Confirmed with Link: Brunner hits the open market, signs with Devils

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So he took the same deal that was reported Holland did offer for him before free agency.

Either he realized that he was never getting another offer

or

He was not lying when he said it was about responsibility and "fit" like he said at the beginning of the season and NJ promised him a shot at an expanded role.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Everyone keeps talking about the Devils bouncing back and as a team flying under the radar, I just think they are going to be horrible. I don't see it, best of luck to Brunner, he is now hands down the fastest player on the Devils. That team is going to be dead slow.

RedWingsNow*

Everyone keeps talking about the Devils bouncing back and as a team flying under the radar, I just think they are going to be horrible. I don't see it, best of luck to Brunner, he is now hands down the fastest player on the Devils. That team is going to be dead slow.

With good coaching they can sneak into the playoffs maybe. But I agree. Especially if Elias finally slows down.

That defense --- wow. Pretty meh.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

I agree. A bunch of people are going to have to stand on their heads if NJ has a shot at anything this year.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Seeing that Brunner only got 0.8 more than Danny Cleary makes me want to throw my laptop on the group and smash my head in the wall. This is a great deal for NJ, Brunner really fits in well there. I'm pretty confident Tatar will be able to replace Brunner's offense though.

In the end, I'm happy to see him stay in the NHL, and wish him the best with NJ.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To be fair that's the same defense (minus Tallinder) that got the Devils to the cup finals a year ago.

I don't think that run was much different than the Oilers run in 06, or Calgary's run in 04. The Devils and the Wings have been royalty for a while and it is well earned. But for the people upset about the direction of the Wings on our board, the Devils have some serious problems and they don't have the answers in terms of the minors coming that the Wings do. Some young D-man yes, we will see how that goes. I like give them the benefit of the doubt, much like I hate people that predict every year this is the year that the Wings fall off the Cliff. But the Cup run is in between two pretty miserable seasons, both have the common denominator of no Parise and some of the elements that make me question this team. They go on long cold and hot runs, I am not sure Schneider or Brodeur can stop those, especially if they are just getting beat up with pure speed for a while.

That Clowe contract is the worst contract Lou has ever given out, Zajac's contract was also pretty awful.

Like the Schneider move but I just think it is going to get bumpy for a second in New Jersey here. Not giving up that pick and some of the things that have happened are just going to add a lot weight on their shoulders. We will see what happens but they are in a precarious position entering this season.

Need Ryder to pull one of his big seasons for them and Elias to keep father time away completely with no regression.

RedWingsNow*

People can spin all they want -- but
Alfredsson replaced Brunner
Weiss replaced Flip

Once we signed Alfie -- Brunner was done. It wouldn't have mattered if he was only asking $1M a year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Weiss replaced Flip

Once we signed Alfie -- Brunner was done. It wouldn't have mattered if he was only asking $1M a year.

Also they were never ever going to carry three of Tatar, Nyquist and Brunner at the same time while icing all of them with Babcock coaching.

RedWingsNow*

Also they were never ever going to carry three of Tatar, Nyquist and Brunner at the same time while icing all of them with Babcock coaching.

I'm not so sure about that.
I believe Brunner was coming back here if Alfie stayed in ottawa.

Just doe everything the same and put Brunner in for Alfie

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
To be fair that's the same defense (minus Tallinder) that got the Devils to the cup finals a year ago.

That defense surrendered the least amount of shots in the NHL last season.

Devils are going to surprise a lot of people. Their goaltending was simply awful last season, and so adding Schneider will help there a lot.

They're a good puck possession team who will be top five in GA. The question is how good their re-tooled offense will be.

Anyway, can wings fans opine on what to expect with Damien?

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Either he realized that he was never getting another offer

or

He was not lying when he said it was about responsibility and "fit" like he said at the beginning of the season and NJ promised him a shot at an expanded role.

Or he didn't like the way Babcock handled him and didn't really want to sign here regardless.

RedWingsNow*

Cleary replaced Cleary?

Yep.
Looking at last year's playoff lineup
Basically, Tatar is coming in for Miller and Sammy for Eaves.
Then players shift around.

That's what it looks like right now.

RedWingsNow*

Devils are going to surprise a lot of people. Their goaltending was simply awful last season, and so adding Schneider will help there a lot.

They're a good puck possession team who will be top five in GA. The question is how good their re-tooled offense will be.

Good speed. Nice hands. Nice moves. Nice shot.
He could score 25-30 goals for you if you use him right.
Don't expect much success in the corners.
But IMO, while he makes his mistakes, he hustles back and plays defense and should only get better.

I'd take Brunner at 2 years $5M over Alfredsson at 1 year $5.5M any day of the week.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Yes but they give up a ton of grade A scoring chances, it is the shots they do allow.

Brunner is a speedy winger with a good shot and pretty good hands. Has a tendency to be a little predictable, best when counter punching. Should be better on the half wall rather than the point on the PP which should help.

An offensive player with good speed and solid instincts but at times struggles with the NHL caliber D-man's ability to close time and space. Will be curious to see how it works out, the more open eastern conference should help him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, many people are underestimateing the Devils.

Jagr + Ryder + Brunner gives lots of firepower to replace Kovalchuk.

The goaltending upgrade was great and defence is solid as always.

Loktionov has some nice playmaking potential.

Great-coached, great defensive+goaltended deep system team pretty much guarantees winning hockey.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Yes but they give up a ton of grade A scoring chances, it is the shots they do allow.

Brunner is a speedy winger with a good shot and pretty good hands. Has a tendency to be a little predictable, best when counter punching. Should be better on the half wall rather than the point on the PP which should help.

An offensive player with good speed and solid instincts but at times struggles with the NHL caliber D-man's ability to close time and space. Will be curious to see how it works out, the more open eastern conference should help him.

Do they? I watched every Devils game last season and what I saw was a team with terrible goaltending, not one that somehow gives up tons of great scoring chances while giving up the least amount of shots in the NHL.

Sounds like Brunner will pair well with Elias.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Do they? I watched every Devils game last season and what I saw was a team with terrible goaltending, not one that somehow gives up tons of great scoring chances while giving up the least amount of shots in the NHL.

Sounds like Brunner will pair well with Elias.

Well for me that was what I thought when tuning into the Devils. No their goaltending wasn't great especially during that long losing streak, but I felt like the shots they did give up were high quality shots.

I think some of this is foot-speed, their coverage just breaks down at times. You can hope Schneider bails you out more, but honestly that hasn't been either Luongo's or Schneider's strong suit in Vancouver. Very good rebound control and exceptional at playing angles, but when you hang them out problems ensue.

We will see, I think a lot of DeBour as a coach, but I think there will be some problems with this group at least how I see them fitting together. I would expect the Red Wings plan will be to transition that team to death more than likely.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im happy he found a home. NJ Defense imo prospect wise is best or second best in NHL right now behind buffalo detroit is third so dont knock so fast. Now they are gonna have a lot of very weak forwards non two way players so these kids better grow up fast and their d now better continue to play well.

I wouldnt knock them at all though they should play solid d just five on five they should have issues with a lot of scoring teams because of how slow the forwards are. Yet goaltending could save them a lot.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Weiss replaced Flip

Would rather have a bird in hand than two in the bush, regardless.

MJB Devils23*

Speed helps in certain situations, but you don't need a lot of speed to win the cup. A lot of people are picking the Devils to be bad this year, so personally I can't blame anyone for following suit.

With good coaching they can sneak into the playoffs maybe. But I agree. Especially if Elias finally slows down.

That defense --- wow. Pretty meh.

Believe it or not, the Devils defense is top 10 in the league, maybe even higher. The defense will hinge on Larsson, but even if he's not ready to break out this year, it'll still be a solid defense. Greene, Fayne, and Larsson can all hold their own. Greene and Fayne are two of the most underrated d-men in the league.

Didn't you guys go through this last year when Lidstrom retired? Everybody predicted your downfall. And look what happened. You were one win away from going to the WCF.

I agree. A bunch of people are going to have to stand on their heads if NJ has a shot at anything this year.

If everybody plays to their capabilities, they'll be dangerous team. We actually don't need any player to overachieve. Last year, a lot of players had down years or they were injured. They still dominated puck possession, and were extremely unlucky when it comes to putting pucks in the net.

Well this is actually a myth in that they weren't really giving up more high quality scoring chances than the rest of the league. The Devils were easily getting many more high quality chances themselves than they were actually giving up.

Yeah, many people are underestimateing the Devils.

Jagr + Ryder + Brunner gives lots of firepower to replace Kovalchuk.

The goaltending upgrade was great and defence is solid as always.

Loktionov has some nice playmaking potential.

Great-coached, great defensive+goaltended deep system team pretty much guarantees winning hockey.

Yea that's pretty much it. I think we're comparable to Montreal. They have a deep group of forwards without any real superstar. And they have a good defense. The Devils don't have a superstar like Subban, but Larsson is capable of being that guy. We'll have to see if he does.

Well for me that was what I thought when tuning into the Devils. No their goaltending wasn't great especially during that long losing streak, but I felt like the shots they did give up were high quality shots.

I think some of this is foot-speed, their coverage just breaks down at times. You can hope Schneider bails you out more, but honestly that hasn't been either Luongo's or Schneider's strong suit in Vancouver. Very good rebound control and exceptional at playing angles, but when you hang them out problems ensue.

We will see, I think a lot of DeBour as a coach, but I think there will be some problems with this group at least how I see them fitting together. I would expect the Red Wings plan will be to transition that team to death more than likely.

The biggest question marks with the Devils is really whether or not Zajac and Henrique perform. They need to be better than they were last year. If they're not, then the Devils will be in trouble. I think those are the only two guys who we can't make up for if they're bad or injured. We can absorb bad seasons from Clowe, Ryder, and some other guys. But Zajac and Henrique we cannot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad