Lets see...
Bruins defense without McAvoy

Chara Carlo
Krug Miller
Moore Grizz

Depth
Vaak Kampfer
Lauzuon Clifton

Chara a UFA at the end of the season, Carlo a RFA at the end of the Season. Krug a UFA after next season

Ya he's not getting traded. The bruins play a great defensive team/game but a lot of it has too do with the commitment of their forwards coming back into the defensive zone and that's even more apparent with McAvoy out of the line-up.

The Bruins with him and Carlo on the right-side will be the envy of the league for the next 8-10 yrs as long as all stays healthy.

Reactions: Strafer

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I do not want to trade McAvoy, but if we were to make some sort of major blockbuster as some mentioned for Tarasenko and Schenn both, I would include McAvoy in part of the package going back if Parayko was also part of the deal to Boston. Now mind you that would be some kind of major deal that just does not happen very often and other salary like Backes would have to go back as well, but that is the only way I include McAvoy, then we would still have two great top 4 RD with Parayko and Carlo.
I actually agree with this and I'm a pretty big McAvoy guy. If you can upgrade significantly at forward and still get a damn good D coming back.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
There`s little doubt an addition of a Tarasenko would be a boom HOWEVER, all is driven by the C position for the most part, the acquistion alone of a Tarasenko, IMO, does not benefit the B`s nearly as much as getting a bonafide C-man to finally solidify and stabilize a terribly concerning black hole this team has right now. Schenn isn`t a guy who needs to be the focus offensively, he`d slide seemlessly into a 3rd line C, still get his minutes.

I could see a guy like him, with a player like Heinen causing real issues for opponents.

I think you may be overstating the impact a center can have by himself. Look at Krejci. He's a damn good two-way center. With two good wingers he looked like a 100 point guy. Take away those quality wingers and he's a -7 with 1 point in 5 games, and that 1 point wasn't even a pass, he just fell down and Marchand picked up the loose puck.

Also, if the B's get Schenn, I think it will be to play wing, not center. Why? Well, he's going to be really expensive to acquire and I'm of the belief that one of their acquisitions (3C or Top6W) will have to be "cheap" because they're not going to give up multiple 1st's or A prospects in two separate deals and bankrupt the future, and IMHO, it's going to be much easier to find a "deal" on a 3c than on a player who is a legitimate top6 scorer.

Last, and maybe this is a little unfair of me, but I find it hard to imagine them putting a player of Schenn’s caliber on the third line when they behave as if that would be beneath even a Jake DeBrusk.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Disappointing to hear that about McAvoy, but I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

They didn’t deal Seguin based solely on his attendance issues. He had serious holes in his game, specifically his fear of contact, that made them question what he would become.

Obviously, they were wrong, so wrong that I think they’re now gunshy when it comes to dealing any promising young player. Look at the comments they made about Bjork and Donato... they don’t want to deal anyone that might become good, let alone someone who is already really good.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Disappointing to hear that about McAvoy, but I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

They didn’t deal Seguin based solely on his attendance issues. He had serious holes in his game, specifically his fear of contact, that made them question what he would become.

Obviously, they were wrong, so wrong that I think they’re now gunshy when it comes to dealing any promising young player. Look at the comments they made about Bjork and Donato... they don’t want to deal anyone that might become good, let alone someone who is already really good.

McAvoy and Donato for Kreider, Chytil, Pionk and a 1st.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Good luck in making a trade then.

If that's the approach Sweeney is taking, no GM will be willing to deal with him unless its garbage for garbage.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
thats not what happened with Seguin

ive heard enough war stories by gms that do interviews and other insiders... that I know now your franchise player doesn't get traded without ownership approval

theres been different gms in place as kids like janney, Juneau, kvaltalnov, thornton, seguin, wheeler, kessel and soooooooooooo many others come and go in a blink of an eye

the ownership structure has remained consistent. the ownership hires the president... the gm is hired to fit the teams philosophy

party happy and soft willed kids who don't buy into the lunchpail mentality... will not last long

Reactions: rocketdan9

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Yeah that's how I see it too. The one area I have faith in Sweeney is his desire to hang on to kids to avoid giving up on them too early. We're still sitting here today without a #3C, without a quality 2nd line RW and we still have Heinen, Donato, Bjork and Senyshyn in the system performing to mixed reviews at best. I have very little concern that we're gonna see him dump McAvoy given he's our best dman already.

Reactions: PlayMakers

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Good luck in making a trade then.

If that's the approach Sweeney is taking, no GM will be willing to deal with him unless its garbage for garbage.

yeah, I agree. Seguin led the team in scoring as a 19/20 year old, then like a lot of people had a not so great nhl lockout year, followed by a bad 3 games in games 4-6 of the Cup (he was our best forward the first three games).

Bjork and Donato would come back to bite you as badly IMO... If you have zero confidence in making a deal or identifying which players to deal then being a GM isn't for you.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
yeah, I agree. Seguin led the team in scoring as a 19/20 year old, then like a lot of people had a not so great nhl lockout year, followed by a bad 3 games in games 4-6 of the Cup (he was our best forward the first three games).

Bjork and Donato would come back to bite you as badly IMO... If you have zero confidence in making a deal or identifying which players to deal then being a GM isn't for you.

Bingo!

Sweeney has struck out badly in his FA signings and to-date his best trade acquisition is "Sean ****ing Kuraly" and he stabbed the Kings in the back in that deal, which I'm sure didn't sit too well with the kings or other GMs around the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Lauko
Donato
Heinen
Frederic
Senyshn
Studnicka
Bjork
Chelarik
Cave
JFK

Are all these guys locks for roster spots soon? Sweeney should know more or less which of these kids are keepers. What is his plan for the rest of them? How does keeping them in the Organization affect their value?
I would not move:
Lauko
Frederic
Studnicka
The rest, have at it!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bingo!

Sweeney has struck out badly in his FA signings and to-date his best player acquisition is "Sean Fuuuking Kuraly" and he stabbed the Kings in the back in that deal, which I'm sure didn't sit too well with the kings or other GMs around the league.

I like Sweeney and think he will pull the trigger when he wants too, and will. Playmakers had said he thought they were weary of dealing them, and I don't think they are but maybe they value them differently then other GMs

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Bingo!

Sweeney has struck out badly in his FA signings and to-date his best player acquisition is "Sean Fuuuking Kuraly" and he stabbed the Kings in the back in that deal, which I'm sure didn't sit too well with the kings or other GMs around the league.

Halak, Moore and even Wagner all say hello!

Not an area I would say he has struck out on unless you're talking about missing out on big names...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
ive heard enough war stories by gms that do interviews and other insiders... that I know now your franchise player doesn't get traded without ownership approval

theres been different gms in place as kids like janney, Juneau, kvaltalnov, thornton, seguin, wheeler, kessel and soooooooooooo many others come and go in a blink of an eye

the ownership structure has remained consistent. the ownership hires the president... the gm is hired to fit the teams philosophy

party happy and soft willed kids who don't buy into the lunchpail mentality... will not last long

he certainly fit in well game 2, period 2 vs Tampa in 2011 and was one of the only forwards to show up 2012 vs the Caps...Shocked his horrible lifestyle didn't affect the team even more.

Lunch pail mentality is what gives you the Hayes for Smith type deals. We have what, 5-6 lunch pail guys in our bottom 6 every night, and where has that gotten us so far?

I like lunch pail guys, but an over abundance of them isn't winning you anything in this recent "new" NHL.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Halak, Moore and even Wagner all say hello!

Not an area I would say he has struck out on unless you're talking about missing out on big names...

Yes. I agree those were nice signings, especially Halak but your not going to win by catching a small fish in a big pond, when you need another big fish and you already have a fist full of those small fish in hand already. But those were nice signings.

Although those signings do little to help his prior disastrous signings of Belesky and Backes where he self induced the crippling of his cap room with nearly zero return.

Add to that When Sean Kuraly is your best Trade acquisition in 3+ years and your not any further ahead now than you were then, tells me that he's failing as GM. Considering when he traded Looch and Hamilton he came out and said these picks, are also assets that can be used to improve the bruins down the road. Well that road is getting pretty long.

Reactions: JCRO

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Didnt you say the same with Thornton, Kessel, Seguin? :sarcasm:
Ok, fine.

McAvoy for A UFA within 2 seasons, 2 JAGs, a C prospect, and especially no picks.

That actually sounds kinda close to what the Bruins would do. Article about how Charlie doesn't like chowdah is already written, ready to publish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad