stick - doesn't matter if it's accidental. Contact to the head is an automatic minor, with serious penalties/ suspensions for any type of targeting. Get it out of the game.
Stanley also contacts ppl’s head when he hits because he is 7 inches taller than everyone. Is Ehlers 5 inches shorter than everybody that it’s really tough to line up his shoulder on the fly. Tough when there is such height differences.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Stanley also contacts ppl’s head when he hits because he is 7 inches taller than everyone. Is Ehlers 5 inches shorter than everybody that it’s really tough to line up his shoulder on the fly. Tough when there is such height differences.
Zoinks, I think you’re a bit off on your heights there re: Ehlers.

Both hockeyDB and eliteprospects list Romanov and Ehlers as the same height — six-foot even. Romanov’s hit was subtle, but a clear hit to the head. Not sure if was intentional, but it certainly was to the head.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What if little comes back next year ???

who goes ??? What happens ??
Why would he come back? He's been out of the game for years (would never get back to the level of play he's used to) and could be one head shot away from permanent disability.

He's done, and I'm happy that we got to watch both his play and professionalism as jets fans. Hopefully he turns the page on his career and moves on to.the next stage of life without any permanent effects

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Why would he come back? He's been out of the game for years (would never get back to the level of play he's used to) and could be one head shot away from permanent disability.

He's done, and I'm happy that we got to watch both his play and professionalism as jets fans. Hopefully he turns the page on his career and moves on to.the next stage of life without any permanent effects

I agree. I’m just saying players have came back from serious injuries before. And if he wants to come back we have no choice.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If you get a penalty every time you do it you'll stop :)

Reactions: GumbyCan2

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Unless you remove all contact and fighting from hockey you will never get rid of all head shots. Just like what the posters above mention the height differences between players alone guarantee some hits will contact the head. Also even if you removed all contact head shot from pucks will continue to happen like what happened to Little.

Hockey is a contact sport and the players and league know this. The NHL should do everything possible to minimise heads hits but they should also get the players to sign off that they understand the risks they are taking playing NHL hockey and are willing to take that risk.

All the best to Brain Little and his family. He played his heart out every night and like others have said he is a good person. I think he is probably done as a NHL player. Even if his health improves to the point he ok'd to return would he be good enough after 1 1/2 or 2 years off at his age? If he never returns and the Jets win a cup soon I hope the team would give him a ring also.

Nov 24, 2006

Little is a guy that I’d like to see sticking with the organization in some capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad