Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm a huge Bork fan:)

Beaker.jpg

Bork Bork Bork

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
As you pointed out, he did play during the lockout.

To be honest, I think the guys who played in Europe have a totally different set of circumstances to overcome. Yes, they are in "game shape" (the guys that did not play at all are not there yet) but they are not in an NHL frame of mind.

All the Euro leagues are no hit, slow pace leagues. You have time to think and make your play. They have to adjust to making a play quickly. It's a totally different sport.

The players with the highest advantage for the most part are the AHL guys.

I think it is a mixed bag as Horton and Lucic seem to be playing well and they didn't play during the lockout but they are still younger guys who can get their legs back quickly.

Seguin played during the lockout and hasn't looked amazing yet but has been average, while Kelly didn't play but is a little older and hasn't looked so good.

Everyone is different and they react differently to not playing, Horton I think benefited the most as his head needed time to heal.

Rask has looked outstanding and he played, so it is kind of up in the air of how people perform after the lockout ends.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Thought it was Hamilton's worse game to date. Not that he played bad or getting on his case, just evaluating.

He had more defensive errors in this game than all the other ones combined in my opinion.

Still looks like a stud, and he is still learing/growing so not concerned... just saying.

The only "glaring" error I noticed (not saying there weren't others obviously) was early in the game where his pass was telegraphed and picked off in the defensive zone by Matteau. But that was recovered nicely.

But even without points this go around, he was still doing some really impressive things. Brick pointed it out when he skated back to retrieve a puck with two fore-checkers on him, he shot the puck into the Zamboni board entrance which deflected the puck to a winger up the far boards. I mean.. that was just cool as it allowed said winger to puck up the puck a lot easier/more efficiently than just wrapping it around the back of the net.

I mean.. I suppose in retrospect to the last 5 games, this might have been his weakest game in comparison but still. I have yet to see any glaring mistakes that someone like Chara doesn't make every now and again himself which is fantastic for a 19 year old defensman. :)

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
I agree. I would have been pointing him out to security and mocked him out the door. Gives the rest of us a bad name. Funny that he was not in the balcony where all us miscreants sit.

That's why I think he was a Devils fan trying to stir up ****. Most out of town tix get sold in the Loge seats, right? Plus, as someone mentioned, he had to have been holding that food for a little bit since concessions would have been closed way before the shootout.

He was either A. trying to screw with Seguin's scoring bid or B. mocking him about his supposed trashy Swiss apartment. Most likely the former.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
The only "glaring" error I noticed (not saying there weren't others obviously) was early in the game where his pass was telegraphed and picked off in the defensive zone by Matteau. But that was recovered nicely.

But even without points this go around, he was still doing some really impressive things. Brick pointed it out when he skated back to retrieve a puck with two fore-checkers on him, he shot the puck into the Zamboni board entrance which deflected the puck to a winger up the far boards. I mean.. that was just cool as it allowed said winger to puck up the puck a lot easier/more efficiently than just wrapping it around the back of the net.

I mean.. I suppose in retrospect to the last 5 games, this might have been his weakest game in comparison but still. I have yet to see any glaring mistakes that someone like Chara doesn't make every now and again himself which is fantastic for a 19 year old defensman. :)

And I was holding my breath the whole time. That had the potential to be a real gong show if there were a weak side forechecker out of his line of sight just cruising that lane.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Because some have to have a player to hate and Chris was picked.

I agree about that line.

Maybe it's because his style doesn't mesh well to what out 3rd line is supposed to be or that he's out of position a lot of the time and has to be bailed out?

Pretty obvious that he's the common denominator when discussing Kelly and Peverley's poor start. There's more to it but you start there and work down.

He's being criticized based on his lackluster performance. When your GM comes out and indirectly hints that he's the reason why the 3rd line is a bit out of sync it speaks volumes.

Like it or not this is a discussion board and no player is immune to criticism. You don't like it then don't read the board simple as that.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Off topic but I've gotta say I'm very much looking forward to our next 2 games. Buffalo followed up with a game against the leafs. Gonna be a fun couple of games.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Whoever threw that junk on the ice should not be allowed back to the Garden...ever.

As much as I like the idea, it's essentially impossible to enforce stadium bans. They do it all the time, but they're really just symbolic gestures. Unless you're a long time season ticket holder with prime seats that they can take away, there's really no penalty they can give you for these types of things.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Maybe it's because his style doesn't mesh well to what out 3rd line is supposed to be or that he's out of position a lot of the time and has to be bailed out?

Pretty obvious that he's the common denominator when discussing Kelly and Peverley's poor start. There's more to it but you start there and work down.

He's being criticized based on his lackluster performance. When your GM comes out and indirectly hints that he's the reason why the 3rd line is a bit out of sync it speaks volumes.

Like it or not this is a discussion board and no player is immune to criticism. You don't like it then don't read the board simple as that.

Quite the overreaction to a relatively benign statement that is actually pretty accurate, wouldn't you say?

There are plenty of people on this board that have had a hate-on for Bourque since he broke camp this year (sorry, Cross). There's an inane need around here to have a whipping boy, and even if he is deserving of the criticism coming his way, he hasn't even been given a chance. A lot of minds were made up before game 1 of the season.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Seguin played during the lockout and hasn't looked amazing yet but has been average, while Kelly didn't play but is a little older and hasn't looked so good.

Kelly did play in Europe.

I said earlier that I think the guys-more so the forwards-who played in Europe seem to be struggling with the game compared to the guys who didn't. At least as far as playing along the boards, hitting and playing in the dirty areas.

As for Bourque-he hasn't been my target (and I spent most of last season defending the whipping boy Pouliot) but it is clear that line has issues, and due to PK duties which are stellar and years of play in the NHL, Kelly and Peverly currently aren't going anywhere.

Bourque is the place to tweak, if they are going to look at changing things up.

I do think the fact that Bruins are winning games, means the front office will probably continue to be patient with him, but I can't help but think they aren't already looking for a contingency plan.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Quite the overreaction to a relatively benign statement that is actually pretty accurate, wouldn't you say?

There are plenty of people on this board that have had a hate-on for Bourque since he broke camp this year (sorry, Cross). There's an inane need around here to have a whipping boy, and even if he is deserving of the criticism coming his way, he hasn't even been given a chance. A lot of minds were made up before game 1 of the season.
Not at all but to each their own.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
I'm with Kate on this. Quite a few people wrote him off before the first game.. some people even seemed annoyed that he scored that goal in the scrimmage because "it cemented" him for the start of the year on that 3rd line.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

It's fine. Everyone knows that I think he's useless.

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
They quoted you in the story. Of course dafoomie does incredible work with video like always.

yes I know thanks . Not realizing that he was the guy until he walked pass me. Red neck dirt bag could of had us lose a important point. Got to say CF you don't miss a hockey thing on the airways :nod:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'm far more dissapointed with Peverley and Kelly's play than I am with Bourque. I fully expected Chris to play this way, to me it's inexcusable for Kelly and Peverley to be doing the same. And if you think Bourque is the cause of their play, then perhaps we need to start a discussion about how valuable two veterans are if the play of an NHL greenhorn is the root cause of their own poor performance

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Thanks Kate :)

I am used to THAT overreaction :laugh: and could care less.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I was very encouraged by Rask's solid goaltending. Face it, he got us back into this game and made a huge stop in the shootouts to seal the win! Also Marchand's clutch SO goal, it trickled in but boy was it a big one! Marchand showing us more of his clutch play. Hope it continues! A team has to win tough games like this one to build the mentality that they can win the close ones. Love the hot start for our Bruins!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad