Post-Game Talk: Bruins win 2-1 in shootout win

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Just read through last night's GDT. Never again. I will not return during close games, too negative.

why do people always say this? It's the heat of the moment, what do you expect? I say "What happens in the GDT stays in the GDT".

Let he who has never thrown their remote at the tv in disgust be the first to cast a stone.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Just read through last night's GDT. Never again. I will not return during close games, too negative.

Everybody SUX!!! /Gamethread

:laugh:

This game was special to me because it demonstrated what makes this team special: belief in each other and the determination not to give up, despite some ready-made excuses. Perhaps Bruins fans should take a little hint from their team.

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
Guy must have sat there for 20 minutes (ALONE.) with a cold sausage to pull that stunt since concessions had been closed for a while.

I'm sure he's a real pro on having a cold sausage.

SupremefartMachine

Oct 2, 2010
Vermont
why do people always say this? It's the heat of the moment, what do you expect? I say "What happens in the GDT stays in the GDT".

Let he who has never thrown their remote at the tv in disgust be the first to cast a stone.

I'm not trying to crap on people for being for having an emotional response to the game. It was a close defensive battle with some Bruins not having their best game, while others did have a good game. From what I read, you would have thought the Bruins were 0-5 and getting blown out again, that's all.

LucicIsABeast

Dec 7, 2008
Lville IL
Thought it was Hamilton's worse game to date. Not that he played bad or getting on his case, just evaluating.

He had more defensive errors in this game than all the other ones combined in my opinion.

Still looks like a stud, and he is still learing/growing so not concerned... just saying.

I thought that while sometimes he would miss with body contact, he used his long reach to poke check the puck away to give a little more time for the defense to get settled in. And I think I saw this happening at least 3 or 4 times.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
Kelly I think needs somebody who can make him better and Bourque doesn't seem to be that player. Kelly had a great season last year because he spent a lot of time playing next to Seguin.

My biggest 'issue' (for lack of a better word) about singling out Bourque for the criticism for the 3rd line is that he's the one that I have the lowest expectations for - people often say that Kelly & Peverley would arguably be 2nd liners on some other teams, yet they're the ones that are getting a pass because Bourque (who was, IMHO, brought in to be the 13th forward, and only is playing as much as he is now because everyone that was supposed to step-up took a step-back instead) isn't "making them better".

They should be helping make their linemate better, not counting on him to make them better. Kelly & Peverley are $3m players ... it's time to expect them to play that way rather than excuse their poor play because of who they're skating with.

And in general, the whole Bourque thing is eerily reminiscent of last year & Pouliot. "He's holding them down" ... I just have a hard time blaming the other winger for when Kelly gives the puck away or whiffs on a shot.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Does Caron make the third line better though? MacD even? Bourque is doing what he can. He's trying. Kelly and Pev aren't playing like they normally would either. I think most the hate on him is unwarrented.

I agree with all of this, especially questioning if Caron makes the 3rd any better. I don't think Bourque has done anything to warrant the hates he's getting. He's responsible in the defensive end, and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He likely never going to move higher than the 3rd line, even on other teams, but it's not like he's doing stuff to hurt the team. Once Kelly gets back up to game speed (I REALLY think he's feeling the effects of not playing during the lockout), I think the whole third line will be performing better.

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
My biggest 'issue' (for lack of a better word) about singling out Bourque for the criticism for the 3rd line is that he's the one that I have the lowest expectations for - people often say that Kelly & Peverley would arguably be 2nd liners on some other teams, yet they're the ones that are getting a pass because Bourque (who was, IMHO, brought in to be the 13th forward, and only is playing as much as he is now because everyone that was supposed to step-up took a step-back instead) isn't "making them better"..

Peverly has looked good in spite of not getting the puck in the net. Kelly has looked bad in all areas except the PK. Bourque has done nothing positive so far, yet he's been rewarded with repeated PP time and now a shootout opportunity (I hope only because it was his BDay).

We know Kelly can get it done. And historically, Bourque has not been an impact player.

If a change is going to be made to improve the team, Bourque's is the logical starting point.

I'd argue that Bourque is our 11th best all-around forward (even though I love Thornton) and probably 10th best offensive forward. So why does he rate PP time? Or a shootout opp?

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
He had more defensive errors in this game than all the other ones combined in my opinion.

I will take those defensive errors from Dougie on the second game of a back to back any day over Kaberle or Corvo.

I still figure Dougie is due for some growing pains, but I am starting to think his growing pains may still leave him a pretty darn good defenseman.

They should be helping make their linemate better, not counting on him to make them better. Kelly & Peverley are $3m players ... it's time to expect them to play that way rather than excuse their poor play because of who they're skating with.

But the reality is they aren't making him better and they are both key parts of the PK (Kelly is sucking 5 on 5 but his PK especially in the 5 on 3's when Bergeron was in the box or needed rest have been stellar).

Kelly and Pev aren't going anywhere. The line is struggling and doesn't seem to be improving-there is one part they can tweak and fiddle with and that is Bourque.

I still think what the line needs is somebody with more size who can master the board work and Bourque isn't getting that done.

But right now it is at the point where the 3rd line isn't good defensively or offensively-it needs fixing and Kelly and Peverly even if part of the problem aren't going to go anywhere.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I'd argue that Bourque is our 11th best all-around forward (even though I love Thornton) and probably 10th best offensive forward.

I agree. And Thornton IMO has had some major brain farts in several games. He is a role player though and there is no way he is going to show up on a PP (unless it is in a blow out win where he has the chance at a hattie).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My biggest 'issue' (for lack of a better word) about singling out Bourque for the criticism for the 3rd line is that he's the one that I have the lowest expectations for - people often say that Kelly & Peverley would arguably be 2nd liners on some other teams, yet they're the ones that are getting a pass because Bourque (who was, IMHO, brought in to be the 13th forward, and only is playing as much as he is now because everyone that was supposed to step-up took a step-back instead) isn't "making them better".

And in general, the whole Bourque thing is eerily reminiscent of last year & Pouliot. "He's holding them down" ... I just have a hard time blaming the other winger for when Kelly gives the puck away or whiffs on a shot.

This is exactly right. Peverley and Kelly have been terrible. They look slow, turn over the puck in bad situations, are losing the battles for the puck, can't even stay onside, and have played like they're still in preseason mode. Blaming a bottom feeder like Bourque for that line's terrible play is at best misguided. Could they upgrade that spot? Sure. Would it make a difference? Not if Pevs and Kelly are going to come out and play like they have been.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I agree with all of this, especially questioning if Caron makes the 3rd any better. I don't think Bourque has done anything to warrant the hates he's getting. He's responsible in the defensive end, and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He likely never going to move higher than the 3rd line, even on other teams, but it's not like he's doing stuff to hurt the team. Once Kelly gets back up to game speed (I REALLY think he's feeling the effects of not playing during the lockout), I think the whole third line will be performing better.

Didn't he play over in Europe in a B league? Thinking Germany or Swiss B?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Team is winning, and thats all that matters. But still disapointed so far with Seguin. Love his shootout goals, but he missed on a gimmie in OT. Don't see any improvement from last year and he keeps giving away the puck. Maybe my expectations were too lofty.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Yes, Kelly was in Switzerland I believe.

But then I have started to decide playing in Europe may have been good for conditioning, but I think the larger ice surface has screwed around with how the players are playing the game. Seems like the board work sucks for almost every player who went to Europe (not sure if this is the case for other teams whose players went).

Seguin's boardwork was never good, but I think it is worse. Kelly used to be better, but he seems worse.

Krejci doesn't seem to have suffered much, but then I think he is usually more dependent on Lucic and Horton for the boardwork (and Lucic and Horton didn't go to Europe and to date that line has been the best and most successful).

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Didn't he play over in Europe in a B league? Thinking Germany or Swiss B?

I looked on HockeyDB, because I couldn't remember him playing, and they didn't have anything listed for him.

Edit: my bad. a deeper google search tells me that he played for Switzerland's HC Red Ice, in National League B. Guess that blows my theory out of the water.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Were you equally disappointed (or moreso) with Bergy's? I thought Bergy's was easily the worst of the six from the Bruins?

He does the same "move" every time. When it works it looks really smart and almost too easy. When it fails it looks lazy and like he is just firing it into the pads. I guess he plays the option by skating in at an angle and keeping the puck in a shooting position. Soon as the goalie slides over he fires for the 5 hole, but if there's no opening he holds it and tries to jam far side.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Were you equally disappointed (or moreso) with Bergy's? I thought Bergy's was easily the worst of the six from the Bruins?

Bergeron does the exact same move almost every shootout attempt, the goalie could just hug the left post and make the save without even moving. I'm actually surprised it works sometimes, do those teams not have access to video?:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00