Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Simon Gagne - 1 yr 600k

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
He played well. Need more time to figure out if he looked good in comparison to the dog **** we've seen on the ice so far, or if he actually looks decent.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Plus, I'd like to see how he looks on the second night of a back-to-back, and definitely after a month or two of NHL grind.

Last night was all really encouraging, but "projects" don't pan out in a day. Arrow is up, but it just took step one out of a long journey.

member 96824

so what your saying is your still evaluating?

Dude just came back from injury. Need 4 years for a full assessment. Call me in 2018 Scotto!

But on a serious note, a little extra motivation and pep in the step making your NHL return. Would love if that's the Gagne we see on a consistent basis.

Cautious based on preseason. Optimistic based on last night.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He's still a very smart player when he's not around the puck.

While he's lost some of his speed, he can still anticipate the play (Excellent defensive play that lead to Paille chance in the 3rd) and he isn't afraid to crash the net.

I'm still not expecting much from him this year; but if he can play the 4th line and fill in time-to-time on the top line for a spark, I'm good with that for now.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dude just came back from injury. Need 4 years for a full assessment. Call me in 2018 Scotto!

But on a serious note, a little extra motivation and pep in the step making your NHL return. Would love if that's the Gagne we see on a consistent basis.

Cautious based on preseason. Optimistic based on last night. And a Prozac Prescription ready if it all goes bad

Fixed it for you Brad. Luv ya bro ;)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
saw someone on the internet call him Gagne West.

If he sticks around do we start calling him Yeezus?

member 96824

I just talked to Jesus
He said, "What up, Yeezus?"
I said, "**** I'm frettin',
Tryna get more Veteran"

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Have to say he looked pretty solid last night. Certainly had some rust in his game, but overall, he was better than I expected. Should have had a goal if not two.

Great call by whomever it was that said he'd be on the first line by the end of last nights game and Griffith would be benched...:laugh:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Have to say he looked pretty solid last night. Certainly had some rust in his game, but overall, he was better than I expected. Should have had a goal if not two.

Great call by whomever it was that said he'd be on the first line by the end of last nights game and Griffith would be benched...:laugh:

And that's exactly the kind of smart in-game move a good coach makes. Griffith was doing nothing and Gagne, obviously a talented player, looked decent for a guy with some rust. Certainly worth a shot with your top line in a game like that.

Of course, since it also suits the narrative of Julien playing vets over rookies, he'll get criticized for that instead of applauded, despite the fact it was absolutely the right move. And surely, those who loved the one time Spooner actually touched the puck last night will be wondering why he didn't get a crack on RW with Krejci too.

member 96824

I haven't seen anyone even come close to mentioning either of those points.

That reminds me, I'm surprised about one poster who hasn't come back from her hiatus yet.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone even come close to mentioning either of those points.

That reminds me, I'm surprised about one poster who hasn't come back from her hiatus yet.

No we haven't seen those points yet but it's not even 11 am. They're coming.

Go look in the Spooner thread. Once again the conclusion drawn from his absence last night was that it's all Clode's fault.

member 96824

No we haven't seen those points yet but it's not even 11 am. They're coming.

Go look in the Spooner thread. Once again the conclusion drawn from his absence last night was that it's all Clode's fault.

Well I mean...Spooner's ice time/shifts are directly dictated by the coach.

I agree 100% that Gagne in and Griffith out was the right move though at the end of the game. Gagne had been one of the best forwards for us last night. Hope to see more of that...afterall, he is a former Flyer:D

Only concern for me in that situation is I don't know how much experience Gagne has on the right side. I only ever remember him being on the left. For example, that back hand at the end of regulation, man it would have been nice for him to get that on his forehand instead, would have easily been game over. Good night Jimmy Howard.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Huge advocate of the acquisition, but no one of that view, well no one sensible, would claim that he's the answer after one game, but as you said, he played well.

But, yet, you can confidently state that you don't want him on that top line? really? hmmm. based upon tonight alone, why not, I ask?

Even if you're not sold yet, is he displacing better options?

My post was aimed at those who were firing their own "I told ya so" statements. Primarily in the GDT.

And yes, I think he would be displacing one of only two potential options I see on this roster for the number one RW role. Eriksson and Smith. Eriksson because he's done it before and because it's whyhe was brought in. Smith because he possesses the speed and skill game that I think is needed to make that line sing.

I believe that a lot of the Bruins scoring woes early this season were due to not having a true number one line. Bergeron's and Soderberg's lines have both been pretty decent so far and we haven't seen results. We get that Krejci unit going and we'll start to see more consistent offense.

My fear is that if Gagne is put up there full time, that it will take a crowbar to get him away. It's hopeful enough that he made the team in the first place. Let alone that he performs well. But to say that he's the answer to the question on the first line? That's further than I'm willing to say is realistic. Don't mind him playing the Recchi role. But he won't be the new Horton.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
When will Clode try his yearly "Kelly on the 1st line" experiment?

Gagne-Yeti-Loui

Gagne could've netted 2 last nite. Where does Clode start him tonight? I like Griffith but he hasn't shown much as of yet

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Well I mean...Spooner's ice time/shifts are directly dictated by the coach.

I agree 100% that Gagne in and Griffith out was the right move though at the end of the game. Gagne had been one of the best forwards for us last night. Hope to see more of that...afterall, he is a former Flyer:D

Only concern for me in that situation is I don't know how much experience Gagne has on the right side. I only ever remember him being on the left. For example, that back hand at the end of regulation, man it would have been nice for him to get that on his forehand instead, would have easily been game over. Good night Jimmy Howard.

I think they have some options to get him to the left. Possibly on Soderberg's line. He played well, but of course, it's only 1 game. If he has some legs in a back to back tonight I'll definitely be optimistic. As for that backhand if he was playing against the Bruins that goes top shelf.

As for Spooner, yeah his ice time is dictated by the coach but in this case it's also very dictated by the roster. He's not going to steal ice time from the 3 centers above him. He's not in any of their leagues or even close at this point. Personally I'd like to see him get a shot on their wings, but you can't argue against Lucic and Marchand being above him, and now if Gagne starts to earn a spot, Spoon's on the 4th line for a while. Add in the fact that he's done next to nothing on the ice, and I don't really see how the conversation always ends up focusing on the coach. If anything, blame the GM for mismanaging centers in the system.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
My post was aimed at those who were firing their own "I told ya so" statements. Primarily in the GDT.

And yes, I think he would be displacing one of only two potential options I see on this roster for the number one RW role. Eriksson and Smith. Eriksson because he's done it before and because it's whyhe was brought in. Smith because he possesses the speed and skill game that I think is needed to make that line sing.

I believe that a lot of the Bruins scoring woes early this season were due to not having a true number one line. Bergeron's and Soderberg's lines have both been pretty decent so far and we haven't seen results. We get that Krejci unit going and we'll start to see more consistent offense.

My fear is that if Gagne is put up there full time, that it will take a crowbar to get him away. It's hopeful enough that he made the teM in the first place. Let alone that he performs well. But to say that he's the answer to the question on the first line? That's further than I'm willing to say is realistic. Don't mind him playing the Recchi role. But he won't be the new Horton.

Reluctant to post this as I despise threads about lines, but the same thought occurred to me last night. Would they ever consider Krejci on the wing? Just consider for a second this lineup (and obviously you could move around wings):

Marchand-Bergy-Krejci
Gagne-Soderberg-Eriksson
Lucic-Spooner-Smith
Paille-Kelly-whomever

Great 4th line. Great first line. With a little tinkering you probably have very good 2nd and 3rd lines. Soderberg gets a winger who might actually score. Spooner gets a crack at his natural position and with some talent.

Obviously you are moving a very good center from his natural position, but you can throw out two killer lines with no holes and a great 4th line. Could be interesting.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
honestly if Gagne can produce on the Krejci line, and the Bergy and Yeti lines continue to look good then I can't really argue with putting him on that line.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Reluctant to post this as I despise threads about lines, but the same thought occurred to me last night. Would they ever consider Krejci on the wing? Just consider for a second this lineup (and obviously you could move around wings):

Marchand-Bergy-Krejci
Gagne-Soderberg-Eriksson
Lucic-Spooner-Smith
Paille-Kelly-whomever

Great 4th line. Great first line. With a little tinkering you probably have very good 2nd and 3rd lines. Soderberg gets a winger who might actually score. Spooner gets a crack at his natural position and with some talent.

Obviously you are moving a very good center from his natural position, but you can throw out two killer lines with no holes and a great 4th line. Could be interesting.

That is the most wispily veiled "trade Krejci" post I have ever seen. ;)

And I honestly like those lines a lot better than what we're seeing, if we imagine Krejci is actually a RW that Krejci is traded for.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
That is the most wispily veiled "trade Krejci" post I have ever seen. ;)

And I honestly like those lines a lot better than what we're seeing, if we imagine Krejci is actually a RW that Krejci is traded for.

Ha!

Well you know I suggested that in the offseason but now that he's signed that ship sailed. But honestly I bet he'd be fine on the wing. And I bet he'd score too, like Oates did when Neely got hurt. He's got some finish for sure.

We love him at center, but man if you put him on the wing you could roll out two top lines that would scare teams and a great 4th line too. You'd have a question mark on your third line but that's better than question marks on 3 of the 4 lines.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
SSS to be sure. Didn't embarrass himself. Played two way. At least it was a fourth line upgrade on the AHL lifer they had out there to start the season.

member 96824

Ha!

Well you know I suggested that in the offseason but now that he's signed that ship sailed. But honestly I bet he'd be fine on the wing. And I bet he'd score too, like Oates did when Neely got hurt. He's got some finish for sure.

We love him at center, but man if you put him on the wing you could roll out two top lines that would scare teams and a great 4th line too. You'd have a question mark on your third line but that's better than question marks on 3 of the 4 lines.

I'm sure Tyler Seguin and Tim Thomas would disagree.:laugh:

(Timmy with the attempted trade at least)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->