Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals XIV- Mod in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I admit we call this place the Lunatic Fringe so it shouldn't surprise me, but there are a LOT of people just inking Peter Cehlarik to a 2nd line position today. After two games. Not two months. Not even two weeks. Two games.

Ryan Donato scored in his first game last year right? Was buzzing all over the place in his first few games. Maybe we should all go back and read the threads the day after that night. My guess is they'll read similarly. And as of today, Ryan Donato pretty much blows. He may get it together down the line, but does anyone want him near our second line in April, or even in the lineup???

Point being...let's pump the brakes on Peter Cehlarik.

That is absolutely a fair point. Couple of considerations:

1) This is not the first time Cehlarik has "looked good" with Krejci. Last time (pre injury issues in Prov) he passed the eye test but not the points test. Of course he's played a whopping 17 NHL games over two seasons prior to this year so I'd be happier with eye test rather than points test over that sample.

2) So far (two games only, I know and agree) this time he's passing the eye test and the points test. Hard to argue there was a better Bruin on the ice last night than him. Hell, change that to player on the ice. Yes, one game but ignore that at your peril. He wasn't Donato snap shot good (and he has a beautiful snap shot) he was getting shots on net, pretty pass, and good backcheck good.

My point is that if we added a piece via trade and he clicked with 2nd line like Cehlarik has for past two games we'd all be delerious and you know that is a fact.

We've tried EVERYTHING in house to get that 2nd line going. Show me a reasonably priced solution (and 2nd line point contributors will cost -- we all know that) that will be a slam dunk and I'll be happy. I'm not sure reasonably priced and slam dunk go hand in hand.

No, Cehlarik is most certainly not a slam dunk but he is cheap as all hell!!!! TDL is five weeks away. 3-4 weeks into that we'll have a better sense of whether Cehlarik is an answer on 2nd line. Trading him in the immediate future would be the height of foolishness to me.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
The problem with Krug is, well actually 2. a) he will probably want a lot of money that we will need to sign the young kids and b) he is probably our best trade chip to acquire another top line player.

The problem is, a team that's in a position to trade away a top line player is not likely to be a contender and thus will be looking for younger and cheaper assets in exchange (i.e. not Krug).

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I'm loving what I'm seeing from that 2nd line, but 3-4 weeks down the line, we'll see whether or not it's a hot streak or legitimate chemistry that can generate offense and do damage.

Reactions: bbfan419

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Speaking of Trade Deadline -- my annual plea for everyone to cough up $12 and become a sponsor. That's the cheapest cost per hour of enjoyment any of us could find. You know the servers are going to be stressed to the max -- if we all coughed up equivalent of three cups of coffee we might get through the day without things going black!!!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Speaking of Trade Deadline -- my annual plea for everyone to cough up $12 and become a sponsor. That's the cheapest cost per hour of enjoyment any of us could find. You know the servers are going to be stressed to the max -- if we all coughed up equivalent of three cups of coffee we might get through the day without things going black!!!

:thumbu: $12 that I would have piddled away on stuff I won't even remember. Well worth it.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think keeping Krug for this year is a no-brainer given the relative quality of the team. Similarly, I think figuring out what his demands are for a contract by this summer's draft is a no-brainer, and if he wants high-end PMD money, I think trading him this summer is also a no-brainer.

Simply put - I do not want to be on the hook for a long-term, high money contract on an undersized, offense-first dman with a real injury history. I have no problem if people disagree with that premise but if I'm GM that's my stance. Love the player, love his leadership, but he's an asset and as such, I think a bad long-term, high money investment given his facts. And I'll take my chances a guy like McAvoy and abundance of supposed offensive talent we have in the pipeline can make up for his production, all the while forming a defensive corps that's better at defending.
Fair. The reason I hold onto him next season as well is because of Bergeron/ Krejci, and Chara to an extent. I think the window is closing, and Krug gives the team a better shot. In my scenario, the worst case is he walks as a free agent and the Bruins get nothing in return.

I guess depending on what the return would be, I’d be open to dealing him this offseason. But not a trade for futures.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Me either. I know last night was a win, and Schenn played pretty well, but Moore instead of Gryz was noticeable. The team had more trouble getting out of their own end and through the neutral zone cleanly. We already know Chara is going to bollocks up his passes much of the time, Miller is hit or miss- some nights he is crispy, some not. Schenn would probably be a nice add, but there has to be a deal which doesn't involve Gryz to be made.

I just go back to saying it was just 1 game, and the offense constantly struggles with consistency/scoring from the midd6.
It's a lot bigger problem than a potentially weak 3rd pair, which I doubt it would be. Even then we could be looking at Vaaks there at the end of season if he stays healthy.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Fair. The reason I hold onto him next season as well is because of Bergeron/ Krejci, and Chara to an extent. I think the window is closing, and Krug gives the team a better shot. In my scenario, the worst case is he walks as a free agent and the Bruins get nothing in return.

I guess depending on what the return would be, I’d be open to dealing him this offseason. But not a trade for futures.

Deal. I would also not be looking for futures.

Best-case scenario is that Krug re-signs to a deal that makes sense and fits within Boston's structure. I'm just putting myself in his shoes and thinking I'd be going for what the market would offer me, and I think a lot of teams don't have guys like McAvoy, Gryz, Vaak, etc. behind Krug, and thus might break the bank. Plus a lot of teams have PP issues they'd potentially look to him to help solve.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I'm loving what I'm seeing from that 2nd line, but 3-4 weeks down the line, we'll see whether or not it's a hot streak or legitimate chemistry that can generate offense and do damage.
Ya there’s no harm in waiting it out for a few weeks.

I’d like to see that line play together against several teams who aren’t tire fires in their own end before I pass judgement on their level of play. Couldn’t believe the amount of bad puck management by St Louis last night. Hitchcock would’ve lost his mind were he still there lol.

Even if they do pan out though, I wouldn’t change my thought process at all if I’m Sweeney. If you can add proven talent over hope you do that every time if it’s in your budget and window of opportunity.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Me either. I know last night was a win, and Schenn played pretty well, but Moore instead of Gryz was noticeable. The team had more trouble getting out of their own end and through the neutral zone cleanly. We already know Chara is going to bollocks up his passes much of the time, Miller is hit or miss- some nights he is crispy, some not. Schenn would probably be a nice add, but there has to be a deal which doesn't involve Gryz to be made.

Moore just sat for almost a week and hasn’t been playing with Miller as a partner. He’s been good all year, so I don’t read too much into his subpar game last night.

I don’t think Sweeney signed him to a 5 year deal to sit?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Cehlarik answers our second line problem ~ stud

If you eventually put Jack Studnicka between DeBrusk & Studnicka you have the STUD line

I want Schenn
I want to keep Grzelcyk

Suggestions?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I admit we call this place the Lunatic Fringe so it shouldn't surprise me, but there are a LOT of people just inking Peter Cehlarik to a 2nd line position today. After two games. Not two months. Not even two weeks. Two games.

Ryan Donato scored in his first game last year right? Was buzzing all over the place in his first few games. Maybe we should all go back and read the threads the day after that night. My guess is they'll read similarly. And as of today, Ryan Donato pretty much blows. He may get it together down the line, but does anyone want him near our second line in April, or even in the lineup???

Point being...let's pump the brakes on Peter Cehlarik.

I tried saying this after the first game, but I’m a hater :laugh:

BTW, Donato had 1g/2a in his pro debut against Columbus last year (and a goal in Game 2 also).

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

If you eventually put Jack Studnicka between DeBrusk & Studnicka you have the STUD line

I want Schenn
I want to keep Grzelcyk

Suggestions?

Weren't you the one who insisted Gryz was the guy StL wanted and that's why Boston was a favorite for Schenn? And didn't you also endorse making a move that would include Gryz?

FWIW, I would include Gryz. In fact, I think if we could swing Gryz, Heinen and a prospect or mid-pick, it's an absolute win. If for some reason they wanted Donato or Cehlarik or Bjork or whomever instead of Heinen, fine by me.

And yet again, I like Gryz. But none of those other guys give me much pause. Gotta give to get and Gryz is in our position of greatest depth and #3 on the depth chart at that spot right now. Gotta make that deal.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Weren't you the one who insisted Gryz was the guy StL wanted and that's why Boston was a favorite for Schenn? And didn't you also endorse making a move that would include Gryz?

FWIW, I would include Gryz. In fact, I think if we could swing Gryz, Heinen and a prospect or mid-pick, it's an absolute win. If for some reason they wanted Donato or Cehlarik or Bjork or whomever instead of Heinen, fine by me.

And yet again, I like Gryz. But none of those other guys give me much pause. Gotta give to get and Gryz is in our position of greatest depth and #3 on the depth chart at that spot right now. Gotta make that deal.
in defense of Dan, hockey is his 3rd sport and his information is 3rd hand

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

That would be moi

I want them both

However, I agree with you, if you have to give up Grzelcyk I would do it but not adding Frederic to the Blues deal~ and not trading Grzelcyk for Silfverberg or Simmonds

I do think Schenn is a Bruins but who the heck are his wingers ?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

I want Schenn
I want to keep Grzelcyk

Suggestions?
Gonna have to sell hard on Heinen then. Bust out the good advanced stats and delete any of the bad ones.

Call him a pending 30 goal two way forward. It’s all how you write that resume really

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
the thing is Ryan Donato has never been 6'2 and 200+ pounds.

True. But Donato's shot is better and will continue to improve likely. FWIW, I like both guys and am not arguing keeping PC over RD. Just noting the strengths each player brings.

When we land Saad to play on Krejci's wing, it'll be a win-win.

Reactions: Strafer

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I like Grzelyck a lot, but who are your left defenseman next year, and after? Chara (if he plays), Krug, Moore, Lauzon & even Zboril will probably push for a spot. I think Grzelyck slots in above some of those guys, but from a depth perspective, if he gets you Schenn for two years, that's worth it IMO

I'd do that, and then kick the tires on Ferland to be his left wing for the rest of the year (depending on the cost). That's a deep group up front

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-DK-Cehlarik
Ferland-Schenn-Heinen
Wagner-Kuraly-Backes

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gonna have to sell hard on Heinen then. Bust out the good advanced stats and delete any of the bad ones.

Call him a pending 30 goal two way forward. It’s all how you write that resume really
I’m curious what do Heinen’s advanced stats say ?

Heinen would go very well with Schenn on third line so including him would be tough

Donato is a work in process and really should have been in Providence learning 200 foot zone and getting stronger

Donato skating, strength, play away from puck could have benifited in Providence

His hands, shot, hockey sense are nhl all star and he has the passion

Not sure he’s ready though

They get Schenn who plays with him ?

Heinen-Schenn-Backes could work but if Heinen in deal you have Donato who is real good one night and nonexistent next and Backes

JFK would have to be part of deal

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That would be moi

I want them both

However, I agree with you, if you have to give up Grzelcyk I would do it but not adding Frederic to the Blues deal~ and not trading Grzelcyk for Silfverberg or Simmonds

I do think Schenn is a Bruins but who the heck are his wingers ?[/QUOTE]

One of them should be Jake Debrusk, whose high-impact rush attack is a poor fit for Krejci IMO.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

You are still one of my favorites and best even though I hockey hate you 10%

Would you
Would Armstrong
Would Sweeney
Do this

Schenn to Boston

Grzelcyk
JFK
2019 1st to St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad