Confirmed with Link: Bruins trade Jordan Caron for Max Talbot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
So is the cap hit next year 900K? That would make this deal a lot better. I'm alright with a 900K 4th line C. Not so much with $1.8M.

I think so too. Talbot at 900k is a very good value and he's a great team guy as well which this team has been shedding left and right since the cup win. I had a strong feeling there was going to be salary retained with the extra year on the deal.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
No, I didn't expect "real assets" for Jordan Caron. Acting is if that's my beef is, once again, ignorant.

I guess I wonder why we picked up 1.75 million cap hit Talbot, and waived Cunningham. Is there some sort of issue with having youth on the fourth line...which is possibly better and cheaper than aged veterans? Paille is going to be gone and so is Campbell, but why would you choose to commit to a guy like Talbot at the deadline. Might have been able to pick him up on waivers this summer...

I'm not even going to argue the "coming up big in the playoffs" line. That's nothing but purely over optimistic ********. Kelly and Talbot both belong on the fourth line at this point, and they take up a combined 4.7 million in cap space. Saying it's not a problem because there are guys who take up, comparatively, more cap space is silly. You manage all assets on the team for success, not just the top 6.

You are calling me ignorant (and apparently Chiarelli an idiot), but suggest we should have picked up Talbot in the summer? What the **** would we pick him up in the summer for? We picked him at the trade deadline to help us in the playoffs on a mere chance we might be doing some damage, while paying absolutely nothing (as you might know its the guy who actually showed up in finals and won Pens the cup... and we don't have our cup without Kelly). And for the love of god, stop mentioning the cap hit of Kelly and Talbot NOW, when it's next seasons problem when they are both hitting UFA status and can be easily moved.

And for your Cunningham question. Let us play a little quiz.

63 GP 15pts +2 on a minus team
32GP 3pts, -4 on a plus team.

Who is Cunningham and who is Talbot?

hollafamer

Jan 24, 2011
Interesting prospect pickup too. I think our farm was lacking we can def use some new faces the problem is both prospects we nabbed have been in the system for years hopefully one of them shows some promise. But my biggest gripe is not addressing our defense. How did we not add a defensemen so many were moved At pretty reasonable prices. I don't get it.

aguineapig

I'm not even going to argue the "coming up big in the playoffs" line. That's nothing but purely over optimistic ********. Kelly and Talbot both belong on the fourth line at this point, and they take up a combined 4.7 million in cap space. Saying it's not a problem because there are guys who take up, comparatively, more cap space is silly. You manage all assets on the team for success, not just the top 6.

This is a trade thread about Talbot, not Kelly. Plus we agree on Kelly anyway, and he illustrates exactly what I'm talking about-- overpayed and played in the top9 all year. Thanks for illustrating the point. Speaking in absolute number, Talbot makes nearly half of Kelly does.

Maybe they picked up Talbot because this team is in the playoff structure and felt like a veteran with playoff experience in exchange for Caron was a good move. That seems completely reasonable to me, and as I send before a lot of people rued the loss of Thornton, Boychuck and Ference and said it hurt the team.

If Paille and Campbell are going to walk as you insist, than keeping Talbot as the fourth line C is going to run less against the cap on the fourth line. Whether they manage the 4th line correctly has more to do with who they bring it to replace Paille and Campbell .

Arthur*

I have nothing against this deal as a hockey trade. Not a thing. I'm just irrationally pissed because with all of our needs and what looks like a buyer's market based on today's prices, [t]that's all he did[/i]?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You are calling me ignorant (and apparently Chiarelli an idiot), but suggest we should have picked up Talbot in the summer? What the **** would we pick him up in the summer for? We picked him at the trade deadline to help us in the playoffs on a mere chance we might be doing some damage, while paying absolutely nothing (as you might know its the guy who actually showed up in finals and won Pens the cup... and we don't have our cup without Kelly). And for the love of god, stop mentioning the cap hit of Kelly and Talbot NOW, when it's next seasons problem when they are both hitting UFA status and can be easily moved.

And for your Cunningham question. Let us play a little quiz.

63 GP 15pts +2 on a minus team
32GP 3pts, -4 on a plus team.

Who is Cunningham and who is Talbot?

This is a trade thread about Talbot, not Kelly. Plus we agree on Kelly anyway, and he illustrates exactly what I'm talking about-- overpayed and played in the top9 all year. Thanks for illustrating the point. Speaking in absolute number, Talbot makes nearly half of Kelly does.

Maybe they picked up Talbot because this team is in the playoff structure and felt like a veteran with playoff experience in exchange for Caron was a good move. That seems completely reasonable to me, and as I send before a lot of people rued the loss of Thornton, Boychuck and Ference and said it hurt the team.

If Paille and Campbell are going to walk as you insist, than keeping Talbot as the fourth line C is going to run less against the cap on the fourth line. Whether they manage the 4th line correctly has more to do with who they bring it to replace Paille and Campbell .

Not trying to cop out of the conversation guys, but my viewpoint does shift quite significantly with half of Talbot's salary retained by COL.

aguineapig

Lol there goes GrumpyJ's argument.

I do like this move now, rather than just being open to it before to wait and see.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Talbot at 50% retained makes the deal easier to swallow, but if he's getting regular minutes/games next season while a better younger player wallows in the minors or the press box then this is still a bad deal.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Seriously knowing that Talbot is only a 875k caphit for next year how can anyone be against this? We traded JORDAN FREAKIN CARON. Most people would have been fine seeing him gone for nothing.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I like Talbot. He is a good 4th liner, great guy in the room, has Stanley Cup experience... Will fit in well. I was very worried about his cap hit.

Caron for him is a GREAT trade. Even at 850k next year, that's the price of an AHL scrub. Good deal. Obviously nothing spectacular but it's a good depth deal and it can't hurt having guys like him for depth. Could surprise ya.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
So first Chiarelli blows but because he got your BC boy in Carey you're happy?

This board is entertaining if nothing else :laugh:

Chiarelli certainly does blow, but I can be happy I get to watch a Boston born kid a bit.

Not like Paul Carey is some superstar who is going to make this team the best team ever. He might be a good 4th liner, might never be anything but a AHLer.

But yes, I am happy we got him cause he went to my alma mater and I watched him play well there for 4 years.

It certainly isn't a move that will sway anyone on Peter Chiarelli either good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad