Brunt: Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg; stands by story, conflicting reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I have actually owned a newspaper and know what its like to (A) sell advertising to gov't and private sector (B) had to pay wages to journalist (C) had to deal with editors

and in no way did it ever make sense to break a news story before others. The same number of people are going to buy your papers every single week and the same number of advertisers are going to place ads with you week in and week out, whether you break the story first, or second on a particular subject.

As someone who was in business in a small town, there was no way, I would give my newspaper a scoop if it meant, it could potentially hurt my other business's relationships. Same thing with the staff I employed, there was no way they were running a story I wanted ran if it wasn't independently checked out. In fact, if I was giving them a story, they wanted more sources to confirm it.
I highly doubt that the Sports section on the Globe website didn't get more hits the past day or so because Brunt broke this story instead of somebody else's sports reporter. Brunt's name was trending bigtime on the web too.

For a few hours and well into today, most of the stories I saw on TV, print and radio mentioned both Brunt and the Globe. I went to the Globe site, read Brunt's story, and proceeding to click on a few of their related stories. If a Toronto Star reporter had broken that story, they would have gotten my eyeballs instead. I am sure there were many, many others who did the same. It was a good day for the Globe Sports department.

(Provided of course that the story holds water.)

RandR

May 15, 2011
Can't see Brunt risking his career to scuttle deal.
Agreed. I also can't see the Globe risking such longstanding credibility with a front page story in an attempt to help ensure that True North completes the deal.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the comments about why someone who has interest in the team getting moved breaking the story is easily answered

If it is true that there were Atlanta based bids in the pipe and that they could do what happened in Phoenix and delay peg getting a team--it is in the organization benifit to leak a story

I am not saying it was done for that reason

But I think it is possible that Brunt was leaked to the story to speed things up and scare off other bids that could delay the peg getting a team. And I do not think it is that far fetched.

At some point in time the peg guys would/could get frustrated about the whole process and start trying to get sneaking like Ballsarie tried when he wanted to buy phoenix and move em.

I think this story is far from being played out and when the dusts settles the peg guys will not come out smelling like roses if what some people suspect are true about the timing of the report

It is very un bettman like some of the stuff they are saying is a "done" deal--this is to add pressure to the the situation

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I highly doubt that the Sports section on the Globe website didn't get more hits the past day or so because Brunt broke this story instead of somebody else's sports reporter. Brunt's name was trending bigtime on the web too.
)

If you were Mr Thompson, would you risk a $170m investment of a hockey team on top of a probably $200m investment on an arena (MTS) for more hits on a website than translate to a couple thousand dollars in ads?

Do you not know that print media has taken a beating and are no longer moguls because there is no money in online media? Even print media is a dying beast.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Agreed. I also can't see the Globe risking such longstanding credibility with a front page story in an attempt to help ensure that True North completes the deal.

Actually I can

If they have the story correct from the true north perspective

but I think they got the story they wanted to report and ran with it

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
ASG = Atlanta Spirit Group.

How was I supposed to know? :laugh:

But seriously, I do feel bad for Atlanta fans. I've never thought bad of Atlanta ever. I guess they just want to keep basketball, baseball and football in their city. No room for something more entertaining.

RandR

May 15, 2011
If you were Mr Thompson, would you risk a $170m investment of a hockey team on top of a probably $200m investment on an arena (MTS) for more hits on a website than translate to a couple thousand dollars in ads?

Do you not know that print media has taken a beating and are no longer moguls because there is no money in online media? Even print media is a dying beast.
And what if Mr Thomson doesn't think he is taking a risk, because as far as he is concerned it is a "done deal"?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
And what if Mr Thomson doesn't think he is taking a risk, because as far as he is concerned it is a "done deal"?

If it was truly a "done deal" at that point, then why wouldn't the NHL BoG given him the opportunity to break the story first?

RandR

May 15, 2011
If it was truly a "done deal" at that point, then why wouldn't the NHL BoG given him the opportunity to break the story first?
There are many possible reasons. Off the top of my head, the first few that come to mind are:
Perhaps Thomson considers it a done deal because he knows how much he paying, but the NHL doesn't because they are still negotiating their take in it.
With the omnipresence of tweeting and texting, you can't control everyone and their brother.
Bettman is a control freak.
Egos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad