Brunt: Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg; stands by story, conflicting reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
two steps forward with expanding.
3 steps back going to winnipeg again.
14,000 new hockey fans + TV numbers
vs
15000 people who already watch hockey on tv and know it exists

Um no?

Hockey is far from new in Atlanta. They are well aware what it is. In fact, if we are to listen to the ATL fans on this board, the franchise failed due to ownership, not to fan support.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
You guys should join the rest of the world. It would personally save me lots of money when I buy tools so that I don't need to buy a metric and an imperial version of it.

metric sucks dude.

what's more impressive to you: A guy who is 6'4" feet tall or someone who is 2.10160 meters tall.

I rest my case....

dobiezeke*

I don't see this working out any better than it did the first time. But it was either this or fold the team and the league certainly doesn't want that.

Then again, I always thought the NHL were crazy to try Atlanta again. But I suppose the market was too enticing.

You better get ahold of TNSE and let them know this deal will eventually fail. Clearly they do not have the appropriate business team to see that they are destined to crash and burn...

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Um no?

Hockey is far from new in Atlanta. They are well aware what it is. In fact, if we are to listen to the ATL fans on this board, the franchise failed due to ownership, not to fan support.

But is a market like Atlanta likely to show many NHL games now that they don't have a team?

Steve Passless*

Well, obviously the local RSN shan't be showing hockey anymore. I see no reason why they wouldn't get national coverage.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What do you mean? They will get just as many games on TV as any other market that does not have a home team.

Well yeah. But the Winnipeg fans were watching the NHL anyways. Most casual Atlanta fans won't watch the NHL now. Heck, even some more than casual fans are disenfranchised with the league that they won't watch now.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Well yeah. But the Winnipeg fans were watching the NHL anyways. Most casual Atlanta fans won't watch the NHL now. Heck, even some more than casual fans are disenfranchised with the league that they won't watch now.

Maybe. Since the Thrashers weren't usually carried on the national feeds, I don't know if it will have a tremendous effect on those ratings.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
But is a market like Atlanta likely to show many NHL games now that they don't have a team?

They show what they carry. Everyone home here has NBC. Most of them have versus.

They will show NHL games, the question is whether the market will continue to watch- and the answer, is no. Aside from the diehards, snowbirds that are watching their own teams, and people flipping through channels, NHL TV ratings here are going to hit rock bottom. There's no incentive to watch it, especially with the emergence of streaming & torrents & video on demand aswell.

Plus, there probabbly won't be many homes tuning in to watch the Manitoba Moose vs the Buffalo Sabres wednesday night on Hockey Night in Canada down here. :sarcasm:

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON

Many more WPG fans will watch Hockey now. To say that all of them are already watching Hockey is silly, people want their own team. Not to mention, look where Winnipeg is located, do you think they watch every Flames or Oilers game? No, getting their own team will change everything (not to mention gate tickets being sold)

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I think a lot more manitobans will watch more nhl now that it ia back. That will probably make up for any lost atlanta viewers. I know ive watched less nhl then i use to but will definetly watch more now

Koss

If, as HNIC just reported, the TNSE needs board approval and a successful ticket drive, I don't see how there is enough time to get this deal done for Sept. Are the goalposts being pushed back to due to an early leak by the G&M?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Does anyone really want to live in Winnipeg?

Only about 750,000 people and growing.

Seriously, enough of the city bashing. I have been fortunate enough to have visited and spend time in a lot of cities in North America, and without question, every one of them has good things and bad things about them.

If you aren't just trying to bait and are actually wondering about if the players will want to live in Winnipeg, just ask the players that have lived here in the past. Most players can find positive things about any city they play in.

One thing about smaller NHL cities like Winnipeg, is other than the taxes which are higher than the US, it is very economical to live here. Take an average player making $2M in Winnipeg compared to a player making $2M in Toronto. Who ends up ahead? Get a good tax man working for you, and given the cost of living, your $2M will go farther in Winnipeg.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
metric sucks dude.

what's more impressive to you: A guy who is 6'4" feet tall or someone who is 2.10160 meters tall.

I rest my case....

um, neither impress me?

Many more WPG fans will watch Hockey now. To say that all of them are already watching Hockey is silly, people want their own team. Not to mention, look where Winnipeg is located, do you think they watch every Flames or Oilers game? No, getting their own team will change everything (not to mention gate tickets being sold)

I was going to say the same thing. NHL viewership really dropped off after the Jets left. Wouldn't be surprised if the NFL was even with the NHL in Winnipeg.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
If, as HNIC just reported, the TNSE needs board approval and a successful ticket drive, I don't see how there is enough time to get this deal done for Sept. Are the goalposts being pushed back to due to an early leak by the G&M?

Not sure what you see as the issue?

A ticket drive could probably be done within a week.

Marek also said on HNIC that the Moose would become the AHL affiliate of the new Winnipeg NHL team, leaving the Canucks searching for a new affiliate.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Atlanta actually shares the same Fox affiliate that airs Thrashers games with the Predators and Hurricanes, presumably they would split the Thrashers current market somehow if it came to that.

I could only wish. In the season before the Thrashers started, I think we only got a few of the Preds games from FSN South here. Most of the time we got "alternate programming." I remember having the TV schedule from Hockey News and looking forward to Hurricanes and Predators games. Got zero Canes games.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They show what they carry. Everyone home here has NBC. Most of them have versus.

They will show NHL games, the question is whether the market will continue to watch- and the answer, is no. Aside from the diehards, snowbirds that are watching their own teams, and people flipping through channels, NHL TV ratings here are going to hit rock bottom. There's no incentive to watch it, especially with the emergence of streaming & torrents & video on demand aswell.

Plus, there probabbly won't be many homes tuning in to watch the Manitoba Moose vs the Buffalo Sabres wednesday night on Hockey Night in Canada down here. :sarcasm:

Not to be too harsh here but there's not much of a way down from where they have been the last few years. Thrashers local ratings have been hovering around 0.2-0.3 for years. Only the Panthers have had a poorer track record ratings-wise.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Not sure what you see as the issue?

A ticket drive could probably be done within a week.

Marek also said on HNIC that the Moose would become the AHL affiliate of the new Winnipeg NHL team, leaving the Canucks searching for a new affiliate.

So, they'll probably end up with the Chicago Wolves for now.

William Satterwhite

May 5, 2011
Douglasville, GA
I could only wish. In the season before the Thrashers started, I think we only got a few of the Preds games from FSN South here. Most of the time we got "alternate programming." I remember having the TV schedule from Hockey News and looking forward to Hurricanes and Predators games. Got zero Canes games.

I'm not sure, if the team actually left I would think they would try to ensure that at least one of those other regional teams could pick up whatever extra viewership they could. Remember, when the Preds and Hurricanes came in the league, it was known that the Thrashers were only a year away themselves so that could have played a role in those blackouts.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
two steps forward with expanding.
3 steps back going to winnipeg again.
14,000 new hockey fans + TV numbers
vs
15000 people who already watch hockey on tv and know it exists

except as others have pointed out, the number of total fans of NHL in North America has just dropped by the size of the atlanta market basically.

whereas peggers have been watching hockey for the past 10 years even without a team.

Only about 750,000 people and growing.

Seriously, enough of the city bashing. I have been fortunate enough to have visited and spend time in a lot of cities in North America, and without question, every one of them has good things and bad things about them.

One thing about smaller NHL cities like Winnipeg, is other than the taxes which are higher than the US, it is very economical to live here. Take an average player making $2M in Winnipeg compared to a player making $2M in Toronto. Who ends up ahead? Get a good tax man working for you, and given the cost of living, your $2M will go farther in Winnipeg.

Players don't give a **** about taxes, its about lifestyle. Having $20m in the bank means nothing if you got nothing to spend it on. winnipeg will have a hard time attracting UFA talent.

why because the team sucks, the prospect pool is pretty dimm and you add the fact that it gets minus 54 F in the winters, means a lot of people don't want to put up with that kind of extreme.

AugustBurnsRed*

The winter's are so over exaggerated. I don't even think twice about it... besides the summers are very nice.

Ashe

Nov 27, 2007
Saskatoon SK
Um no?

Hockey is far from new...right.

Two failed products by ownership, and the city is supposed to continue watching a product that the Commisher did not fight for¿ Even though the same thing to many casual hockey fans is happening in PHX¿.

Go check the influx of new kids programs, arenas, everything in Atlanta. What started it¿ The Thrashers. Now that they are gone, it is steps backward. Forget introducing 5.5 million people to a new sport to most of them, Forget the effort to grow hockey there. the NHL is spurning all of that if this move goes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad