Confirmed with Link: Bruins to host 2016 Winter Classic vs Montreal at Gillette

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Would never happen. January 1, 2016 is on a Friday and the Pats play on Sunday the 3rd (Week 17).

No way in hell will the Patriots agree to it for a multitude of reasons number 1 being the condition of the field since it takes days for them to prepare everything.

Factor in the nightmare of getting everyone down there. It's too far from Boston and not easily accessible by public transportation.

I could see it at Harvard Stadium but it will likely be at Fenway again which is fine by me.

1. Week 17 could easily be a road game. It's not like the schedule is even set yet.

2. Too far from boston? Obviously not for the pats.

member 96824

Would never happen. January 1, 2016 is on a Friday and the Pats play on Sunday the 3rd (Week 17).

No way in hell will the Patriots agree to it for a multitude of reasons number 1 being the condition of the field since it takes days for them to prepare everything.

Factor in the nightmare of getting everyone down there. It's too far from Boston and not easily accessible by public transportation.

I could see it at Harvard Stadium but it will likely be at Fenway again which is fine by me.

Pats play the final 2 away. Problem solved. They schedule around these types of things all the time. Hell, hockey/basketball teams go on two-three week road trips due to circus's coming to town.

Fenway was/is cool, done it a couple times now...but I'm pretty sure 1,000 or so people are actually able to watch the game.:laugh:

Pittsburgh did it at Heinz field. Buffalo did it at Ralph Wilson. It's far far from uncharted teritory.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I hope its the Habs (the NHL/NBC would make a killing selling the rivalry and all the gear that goes with it).

Habs/Bruins even with the novelty worn off would still make money.

I think the problem the NHL has is that they are too repetitive with the teams but then they have to use teams where you can make money. I mean a Hurricanes/Panthers Winter Classic would be a bust.

I probably wouldn't go to the game (I can't afford tickets at TD Garden so I sure as heck can't afford the WC) but if the jerseys or other merchandise were good I might purchase some of it.

All that merchandise brings tons of dollars to the NHL.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
1. Week 17 could easily be a road game. It's not like the schedule is even set yet.

Maybe it's because the majority of the Pats live in and around the arena.

It is a pain in the ass to get to Foxboro especially for those who want to take public transportation.

I highly doubt it will be at Gillette but it would be awesome if it were.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I'm torn on the matter

I spent alot of money at Fenway thinking it would be once in a lifetime.

Having it at Gillette would be differrent I guess, but still.

I'd go if I get a cheap ticket, otherwise. No way.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Maybe it's because the majority of the Pats live in and around the arena.

It is a pain in the ass to get to Foxboro especially for those who want to take public transportation.

I highly doubt it will be at Gillette but it would be awesome if it were.

Close to the arena? You mean like Boston, Worcester, Chelmsford, Providence, Quincy? We are not talking a trek across country here.

Pain to get too? Seems to work fine for 65,000 football and soccer fans and numerous concerts throughout the year.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Close to the arena? You mean like Boston, Worcester, Chelmsford, Providence, Quincy? We are not talking a trek across country here.

Pain to get too? Seems to work fine for 65,000 football and soccer fans and numerous concerts throughout the year.

I think the tailgating would be tremendously tremendous...

member 96824

You've got the option to sell 37,400 tickets or 68,756 tickets.

I'm not sure they'd be too worried about public transportation. Last time was for the nostalgia...this time?

$$$$$$$$$$

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Never happen, but they should do it at Harvard

Right, that it will likely never happy. But that would be a great place to watch, have no idea how they'd accommodate parking or getting people there easily, but I think the atmosphere would be neat.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

How many of the Pats live in Boston proper?

It's convenient for residents in that area in an otherwise lightly populated area (in comparison to the Boston area, or even closer suburbs). Foxboro isn't even close relatively speaking. It's why the NEW ENGLAND Patriots are there and why they couldn't be called the Boston Patriots.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

I understand where you are coming from... but it is conveniently amusing that your location says, "Foxboro".

RaskIsABrickWall

Jun 8, 2013
Shrewsbury

I attend 6 pats home games and all playoff games a year...I live just outside of worcester and it is so easy to get to Gillette. Even with traffic i am there in 50 min...not that hard

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
5412318844_9d2394410e.jpg

Just a couple less sleeve stripes, lessen the thickness of the brown on the waist and these would be awesome!

dit_clapper.jpg

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It would be soo much better at Gillette.. was at the game at Fenway.. it was awesome.. but the sight lines weren't great.. It was strictly the atmosphere.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The last time the Bruins hosted the Winter Classic, it was 2010 and Milan Lucic was still feeling the lingering effects of a high ankle sprain. He was not able to participate in the B's 2-1 victory over the Philadephia Flyers at Fenway Park.

So it's no surprise that Lucic was excited to hear that the B's are the favorite to land the 2016 marquee outdoor game.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...n_lucic_excited_about_possible_winter_classic

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
The last time the Bruins hosted the Winter Classic, it was 2010 and Milan Lucic was still feeling the lingering effects of a high ankle sprain. He was not able to participate in the B's 2-1 victory over the Philadephia Flyers at Fenway Park.

So it's no surprise that Lucic was excited to hear that the B's are the favorite to land the 2016 marquee outdoor game.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...n_lucic_excited_about_possible_winter_classic

CJ = Buzzkill. Trade him for Mike Babcock NOW!

I hope it's fenway and the habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3