Confirmed with Link: Bruins trade Jordan Caron for Max Talbot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yeah, Chiarelli is a fool and all you coach GM's are geniuses. That's exactly how it works.
Or maybe we finally solidified the bottom 6 with a money wise cheap contract that can easily be traded away or buried next year.

And you're an apologist. Incapable of evaluating something for what it presently is for fear that you will betray the almighty Chiarelli.

Are you implying Max Talbot has a good contract?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Oh, I'm not saying it will. And I think it's a lateral move and does nothing for what it's worth. I just think everyone is over reacting over having Max Talbot as a 4th liner when the root issue with the cap is really elsewhere. Probably everyone is agitated because we didn't acquire Jesus Christ from the hockey club of the kingdom of heaven on a ELC.

I certainly wouldn't define Max Talbot as the "root issue".

But, I see absolutely no reason to add salary at this point on a fourth line veteran. It certainly isn't helping anything.

aguineapig

I certainly wouldn't define Max Talbot as the "root issue".

But, I see absolutely no reason to add salary at this point on a fourth line veteran. It certainly isn't helping anything.

Other people would disagree with that, saying that losing Ference, Boychuck and Thornton has hurt the team. I don't know if you believe that or not, but a case could be made that this is an irrelevant move cap wise, and to fix the cap other major things must be done (getting rid of top9 deadweight), and has the potential to add something good. I don't know whether I agree with that or not, but we'll see how it pans out. If the bruins make the playoffs and Talbot does what he did with the Pens I would say it'd be an improvement over having Caron do nothing on an already sub par fourth line.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Other people would disagree with that, saying that losing Ference, Boychuck and Thornton has hurt the team. I don't know if you believe that or not, but a case could be made that this is an irrelevant move cap wise, and to fix the cap other major things must be done (getting rid of top9 deadweight), and has the potential to add something good. I don't know whether I agree with that or not, but we'll see how it pans out. If the bruins make the playoffs and Talbot does what he did with the Pens I would say it'd be an improvement over having Caron do nothing on an already sub par fourth line.

As a fellow Caron hater, I was digging Ferlin-Kelly-Caron the other night.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
And you're an apologist. Incapable of evaluating something for what it presently is for fear that you will betray the almighty Chiarelli.

Are you implying Max Talbot has a good contract?

Who the **** cares about Talbots contract? He fits under the cap, right? Next season is his last, he'll have a hit of 1.75 but will be paid 1M in real money. His contract can easily be moved next season. You've heard teams can go over the cap in the offseason to be capcomplient come game 1? So he doesn't hurt us at all, we will have all the time in the world to deal with him. We gave nothing up for him too, wtf is your problem? Have you expected real assets for Jordan freaking Caron?

We had a terrible 4th line just days ago. Now we have Kelly and Talbot, two guys with history of coming big in playoffs, on it and a top9 winger with promising upside and a prototypical Bruins mold on a probably cheap bridge contract for some years, it's good enough for me. There have been no forwards moved that I would really desire anyway.

The D situation is on the other hand problematic but we couldn't afford Yandle and Zidlicky/Michalek wouldn't have given us much either.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
Who the **** cares about Talbots contract? He fits under the cap, right? Next season is his last, he'll have a hit of 1.75 but will be paid 1M in real money. His contract can easily be moved next season. You've heard teams can go over the cap in the offseason to be capcomplient come game 1? So he doesn't hurt us at all, we will have all the time in the world to deal with him. We gave nothing up for him too, wtf is your problem? Have you expected real assets for Jordan freaking Caron?

We had a terrible 4th line just days ago. Now we have Kelly and Talbot, two guys with history of coming big in playoffs, on it and a top9 winger with promising upside and a prototypical Bruins mold on a probably cheap bridge contract for some years, it's good enough for me. There have been no forwards moved that I would really desire anyway.

The D situation is on the other hand problematic but we couldn't afford Yandle and Zidlicky/Michalek wouldn't have given us much either.

Up voted for making sense. :nod:

Sikhander

Feb 21, 2010

This basically sums up my thoughts as well. Two solid non-flashy deals to create some forward depth and potential upside. On paper our four lines look much better now.

But the D problems remain...

aguineapig

I do think a stabilized 4th line will help with the fact that our top 9 could be in pretty much any order of 1st thru 3rd line. You can't roll lines and run without a clear cut first line, without having lines you can actually roll and not lose games because of, which they have this year.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

No, I didn't expect "real assets" for Jordan Caron. Acting is if that's my beef is, once again, ignorant.

I guess I wonder why we picked up 1.75 million cap hit Talbot, and waived Cunningham. Is there some sort of issue with having youth on the fourth line...which is possibly better and cheaper than aged veterans? Paille is going to be gone and so is Campbell, but why would you choose to commit to a guy like Talbot at the deadline. Might have been able to pick him up on waivers this summer...

I'm not even going to argue the "coming up big in the playoffs" line. That's nothing but purely over optimistic ********. Kelly and Talbot both belong on the fourth line at this point, and they take up a combined 4.7 million in cap space. Saying it's not a problem because there are guys who take up, comparatively, more cap space is silly. You manage all assets on the team for success, not just the top 6.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Is Talbot better than Caron?

Yes? Then I'll take it. Talbot has scored some bigtime goals.

aguineapig

If the lines can somehow be settled-- Talbot acclimates to the 4th line and they play as well as our 4th lines used to, and connolly settles in somewhere, and all 4 lines play well you might hope that the D issue can at least be partially compensated for by Claude's system (as much as everyone seems to hate it, it does foster defense).

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've generally given PC the benefit of the doubt, but it would take a historic off season to win me back at this point.

Anyone who knows anything, can tell thst this team isn't going far this season, but they have several guys that could have been moved, and could have fetched a good return.

Soderberg, Seidenberg, Kelly, McQuaid, all could have brought back worthwhile returns. Soderberg could possibly have been a guy that got a first (maybe with a pick going with him).

I just hate Chia's passivity. I like the Connolly deal, am psyched to not have to watch Caron any longer, but just can't believe that a guy, likely clinging to his job by a thread, didn't do, something more bold.

PeanutButter37

Feb 20, 2015
This just seems like a waste to me. Caron is worse than Talbot, but it was easy to bench Caron. I'm afraid CJ falls in love with Talbot because he's that type of player and will remove a young, energetic player (Ferlin for example) to give Talbot ice time.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
So is the cap hit next year 900K? That would make this deal a lot better. I'm alright with a 900K 4th line C. Not so much with $1.8M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad