Brunt: Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg; stands by story, conflicting reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

sctvman

Well, the Hurricanes already have all of SC except the Charlotte market, sharing it with Atlanta. They have had South Carolina for every year but the first year or two, when the games aired on HTS.

We can get both Hurricanes and Thrashers games, often on the same night. The Hurricanes replays are often shown all over their network (which includes MS, AL, GA, and TN). Predators replays sometimes are shown.

HTS and Fox Sports South carried games in the first couple of years, but SC was shut out.

The Thrashers have been on since the beginning, but their games aired on Turner South, a channel that many cable systems didn't pick up.

Satellite didn't pick it up outside of Braves territory. This hurt the team in its early stages.

Comcast in Charleston didn't even add it until 2004. It was like that throughout the Southeast.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
If, as HNIC just reported, the TNSE needs board approval and a successful ticket drive, I don't see how there is enough time to get this deal done for Sept. Are the goalposts being pushed back to due to an early leak by the G&M?

BoG will be a rubber stamp. TNSE has made inroads with NHL executives based on how they've approached this whole thing.

The only factor that would slow down the season ticket drive is a lack of resources on the TNSE side to handle the traffic. I have no doubt the phone lines will burn up and targets will be reached in a matter of days if the organization is properly prepared to handle the traffic.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hockey is far from new...right.

Two failed products by ownership, and the city is supposed to continue watching a product that the Commisher did not fight for¿ Even though the same thing to many casual hockey fans is happening in PHX¿.

Go check the influx of new kids programs, arenas, everything in Atlanta. What started it¿ The Thrashers. Now that they are gone, it is steps backward. Forget introducing 5.5 million people to a new sport to most of them, Forget the effort to grow hockey there. the NHL is spurning all of that if this move goes through.

Find someone willing to lose ten of millions dollars a year to "grow the game" in Atlanta and you have these situations solved. I imagine numerous hockey mad, benevolent owners will be lining up to buy the Thrashers and keep them in Atlanta. :sarcasm:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Also, now that we finally have the word we've all been waiting for that the Toronto Maple Leafs will not oppose a relocation to Winnipeg, we can all take a deep breath.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'll bet a hell of a lot more people want to live in Winnipeg than want to live in Jersey, the armpit of America.:amazed: Kind of hilarious that a Jersey fan would even think to take a shot like that. I still can't get the stench out of my car after driving down the Jersey Turnpike to Carteret a couple of months ago.:naughty:

One of the richest states in the US. Get off the turnpike/out of Trenton/newark/camden, it can be very nice.

And it pains me to say that.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

Two failed products by ownership, and the city is supposed to continue watching a product that the Commisher did not fight for¿ Even though the same thing to many casual hockey fans is happening in PHX¿.

Go check the influx of new kids programs, arenas, everything in Atlanta. What started it¿ The Thrashers. Now that they are gone, it is steps backward. Forget introducing 5.5 million people to a new sport to most of them, Forget the effort to grow hockey there. the NHL is spurning all of that if this move goes through.

So what should be done about it? Apart from whining of course.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Jersey is just like any other industrial area... there are some very wealthy, gorgeous suburbs. It's called the Garden State for a reason.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008

If the NHL could do something about this they absolutely would, but ASG has screwed them over. There's nothing they can do. No arena to play in = no team.

RandR

May 15, 2011
If, as HNIC just reported, the TNSE needs board approval and a successful ticket drive, I don't see how there is enough time to get this deal done for Sept. Are the goalposts being pushed back to due to an early leak by the G&M?

I haven't read the other 35+ pages of this thread, so pardon if I am repeating anyone....

One thing that may not have been mentioned is that Thomson, the major partner in True Sports, also owns the Globe & Mail. So it makes journalistic sense is to make sure your own paper breaks big news like this before others do.

Brunt was interviewed on CBC radio this morning and clearly said both he and the Globe stand by their story. The Globe is arguably Canada's most reputable newspaper. This was a front page story, because it wasn't just a hockey story, it was a lead national news story. So the Globe must have been certain to go with it.

Brunt did say that people might want to argue about what "done" means. Anyways, the way I look at it is like when you buy a house... when both parties sign on the dotted line there are conditions that all have to be met. But you still tell everyone that you bought a house and you still book the movers even though the closing date is a month or more off and many things could scupper the deal in between. The key thing is that all sides appear to want this deal to happen, so barring unforeseen circumstances it will.

Brunt wasn't asked about hypothetical situations such as where True North doesn't sell over 10,000 season tickets, but they have the infrastructure in place with their arena and existing AHL team to launch a campaign really fast. And they must have been making some of the plans for weeks or months so they probably have already decided on some of the details.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Well yeah. But the Winnipeg fans were watching the NHL anyways. Most casual Atlanta fans won't watch the NHL now. Heck, even some more than casual fans are disenfranchised with the league that they won't watch now.

Only 6,000 - 12,000 households were watching NHL in the state of Georgia (population 10 million) according to TV ratings. So having an NHL team didn't make anyone watch really - hardly a blip on the radar; late night infomercial type ratings. Fact.

GHOST

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I can understand and abide the ignorance of this post, but how is some guy's perspective on lifestyle and personal living experience at all relevant to the BOH? Just wondering...

When you can "prove" that the other 930 posts by random internet posters who were not talking about personal experiences of a city as opposed to just what they read on the internet, as more valuable than all of the other posts, then I might digress that my actual real experience in The Peg is less valuable.

But as long as your talking about people who have been to the Peg and lived there, I think my opinion counts. after all, I spend money on the NHL every year so I think it makes an impact in the BOH.

want to compare who spends more on hockey, me or you and see who's opinion is more valuable to the owners?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
One thing that may not have been mentioned is that Thomson, the major partner in True Sports, also owns the Globe & Mail. So it makes journalistic sense is to make sure your own paper breaks big news like this before others do.

I have actually owned a newspaper and know what its like to (A) sell advertising to gov't and private sector (B) had to pay wages to journalist (C) had to deal with editors

and in no way did it ever make sense to break a news story before others. The same number of people are going to buy your papers every single week and the same number of advertisers are going to place ads with you week in and week out, whether you break the story first, or second on a particular subject.

As someone who was in business in a small town, there was no way, I would give my newspaper a scoop if it meant, it could potentially hurt my other business's relationships. Same thing with the staff I employed, there was no way they were running a story I wanted ran if it wasn't independently checked out. In fact, if I was giving them a story, they wanted more sources to confirm it.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I can understand and abide the ignorance of this post, but how is some guy's perspective on lifestyle and personal living experience at all relevant to the BOH? Just wondering...

I loved his comment about Winnipeg having a lot of crime. It will probably be one of the safest NHL cities given the crime rate disparity between Canadian and (many) American cities. Oh well, don't let facts get in the way. In addition, the crime is concentrated in a very specific area and is easily avoided.

GHOST

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Only 6,000 - 12,000 households were watching NHL in the state of Georgia (population 10 million) according to TV ratings. So having an NHL team didn't make anyone watch really - hardly a blip on the radar; late night infomercial type ratings. Fact.

GHOST

:help:That many people could have accidently had the hockey game on.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
yup...4th coldest city on earth....and proud of it....

there is much more to life, my friend than weather....all you have to do is be a well run franchise and players will play here.....its possible that some UFA's will not want to come to winnipeg....just as they might not to any small market.....luckily building a team through free agency has proven to be the less successful model.

if we look at the list of players who played for the winnipeg/phoenix franchise over the last 30 years.....almost all of the top name players played for the jets....almost all of the record holders, all of the retired numbers and all of the hall of fame members were jets.

clearly weather has meant little on the calibre of player for that franchise.

compare the crime rates in winnipeg to even the safest american city....you will be surprised what you find.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When you can "prove" that the other 930 posts by random internet posters who were not talking about personal experiences of a city as opposed to just what they read on the internet, as more valuable than all of the other posts, then I might digress that my actual real experience in The Peg is less valuable.

But as long as your talking about people who have been to the Peg and lived there, I think my opinion counts. after all, I spend money on the NHL every year so I think it makes an impact in the BOH.

want to compare who spends more on hockey, me or you and see who's opinion is more valuable to the owners?

It doesn't seem that you are in a position to make spending decisions on the NHL in Winnipeg, so it doesn't really matter what you think of the place. I am pretty sure that I have and will spend more money on the NHL in Winnipeg than you. If you choose to spend less money on the NHL because Winnipeg gets a team, so be it. I think you will be an exception among those who are not in Winnipeg.

On other points, unless you are a professional hockey player, your opinion about the place is not very relevant on that issue. I personally know of high profile hockey players (and other professional athletes), who were very happy to settle in Winnipeg, found wives there, and still retain deep ties to the city. Some might not want to live in Wpg, but in a way that defines the player more than the place. I just read an article about a young Turkish basketball player who doesn't want to play in Toronto. Remember Chris Bosh... So, some players don't want to play there. It doesn't mean it is a non-viable location for an NBA team.

Your comment about being worried about crime in Winnipeg is laughable. I have experience living in the US, most recently in Washington DC. 'Nuff said.

Dado

yup...4th coldest city on earth....and proud of it....

If it's something that can't be changed, treat it as a feature, not a bug. Hockey where hockey was meant to be played. The Purple People Eaters of the NHL. With good management and the adoration of a city, I don't see it as much of a negative at all.

Only real question is where your first Heritage Classic will be played. :)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

GHOST

You can thank 10 miserable years and one of the worst ownerships in sports for that low number. ASG wanted to sabotage hockey in Atlanta, and they did...

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Only real question is where your first Heritage Classic will be played. :)

i hope they clear off a patch of the red river and play on real six foot thick ice.....put stands up along the banks of the river.

now that would be a classic....forget the stadium thing....go all the way to hockey's roots....you cant do that in many places.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
a point can be made that the pro-peg movement is counting their chickens before they are hatched

I was listening to one sports radio station and they had a guy on who was openly suggesting that Brunt ran with the story now to try and scuttle a deal that was in process of getting made and that when brunt broke the story the bank that was involved walked away

I think we will hear at some point in time that the peg group--tired of waiting decided to try to speed things up

the question will be ---if the peg group has done some dirty tactics--would nhl teams make it easy for them to get the team still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad