Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposal - VI - (MOD in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
This is the "first hint of adversity". Heinen has just 15 points in his last 63 NHL games now, that's 3/4 of a season. That 38 points in his 48 games could be the easily be the anomaly, not the other way around. You make it sound like he'd be the first player ever whose rookie season ended up being their best season production-wise. Fact is that happening is fairly common. Rookies come in, the opposition figures them out, learns what their tendences are. Confidence wains, never really returns to where it was.

Can you name some examples? Yakupov is the only player I can think of who permanently regressed after his rookie season.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Is Jan Kovar who produced at the same or better than Panarin and Kovalchuk in the KHL

Really not more talented than 1 of
Cave
Wagner
Kuraly
Acciairi

Seems like a no brainer at this point to give him the minimum and play him..he can’t be worse than what where trotting out and atleast he is an offensive style player so we could get rid of 1 of our 6 fowards with zero finish, no skill style players out of our lineup in
Cave, Wagner, Kuraly, Backes, Nordstrom, Acciairi

and if he sucks oh well no asset wasted and we aren’t hurting for cap space currently especially when it should only take 6 figures

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Can you name some examples? Yakupov is the only player I can think of who permanently regressed after his rookie season.

Ken Hodge Jr, Dmitri Kvartanolov, Chistov, Trent Hunter, Marek Svatos are just a few quick examples I found in a couple minutes of guys whose rookie season was, by far in some cases, their best season of their careers production wise.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Ken Hodge Jr, Dmitri Kvartanolov, Chistov, Trent Hunter, Marek Svatos are just a few quick examples I found in a couple minutes of guys whose rookie season was, by far in some cases, their best season of their careers production wise.
the point of contention here isn't whether that's a possibility though. Of course that could happen with Heinen. My point is that he's not going to get worse than we're seeing right now statistically. Trading him now guarantees you get poor value for him. If you wait, there's a good chance he picks it up and then you can trade him if it makes sense and get a decent return for him. If you wait and he really is a 17 point player then it's not like you lost anything by giving him a chance to figure it out.

Anyway I think he's part of the solution and think they need to draw from their defensive depth to get forward help, not make lateral moves when secondary scoring is their biggest issue.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
the point of contention here isn't whether that's a possibility though. Of course that could happen with Heinen. My point is that he's not going to get worse than we're seeing right now statistically. Trading him now guarantees you get poor value for him. If you wait, there's a good chance he picks it up and then you can trade him if it makes sense and get a decent return for him. If you wait and he really is a 17 point player then it's not like you lost anything by giving him a chance to figure it out.

Anyway I think he's part of the solution and think they need to draw from their defensive depth to get forward help, not make lateral moves when secondary scoring is their biggest issue.

Ideally you keep Heinen and replace the 12th best offensive forward on this team with a better player, not replace Heinen who is still more offensively talented than quite a few of the guys who have line-up spots pencilled in each night.

But for the right deal, why wait for something that may never happen (his production going back up) if you can improve the Bruins right now with whatever you get back. I'm not saying trade him for a pick or prospect.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bergeron is the only injured forward. You really need to see him back to confirm that we need help up front?
As for the D, I’m comfortable we have enough back there. And the farm is strong, or at least it better be.
Touche!

Reactions: maxl7

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Ideally you keep Heinen and replace the 12th best offensive forward on this team with a better player, not replace Heinen who is still more offensively talented than quite a few of the guys who have line-up spots pencilled in each night.

But for the right deal, why wait for something that may never happen (his production going back up) if you can improve the Bruins right now with whatever you get back. I'm not saying trade him for a pick or prospect.
I just don't think Anderson is the "right deal" so I guess that's where we will agree to disagree. Even if it's an improvement I think it's a marginal one at best and doesn't really do enough to fix our issues. And worst case scenario is that Heinen is the better player in the long run (he certainly has more skill, something our bottom 6 lacks) and you just got worse, not better.

The capital to pay for forward upgrade needs to come from the D IMO. That's where we have surplus.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Maybe that's why Cassidy doesn't seem to like him that much (it really surprised me when he benched Heinen in the playoffs). Heinen never looks "faster" or "slower"--he looks exactly the same no matter what the game situation or score. Not only does he lack an extra gear, there is never any apparent urgency to his game.
I own a 1965 Buick convertible. Beautiful car. It has a problem where it is stuck in 2nd gear. A mechanic misunderstood a system and took it out and threw it away because he thought that it was an "early type of cruise control." It turns out that it shifts the tranny. Upshifts and downshifts it. Without that mechanism it's always in 2nd gear while you drive it. Reminds me of Heinen. He is never in power mode, never in fast mode. One speed all the time every time!

EDIT: That ^^ being said, I do not want to trade him for just anyone. I do like Anderson of CBJ and not sure that is selling low but I don't want to trade him just to stupidly, simply do something. If there's a trade out there for a center or rh/rw I would say yes . Anderson is a rh/rw. I would take that chance since we are in dyer need of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBruins

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I just don't think Anderson is the "right deal" so I guess that's where we will agree to disagree. Even if it's an improvement I think it's a marginal one at best and doesn't really do enough to fix our issues. And worst case scenario is that Heinen is the better player in the long run (he certainly has more skill, something our bottom 6 lacks) and you just got worse, not better.

The capital to pay for forward upgrade needs to come from the D IMO. That's where we have surplus.
It's a start brother. Then, we need to look for a 2/3 center. NOT easy, not impossible.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
So you would trade a 1st round pick + B level prospect for Austin Watson? He abuses women. No thanks. Additionally, The guy is basically a 4th liner. I get he's off to a hot start this season, but going off what he's done in the past as well, seems like an awful lot for a guy who isn't actually going to tip the scale. This would be a typical panic move. Overpay for TOUGHNESS.

It has nothing to do with his “hot start” I traded for him in 2 of my fantasy leagues.

It has to do with him passing my eye test vs Winnipeg last year and being one of the best players in the ice when it mattered in the playoffs.

You can crap on Watson all you want but he went in the top 10 of the NHL draft (I know that means nothing now) just making the point he has/had talent. I’m guessing he is fairly cheap and controllable for 2-3 more years?

Which is why Nashville won’t trade him for a 1 +

They don’t match up as trade partners. But I’d take him over Simmonds or the other old trash that is bound to be out there at a high cost.

He checks a lot of boxes for what the Bruins want and need right now and dealing a pick that is hopefully 20-25 OV with the current line up depth of the Bruins would be a good move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
lets say Bergeron and rick nash are our only 2 injured forwards. if nash was healthy enough to just come back no questions... I think we would have had him

our lineup today needs to replace both Bergeron and nash because I think there was a plan to have both of them

Reactions: LouJersey

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Is Jan Kovar who produced at the same or better than Panarin and Kovalchuk in the KHL

Really not more talented than 1 of
Cave
Wagner
Kuraly
Acciairi

Seems like a no brainer at this point to give him the minimum and play him
..he can’t be worse than what where trotting out and atleast he is an offensive style player so we could get rid of 1 of our 6 fowards with zero finish, no skill style players out of our lineup in
Cave, Wagner, Kuraly, Backes, Nordstrom, Acciairi

and if he sucks oh well no asset wasted and we aren’t hurting for cap space currently especially when it should only take 6 figures

Not sure if he'll accept a minimum contract. IIRC the Isles offered him $300K (possibly on a 2 way deal) and he turned it down. Also, sounds as though he's a KHL legend...
In his own mind!

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Even with all the injured guys back, this team still lacks scoring depth up front. Before or by TDL Sweeney needs to go big or go home, none of this little tinkering type adds, either acquire some top end young talent and yes that means giving up some of the top prospects Frederic, JFK etc. but this is what needs to be done to compete this year. If not that route, than DS needs to think of unloading some of our core vets for top picks and top young prospects. The window is closing fast for Chara, Rask, Krejci, Bergeron etc., so either add top talent now or rebuild, because standing pat won't do much good in either direction.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Even with all the injured guys back, this team still lacks scoring depth up front. Before or by TDL Sweeney needs to go big or go home, none of this little tinkering type adds, either acquire some top end young talent and yes that means giving up some of the top prospects Frederic, JFK etc. but this is what needs to be done to compete this year. If not that route, than DS needs to think of unloading some of our core vets for top picks and top young prospects. The window is closing fast for Chara, Rask, Krejci, Bergeron etc., so either add top talent now or rebuild, because standing pat won't do much good in either direction.

Sweeney did this last year and we got "Rick Nash" , Nick Holden and Tommy Wingels. He gave up a 1st, 3rd, 4th and a 7th round draft pick, Ryan Spooner, Ryan Lindgren, Rob O'Gara and 1/2 of Matt Beleskey. By giving all that up we have nothing to show for it today.
The window has closed for Chara. The only thing that might benefit Boston is if Chara wants to go to a Stanley Cup contender to try to win a Cup again. It's not happening with this team this year. Krejci will be lucky to stay another year because they will try to get rid of him for pennies on the dollar once his limited NTC comes into affect. Rask and Bergeron still have a few years left.
Boston is not in the same league as teams like Toronto,Tampa, Washington or Nashville

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
This team is basically Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci, DeBrusk and a bunch of fourth liners. Or guys who should be in Providence. And Bergeron is out and those other four are currently playing like 4th liners.

At this point we need a top 6 forward or we are not going to make the playoffs. The Atlantic is damn good this year and we can't just coast. Unless we are okay picking number 15 again.

Reactions: bbfan419

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
This team is basically Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci, DeBrusk and a bunch of fourth liners. Or guys who should be in Providence. And Bergeron is out and those other four are currently playing like 4th liners.

At this point we need a top 6 forward or we are not going to make the playoffs. The Atlantic is damn good this year and we can't just coast. Unless we are okay picking number 15 again.
Yep we will screw up our first rounder but get a solid 2nd round defensive defenseman.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I have zero idea what this front office prioritizes when targeting players, so if they do ever make a significant trade before the deadline I'm fully expecting some mediocre "glue" guy instead of something exciting. Hope I'm wrong, though.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
At this point if you're gonna lose let's insert JFK/Frederic/Bjork/Fitzgerald/Cehlarik. These guys can't be any worse than any current player in the bottom six. This is painful to watch.

Can someone tell me what exactly Acciari/Wagner/Backes (playing ok lately)/Kuraly bring to the table? I get that you may need a mucker or two but you certainly do not 4 or more.

And while I'm at it, anybody seen Heinen? What the hell has happened to this guy? Sweeney and the rest didn't address the 3C in the offseason or RW2 and now this team is borderline unwatchable.

I know Sweeney thought these sophomores would be better, but they have all failed except for Debrusk. Even with Bergeron/Chara/McAvoy/Miller back this Bruins team is first round road kill come playoff time. Finish 2-3 in the division this team will get embarrassed by Toronto or Tampa. Get a Wild Card spot and we all know what the Caps have done to the Bruins.

Our offensive prospects are extremely underwhelming. JFK gets a chance to play with 63 and 88.... I mean if that doesn't get the blood flowing you do not belong in the NHL.

The race has started and the Bruins are stuck in the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad