Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Miami (OH) center Austin Czarnik

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Here is Kirk's take from earlier this month

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-free-agents-that-could-soon-land-in-the-nhl/

Czarnik is Miami’s offensive catalyst. He centers one of the nation’s fastest and most exciting lines that also feature a pair of prospects in junior Riley Barber (WSH) and sophomore Anthony Louis (CHI).

Czarnik is among the nation’s top playmakers and possesses game-changing speed, two attributes that haven’t been lost on NHL scouts. He can make some of the prettiest passes with great precision. Although Czarnik stands at just 5’9â€, he uses his small stature and low center of gravity quite advantageously both offensively and defensively. Czarnik is dangerous in transition and he can get up to speed very quickly. His elusiveness and speed also makes him a difficult player to contain. While his current goal total may not reflect it, Czarnik does have good finishing ability. He possesses great vision and thinks the game exceedingly well.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I like Czarnik a lot. Bruins got a good kid. Has everything except size. If size is all you care about, I guess that's a lot to ignore.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I've watched Z for 4 years now. He's not like camper.

I will say Z is one of the weirder hockey players i've ever seen. He does things unlike anyone else. He's small, but plays with a longer stick, that he uses to pick-pocket defensemen and is very good positionally in his own zone. I bet he averaged over 22 mins per game for us this year. He has unbelievable strength and balance on his skates, i saw him get knocked on his ass maybe twice in the 4 years i've watched him lol..... and 5'9 is doing him a HUGE favor.... anyway, he always takes great angles and is a very intelligent player in all situations...... His goal total was lower this year but not due to him not having a good shot, he has a very strong snap shot especially for someone his size..... he tried to dangle a little to much for most of the regular season and once he started just shooting the puck he started scoring in bunches.... it also didn't help that he hit more crossbars than anyone i've ever seen, he got robbed a ton this year...... Oh and please play him with Reilly smith, they had fantastic chemistry Z's freshman year when he setup reilly for 30 goals that year.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I've watched Z for 4 years now. He's not like camper.

I will say Z is one of the weirder hockey players i've ever seen. He does things unlike anyone else. He's small, but plays with a longer stick, that he uses to pick-pocket defensemen and is very good positionally in his own zone. I bet he averaged over 22 mins per game for us this year. He has unbelievable strength and balance on his skates, i saw him get knocked on his ass maybe twice in the 4 years i've watched him lol..... and 5'9 is doing him a HUGE favor.... anyway, he always takes great angles and is a very intelligent player in all situations...... His goal total was lower this year but not due to him not having a good shot, he has a very strong snap shot especially for someone his size..... he tried to dangle a little to much for most of the regular season and once he started just shooting the puck he started scoring in bunches.... it also didn't help that he hit more crossbars than anyone i've ever seen, he got robbed a ton this year...... Oh and please play him with Reilly smith, they had fantastic chemistry Z's freshman year when he setup reilly for 30 goals that year.

You understand that the Z nickname is taken in Boston.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
And a correct one, only problem is the Habs are getting bigger and tougher while the Bruins become smaller and softer.

Certainly you've seen him play many times to make that observation, right?

Anyway, thanks for the reminder of why I'm avoiding the toxic atmosphere here. Do svidaniya. I'll just drop this off for those who are interested in learing more about Czarnik:

On Tuesday, the Bruins signed another highly sought-after former college player in Miami (Ohio) center Austin Czarnik. The Michigan native was a linemate of Reilly Smith’s in his freshman year, a Hobey Baker finalist as a sophomore and captain of the RedHawks in his junior and senior seasons.

Like Krug, size may have been what allowed Czarnik to slip under the radar as a teenager. Czarnik is listed at 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds. Miami coach Enrico Blasi says he makes up for it.

“As a smaller smaller guy, you’ve got to play hard and not [be afraid] to get in nasty areas,” Blasi told WEEI.com Tuesday. “He certainly does that. He’s got real good skill and and good vision for the ice.”

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...k-becomes-latest-miami-player-to-join-bruins/

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Certainly you've seen him play many times to make that observation, right?

Anyway, thanks for the reminder of why I'm avoiding the toxic atmosphere here. Do svidaniya. I'll just drop this off for those who are interested in learing more about Czarnik:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...k-becomes-latest-miami-player-to-join-bruins/
Wow. This is a toxic atmosphere because we question or have some thoughts about a kid who is 5' 9" and weighs 160 lbs. It just seems that they have been going after short and small kids. these type of players don't win many battles on the boards where Clode's system resides.

hutch22

Jan 10, 2004
Waterville, Maine
Visit site
Reporter: Awful lotta hoopla for such a little hockey player.

Red Pollard: Though he be but little, he is fierce.

Reporter: What's that?

Red Pollard: That's Shakespeare, boys, Shakespeare.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Nothing to complain about here, good to take a shot, you never know. Krug was an undersized college free agent to.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Love me some Czarnik, you guys are luckier than (some of) you think.

Czarnik is very good and was very noticeable at the college level. I've seen him live 3 times but last year's visit from Miami to PC sticks out in my head. Seemed like PC couldn't get the puck of his stick all weekend, just everywhere you looked there he was making plays in putting himself in the middle of everything. Everytime I looked up he was doing something. I'm not a scout, but as a fan who knew nothing about him I walked away that weekend last year knowing who he was.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
The detractors here realize that Mats Zuccarello is listed at 5 7" 161 pounds? Johnny Gaudreau not much taller. Talent is what matters, we have big guys to protect Pasta and the like, to beat the Habs consistently we need guys like this, assuming he makes it which we will know in time. I like the move here sounds like a very good prospect...congrats to Chiarelli and crew

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I feel bad for some of you making negative comments about this deal. They picked up a very skilled player without giving anything up. Riendieu and Camper references? Really...it's almost like some of you are shouting "hey look at how little I know".

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Some people should pay more attention to things.

Look at the college kid who is gonna finish between 1st and 3rd in the Calder race this year. He's listed at 5'9", 150 and that is probably generous. His name is Johnny Gaudreau.

This isn't the 1990s. Size is almost irrelevant at this point. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Czarnik is gonna win the Calder for us next year or anything like that. Just that to write him off simply because he is small means you aren't paying attention to what the NHL is today.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
No risk potential high reward says it all. Impossible to be mad by this move, if you have a chance to get real NHL talent for free, you take it, and I'm glad we are.

Looking forward to watching him develop. He might be small, but our best goal scorer is also small. Can't go wrong with depth, especially with the amount of skill he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad