Confirmed with Link: Brunner hits the open market, signs with Devils

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kinda funny I think Ryder is a player he closely emulates. What a coincidence they might be on the same team.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You're assuming Brunner is an ideal client and isn't nixing ideas that the agent is putting forth. Who knows perhaps Brunner only wants what he wants or is content to go home. I find it odd he wouldn't of been signed somewhere otherwise. The guy could be a huge diva for all we know.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I totally thought Bruner was going to re-sign for cheap, and it wouldn't be an issue at all. Thought he would be grateful for the fact we took a chance on him, and put him in a position to succeed starting him out in the top 6 from day 1.

Really was shocked he went for the money.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'd love to see Brunner play one year in New Jersey and then possibly sign back here next summer when the cap goes up and some of the dead weight falls off the roster. Dude can play, they just couldn't make it work this summer. If they had the room, 3 years at 3 mil is totally reasonable for a player with his skills.

RedWingsNow*

I totally thought Bruner was going to re-sign for cheap, and it wouldn't be an issue at all. Thought he would be grateful for the fact we took a chance on him, and put him in a position to succeed starting him out in the top 6 from day 1.

Really was shocked he went for the money.

I don;t think he went for the money.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The playing time/opportunity card is also rather weak. It's true that he was stuffed on the 3rd line for the latter stages of the season, but he was often being utilized on PPs with our best players. About half of his points must've been with Zetterberg without looking it up.

Still, I wish we signed Brunner and let go of Miller and Cleary.

crashman

It would have been fine if Brunner stole minutes or a roster spot from Tatar or Nyquist, but not that Dan Cleary. :rolleyes:

I really don't understand how people can still be talking about this guy if you've watched Tatar or Nyquist play recently. They are both younger, CURRENTLY more talented, have higher ceilings, more complete players, and are MUCH cheaper.

Brunner is old news, he was a 1 year fill-in that worked out nicely. Watch him get eaten alive in a 82 game NHL season. I don't throw this term/stereotype around very often, but he's just too soft and accustomed to European hockey to be a factor in the NHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
interesting article (in german) with the first interview about leaving Detroit:
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/hockey/Tanz-mit-dem-Teufel/story/27180472

he clearly says that he was very aware that he couldn't ask for much after a short season, but he just wanted a team were he could get some responsibility

Hmm, 15:35 at regular season and 13:06 at playoffs. 4th most of forwards Ice-Time on the PP.

I have a strong feeling that he won't get more responsibility from anywhere else... :(

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Hmm, 15:35 at regular season and 13:06 at playoffs. 4th most of forwards Ice-Time on the PP.

I have a strong feeling that he won't get more responsibility from anywhere else... :(

Yeah, no offense to Brunner but when you enter the league as an undrafted 26 year old and got half a season under your belt, you're not in a position to make significant demands. Anything more than the role he had last season, I think, is a significant demand. It doesn't make things better for him when proven, still young guys like Raymond can be had through tryouts this summer. And this doesn't even take into account any possible cash demands.

Having options is usually a great thing, but it might have been bad for Brunner. A two year ELC(I know it had to be one year only), making those $1.35M or whatever would've helped him to settle into the league without having to worry about contracts after merely 40-ish NHL games.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012

Problem is, he knew via zetterberg that Alfreddson (right-handed and much better on the point in PP) was coming. That was probably the thing that made him understand that he probably would have had even less ice time this season than the last one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Problem is, he knew via zetterberg that Alfreddson (right-handed and much better on the point in PP) was coming. That was probably the thing that made him understand that he probably would have had even less ice time this season than the last one.

Yeah, but there's no other team that would give him 1st PP time in NHL. That's pretty obvious atm when nobody has not signed him. Maybe he thought he could get that role.

He could have been great contributor at Wings 2nd unit. He isn't gonna get more than 2nd unit role from anywhere else.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

But if he would have signed, it would have likely forced Cleary out of the lineup, and even (possibly) Miller. Brunner could have pushed for PK time, more ES time...he could have played for more time. And if he got 16 minutes a night, I think that would have been pretty close to what he'll get darn near anywhere this year.

I understand his wanting to move on, but if he wasn't looking for big money, I think he would have had a good opportunity here with his right handed shot, speed, and Babcock appearing to like him.

RedWingsNow*

Once Alfredsson signed -- there was no chance Brunner was coming back.
At that point, the Wings had too many players and they were over the cap. They had to stretch to bring Cleary back -- and CLeary took a pay cut and a one year deal to make it happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad