Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Simon Gagne - 1 yr 600k

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
To those who have been scoffing at this signing, I'm sorry, but this is a fantastic signing. No one is expecting him to come in and score 40 goals, certainly not for $600,000, but when you can get a guy with his kind of experience who is only 34, has had a full year off to get healthy for that kind of money, why the hell wouldn't you. The guy can play up and down your lineup, kill penalties, be a guy you are not afraid to put out there late in a period. Not sure where the downside is. Could have easily had a couple of goals tonight if not for Howard and I only saw the 3rd period. Still very crafty with the puck. Would be shocked if he didn't get at least 15 goals this year while playing a tidy defensive game.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I really hope he can stay healthy. He clearly still has skill and looks like he's in shape. Could end up being a great bargain.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Had some good chances. One real impressive shift as the high man where he picked off two separate outlet passes, and it nearly led to goal. Can't complain.

Not expecting much, but hoping for the best.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Well for some I suppose this proves that Gagne IS in fact the answer to the hole on the top six wing spot.

He played well tonight, but I still want to see more. And I don't want him on that top line.

Huge advocate of the acquisition, but no one of that view, well no one sensible, would claim that he's the answer after one game, but as you said, he played well.

But, yet, you can confidently state that you don't want him on that top line? really? hmmm. based upon tonight alone, why not, I ask?

Even if you're not sold yet, is he displacing better options?

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Really good game. I can't complain.

I don't think he is the answer...but he certainly is better than most of the other options.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Okay, you're crazy. :naughty:

What you need to do is to stop drinking the kool aid. This guy is washed up. Giving him meaningful minutes means your team is lacking any better alternatives, which is scary. Besides all that, he hasn't been the guy you think he is since 2008. I'm just not ready to buy him getting back to what he was, especially now after the layoff and him losing a step. :laugh:

Again, if he's on your team and getting large minutes on the PP, and even strength, it means you have a lack of actual talent on your roster.

Am I still crazy? I thought he played great for his first game back. Awesome on the fourth line with Paille, and just as reliable on the first.

I've got a sugar high. You want some Kool-Aid?

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
If he plays like he did today, this would be a great signing... especially considering the lack of options Chia has, being so close against the cap and all (which he is mostly to blame for in any case). I was not high on the signing but for 600K maybe it will pay off. It's only been one game, time will tell.

member 96824

It's only game 5. I'm going to need at least until Thanksgiving :naughty:

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
It's only game 5. I'm going to need at least until Thanksgiving :naughty:

I agree we should temper our expectations (it's only a single game) but it's hard not to be encouraged by that DET game. He won't be a savior for this team but he knows the ropes and isn't really THAT old.

He did not waste his chances either, Howard made a couple amazing/lucky saves in close on him... but it wasn't because Gagne made it easy for him every time (like that elevated backhand that Howard somehow got enough of by flailing his glove).

If it turns out that he really is as healthy as he's been in years, and is as motivated and fresh as he looked out there tonight, then i will also be proven wrong about Gagne. I wasn't as outspoken about it as you were, but i was still down on keeping him after a mostly "meh" preseason. Didn't mind the camp invite for bodies/competition, just glad Leino is gone.

It's like they are hiding the fountain of youth in Vermont :laugh: (kidding).

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
I don't really think the argument against Gagne holds any weight. I'm an avid supporter of this signing... I've been in favor of Gagne since I heard he was going to our camp.

It's not like I prefer having him in place of a fast, skillfull top line RW. I simply recognize the fact that currently, there isn't a whole lot of readily available talent. I also don't see any trades currently offering us much in return. We'd simply be trading one hole for another. We already lost 2 valuable assets to this team in the offseason, I don't think losing another would help. And no, I don't think Spooner/draft picks or any of our other prospects will net us very much in return.

For the time being, Gagne is our best option. Tonight he demonstrated that he's still NHL-capable, and this was his first real game. If he manages to improve at all through the first 20-30 games (which I think he will) this signing will go from good to great.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
It's not like I prefer having him in place of a fast, skillfull top line RW. I simply recognize the fact that currently, there isn't a whole lot of readily available talent. I also don't see any trades currently offering us much in return. We'd simply be trading one hole for another. We already lost 2 valuable assets to this team in the offseason, I don't think losing another would help. And no, I don't think Spooner/draft picks or any of our other prospects will net us very much in return.

For the time being, Gagne is our best option. Tonight he demonstrated that he's still NHL-capable, and this was his first real game. If he manages to improve at all through the first 20-30 games (which I think he will) this signing will go from good to great.

Well put.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I don't really think the argument against Gagne holds any weight. I'm an avid supporter of this signing... I've been in favor of Gagne since I heard he was going to our camp.

I think that's the key. If one of the young guys; Fraser, Griffith, Spooner, etc. had wowed Claude/Chia enough in camp and the early games, the signing may not have been necessary but we are where we are.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Thought it was going to be fairy tale when he shot that backhand that SOMEHOW Howard swatted away off his knees. Played well, I think they will try him with Looch and Krech against Habs early and see how the line is going, hes slow, but hes smart, great signing and hopefully he only gets better from here.

CamTheMan

Apr 7, 2008
Wow, some of the posting in here is just insane. Yes, the Bruins were a bit off kilter the first few games but they still have a core chemistry that will come back. I am sure losing JB has upset the balance a bit but that will work itself out. This is a top team in the East despite the craziness posted in here. Talking about "the bad years". Lol seriously. We dont have an exact fit for a top line RW and all of a sudden this is a "bad" team. wow.

Gagne was an excellent signing at that cap hit. Very LOW risk and very HIGH reward. He had a full year off, yes, i get that. Did everyone toss Bergeron out of the mix after his concussion? He has obviously worked very hard to make the decision that he wanted to play again. He has proven skill. His game shape will come.

Alot of these fans have been spoiled the last few years and have come to expect a certain level which was nice but how can anyone doubt that this is not a playoff team as well as prob one of the fav's to come out of the East yet again?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Loved that signing. Lots of habs fans in my office were upset when they heard he signed for only 600k. Krejci is going to revive his career with some nice Set up passes.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Loved his game against Detroit. Elevated his play when inserted on top line. I had a good feeling about him. Now, hopefully he can stay healthy.

I start Gagne on first line tonight against Habs and put Griffith on 3rd with Soderberg and Eriksson.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Was happy to see he had a good game, still a long season yet but hoping he only gets better cause his old goal scoring we need

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad