Injury Report: Bryan Little

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The Jets don’t get to say if Little suffered a brain injury or not. It is personal confidential medical information and only Bryan Little has a say on what gets released.
Maybe? In the "written book of rights" but c'mon man. What do you really expect? All rules to be followedproperly, all the time. I sure don't count on responsible accountability on much anymore.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Little's problem is a lot worse than just an ear drum healing. Inner ear - balance. Concussion - brain. I'm guessing it was a pretty severe concussion, and he was just nicely back from a previous concussion.
They said he had some bleeding on the brain, that's serious and i don't think doctors would clear him to play contact sports of any kind anymore. At least that's what happened to me , although my bleed was deep in the brain so that might make a difference. Still i think Little might be done too unfortunately. :(

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They said he had some bleeding on the brain, that's serious and i don't think doctors would clear him to play contact sports of any kind anymore. At least that's what happened to me , although my bleed was deep in the brain so that might make a difference. Still i think Little might be done too unfortunately. :(

Obviously not 100% certain yet. They were talking about him coming back within days just before the lockdown. Now he is scheduled for more tests. It sounds like done to me, but maybe the tests come back with a good result. We'll see.

Reactions: Jets 31

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

It was my thoughts at the time it happened.
He’s going to do right by his family.
Whatever that is ultimately.

Reactions: Jets 31

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think they should "redesign" the helmets, and prevent injuries like Little got-- with some modifications. If you'll notice the sides of the hockey helmet are flat and go "around" the ear -- like over and above. This is likely done to let the player hear properly. The ear area is totally exposed, as well as the head area around the ear. Actually I think the ears stick out from the sides of the helmet -- if I'm not mistaken.

My idea would be to have the ear area totally covered -- sort of like a football helmet, but with a good sized whole in it. to allow for proper hearing. If a puck was to hit you in the ear area, it would just hit hard plastic, that is elevated --over and out from the ear. This is something that should be done, and could save somebody else's career or life maybe. They could name the new helmet design the Little Helmet. I'm not joking around hear, shots coming in at 90 miles per hour, on a totally exposed ear area could kill you.

I know it's not common to get hit in the side of the head -- but my idea on a helmet redesign should maybe be implemented. They didn't start wearing Goalie masks until plenty of Goalies took heavy pucks to the face, and hundreds of stitches, and the Goalie mask when thru many design changes unto what we have today -- "very smart."

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
B
I just looked up Little on capfriendly.
He will make about 65m over his career!!!!
Maurice will only play Wheeler at center if Little can't play and another center like Eakin or Lowry go down and even then he might choose to use Copper in their place.
As he should use Copper, when the gold and silver are missing, and your bronze is "iffy", pull out the Copper and polish it off. You might be surprised by the 'glitter affect'?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Obviously not 100% certain yet. They were talking about him coming back within days just before the lockdown. Now he is scheduled for more tests. It sounds like done to me, but maybe the tests come back with a good result. We'll see.
My understanding of the timeline is that he was shutdown before the lockdown. I heard he had been cleared to play, got a second medical opinion, and then got shut down for the rest of the year - all before the lockdown.

Reactions: BatVader

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
My understanding of the timeline is that he was shutdown before the lockdown. I heard he had been cleared to play, got a second medical opinion, and then got shut down for the rest of the year - all before the lockdown.

Really? That’s unfortunate, thought he’d return for the belated playoffs.
What is the official status on Little currently? Is he officially shut down for the rest of the season?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What is the official status on Little currently? Is he officially shut down for the rest of the season?
Don't know what the current status is now. When he was originally shutdown for the season, no one was contemplating that the season would still be going in September.

Reactions: Tommigun

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

OK. The shutdown, 2nd opinion parts are news to me. IIRC, he was cleared to play and Maurice said something like he would be put into the lineup after 1 or 2 more games. I think that was the last I heard.

What you are adding here doesn't really affect the bigger picture. It still looks bad for a Little return.

I wish the guy nothing but the best. My personal opinion has been the same from the moment he took that hit. I've thought that he should think of his future and not play anymore contact sports.

Right now, I think the best thing for all concerned would be for him to finish his career on LTIR so that the Jets can at least use his cap space. I'd love to have him come back and play well for the Jets - if I didn't suspect that he would be risking his future too much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It was recently announced that his return was waiting on the results of tests that were scheduled for late summer. So even if the results are good, it doesn't sound likely that he will make the PO. Of course, we have no start date for that PO, so it isn't absolutely out of the question.

Reactions: Tommigun

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
OK. The shutdown, 2nd opinion parts are news to me. IIRC, he was cleared to play and Maurice said something like he would be put into the lineup after 1 or 2 more games. I think that was the last I heard.

What you are adding here doesn't really affect the bigger picture.

Yes, pedantry more than anything else. Shame on you for thinking I would add anything constructive around here.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, pedantry more than anything else. Shame on you for thinking I would add anything constructive around here.

:laugh: I didn't mean it that way. I'm happy to have the additional info. But it fits with the conclusion I'd already reached so ....... it doesn't change the bigger picture. :)

Reactions: Gil Fisher

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My idea would be to have the ear area totally covered -- sort of like a football helmet, but with a good sized whole in it. to allow for proper hearing. If a puck was to hit you in the ear area, it would just hit hard plastic, that is elevated --over and out from the ear. This is something that should be done, and could save somebody else's career or life maybe. They could name the new helmet design the Little Helmet. I'm not joking around hear, shots coming in at 90 miles per hour, on a totally exposed ear area could kill you.

Aren't the ears covered on "civilian" helmets? Every helmet I've ever owned/worn the ears were covered like this:

26892394353_fbe019c97f.jpg

re-akt-95-hockey-helmet.html

Whereas pro hockey helmets don't have the ear covering apparently:

BryanLittle.jpg

Seems to me they should just require pro helmets have the same covering as "civilian" helmets. I don't see any valid reason to not have them. I've never had any issue hearing in a regular hockey helmet whatsoever. Until you pointed this out I didn't even realize that pros don't have that.

Visors I can actually see the argument -- it's amazing the difference to vision between visor and no visor. But after taking a stick to the mouth I decided that it wasn't worth it and I've worn a full visor since then.

Reactions: irunthepeg and GNP

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
It was recently announced that his return was waiting on the results of tests that were scheduled for late summer. So even if the results are good, it doesn't sound likely that he will make the PO. Of course, we have no start date for that PO, so it isn't absolutely out of the question.

I don't think the organization would be immediately forthcoming that Little is done, since that would crank up the price when trading for a replacement. "Tests in summer" could be accurate, but it could have been a ploy to make a trade at the draft when there still would have been uncertainty. The team is under no obligation to rush any disclosure, but the lack of specific news in regards to his case at this point tells me he's not doing well, and is possibly out permanently.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Aren't the ears covered on "civilian" helmets? Every helmet I've ever owned/worn the ears were covered like this:

26892394353_fbe019c97f.jpg

re-akt-95-hockey-helmet.html

Whereas pro hockey helmets don't have the ear covering apparently:

BryanLittle.jpg

Seems to me they should just require pro helmets have the same covering as "civilian" helmets. I don't see any valid reason to not have them. I've never had any issue hearing in a regular hockey helmet whatsoever. Until you pointed this out I didn't even realize that pros don't have that.

Visors I can actually see the argument -- it's amazing the difference to vision between visor and no visor. But after taking a stick to the mouth I decided that it wasn't worth it and I've worn a full visor since then.

Very good post ERYX, and yes this is what I meant, and thanks for the great photos illustrating this. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Civilian Helmets" and who would wear them ? Maybe this means in Junior Hockey or something, they wear the type of helmet like you've illustrated, and called it a civilian helmet ? -- or younger players, that are up and coming. Not exactly sure what you mean, by civilian ?

Yes --the black Bauer hockey helmet you've shown with the clear plastic piece protecting the ear, is exactly what I am talking about. They could make it, so your hearing would be just about as good, but most importantly -- protect the ear area. That area is basically soft tissue, with no hard skull to protect it. That's why Little got a brain contusion.

Since they have a helmet -- like you've shown ( upper photo) -- I just cannot imagine why players would not want to wear them. I would think they'd be happy to do this.

Thanks for the great photos ERYX :)

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Very good post ERYX, and yes this is what I meant, and thanks for the great photos illustrating this. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Civilian Helmets" and who would wear them ?

By "civilian helmet" I just meant the helmets that regular people like us can buy at the store, versus whatever the pros have which is clearly different. I don't think I've ever seen a hockey helmet outside of NHL that didn't have those ear coverings.

Since they have a helmet -- like you've shown ( upper photo) -- I just cannot imagine why players would not want to wear them. I would think they'd be happy to do this.

One would think so, but apparently many don't. There are some players who have them but not many.

Reactions: GNP

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think I may be surprised if Bryan plays again.
Obviously he’s a rock steady player and real trooper based on his return from other injuries.
I just cringed when he went down the last time, I’d hate to see him hurt anymore.
Ultimately it’s between him and the club and I’m sure everyone wants the best for his future.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
To say wearing ear guards with their helmets and you can hear almost as good isn't as simple as it sounds. Player fight the NHL on every little safety issue when it comes to equipment.

Unless it's about goalie equipment, then they want more and more to cover the net......I mean for safety!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
To say wearing ear guards with their helmets and you can hear almost as good isn't as simple as it sounds. Player fight the NHL on every little safety issue when it comes to equipment.

Unless it's about goalie equipment, then they want more and more to cover the net......I mean for safety!

I agree totally and yet the NHLPA want to sue for concussion issues.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

The ear guards should be made mandatory, like face shields were.
Just phase them in.
Players will cry, whine, bitch, and complain, but mandatory safety regulations are present in all fields, so if they don’t want to wear them, they can find a new career path.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Little has a bit of fire in him and something to prove. I think he started off last season trying to show management he was a viable 2C and was doing a very good job of it.

He's the consumate team player, always in great shape and very competitive. I remember Maurice saying he has never seen him in his office complaining about anything like almost every other player on the team and was VERY easy to coach. Great for faceoffs, very smart defensively and rarely loses position on his check in his D zone. I was a BIG Trouba fan but loved Little's comments when Trouba was holding out and a reporter asked him a question about Trouba. Something to the effect of let's worry about the guys in the dressing room wearing the Jets uniform.

I think if Little comes back, he's going to silence a lot of his critics.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
If he can play without risking any further health issues, he will play.
He was one of the best players, if not the best, in last year's playoffs and looked really good in the few games he played this season.
Agreed he'll play if he can without risking further health issues.

Laine was also in beast-mode against St. Louis in last year's playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->