Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Miami (OH) center Austin Czarnik

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I have no problem with them taking a chance on a free agent from college, regardless of size. My concern is the same as it has been all year and which has lead to this team fighting for a playoff spot with a week to go in the regular season.

They are adding to many small, soft "skilled" players without adding enough players with size, grit, toughness and skill.

If he makes an impact in a couple years it will be one of the few things Chiarelli has done right this year. Few college free agents make an impact, there are exceptions, Krug being one, but they are few and far between.

If he becomes a Gallagher or Marchand who play with speed and grit I would be thrilled.

Everything I've heard/read/seen about Czarnik is that he's tough as nails. You apparently saw his size and jumped to the conclusion that he's "soft." Size has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of 6+ foot players who aren't that tough.

Instead of leaping on here to criticize a signing, why not take some time to learn about the signee first?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Everything I've heard/read/seen about Czarnik is that he's tough as nails. You apparently saw his size and jumped to the conclusion that he's "soft." Size has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of 6+ foot players who aren't that tough.

Instead of leaping on here to criticize a signing, why not take some time to learn about the signee first?

Too small:sarcasm:

You are correct and I'm sure he will out work the Phil Kessel's of the world, Doug Gilmour was one of my favorite players because of his work ethic and drive. Like I said if he becomes a Gallagher/Marchand I would be thrilled.

Most, not all but most, small college skill players don't bring a lot of grit to the table.

That said if a players skill sets and grit are the same I am always taking the bigger player.

I also agree this is a no risk signing, all they lose is a contract.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Yah, he's tough as nails against kids that will be accountants or engineers in June. The fact is , he is small ( 5'9" ). That's all I'm saying. They've been getting small players lately. If the kid makes it I'll be happier than #%*+. I'm still going to root for the kid. I might even go see him in Providence.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
So many posters still suck in 2004. Outside of an actual hockey fights board I'm curious if there's a more size toughness obsessed collection of people than HFBruins anywhere on the internet. It's so hard to find kids who are and big tough with any skill in today's age because junior hockey has gone soft, this is the way of the future. Get used to 5'9"-5'11" skilled kids filling out rosters or find something else to do, you'll always have YouTube to get your hockey violence fix in.

Everybody I see on twitter who follows college hockey has glowing reviews of this kid. Chiarelli's draft record gets **** upon and **** upon but he's signed some good college UFAs in the past and even some draft picks are coming around.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
, he's tough as nails against kids that will be accountants or engineers in June. The fact is , he is small ( 5'9" ). That's all I'm saying. They've been getting small players lately. If the kid makes it I'll be happier than #%*+. I'm still going to root for the kid. I might even go see him in Providence.

There are a lot of very tough players who have come out of the college ranks.

Kvartalnov_Fan

Stanley Cup Stupid!
Oct 18, 2002
Den of evil.Montreal
Visit site
Another small kid. Becoming the Canadiens.

Who just happen to skate circles around our slow-footed players and also have won the vast majority of games against our beloved Bruins in recent history. Yeah, you're right we need more size and grit. Who needs speed and skill? Our slow-poke grinders will punch and cross-check the puck into the net.

tnt410

Nov 23, 2008
Yah, he's tough as nails against kids that will be accountants or engineers in June. The fact is , he is small ( 5'9" ). That's all I'm saying. They've been getting small players lately. If the kid makes it I'll be happier than #%*+. I'm still going to root for the kid. I might even go see him in Providence.

Hargrove, Hickman, Connolly and Carey were all brought in in the past month and are all at least 6'. Of the Bruins' 23 draft picks since 2011, 16 of them (~70%) were 6' or taller.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Nothing wrong with this signing at all. Just from watching a bunch of vids of him and reading scouting reports of him it seems like he has some real potential to have a shot at the NHL. Looks to me like he has a big time motor and can create on his own. Given our cap situation this kind of signing, which has zero risk, is a darn good thing.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Nothing wrong with this signing at all. Just from watching a bunch of vids of him and reading scouting reports of him it seems like he has some real potential to have a shot at the NHL. Looks to me like he has a big time motor and can create on his own. Given our cap situation this kind of signing, which has zero risk, is a darn good thing.

Agreed. All I've read on the kid is that he works hard all the time, is fast and skilled, and plays bigger than his size.

HanktheHammer*

Good depth signing. Another Cam Atkinson perhaps. Why trade for him as it was rumored to be when the Bruins can sign his doppelganger.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have no problem with them taking a chance on a free agent from college, regardless of size. My concern is the same as it has been all year and which has lead to this team fighting for a playoff spot with a week to go in the regular season.

They are adding to many small, soft "skilled" players without adding enough players with size, grit, toughness and skill.

If he makes an impact in a couple years it will be one of the few things Chiarelli has done right this year. Few college free agents make an impact, there are exceptions, Krug being one, but they are few and far between.

If he becomes a Gallagher or Marchand who play with speed and grit I would be thrilled.

what I have read about him is the kid plays anything but soft

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The last four signings have been fantastic for the Bruins IMO... Hargrove and Hickman, big hitting bodies...Vatrano a bullish sniper type and now this kid. I love what they do with the UDFA (Hargrove was a pick , I know)...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Cam Atkinson and Johnny Hockey are pretty small, no?

They also signed Hargrove and Hickman, hardly signing small players lately, right? And Vatrano while "only" 5-10, is 215 lbs.

Like these are freebies (other than Hargrove)... No need for criticism IMO...

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The last four signings have been fantastic for the Bruins IMO... Hargrove and Hickman, big hitting bodies...Vatrano a bullish sniper type and now this kid. I love what they do with the UDFA (Hargrove was a pick , I know)...

All of these signings to me looks like the Bruins will be targeting a dman at the draft. I think Chia and co. are hoping that Oliver Kylington falls to them between 17-21

His stock has fallen a bit and I'm not sure why, but all scouting reports rave about how good Kylington will be. He has been playing in Sweden's top league since he was 16. Sign me up if he's available.

PlaceboFan

Sep 24, 2014
Seems like there's an unusually high amount of defensemen in this year's 1st round in that 15-30 range.

edit. wrong thread

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I'm guessing we have a different definition of tough. There are some tough players who have taken the college route and succeeded but it's definately a place/system that doesn't encourage fighting or hitting. Yes Toews Keith and even Kesler/Drury are exceptions to the rule but most college players have a bigger learning curve to the NHL/AHL. I don't think the main factor is speed or skill but "toughness" when they try adjust to the pro game

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
All of these signings to me looks like the Bruins will be targeting a dman at the draft. I think Chia and co. are hoping that Oliver Kylington falls to them between 17-21

His stock has fallen a bit and I'm not sure why, but all scouting reports rave about how good Kylington will be. He has been playing in Sweden's top league since he was 16. Sign me up if he's available.
Interesting take. I think the Bruins need to target defense men in the draft for the next couple of years to catch up our prospect pool. We don't need to go to the extreme like Nashville did, but we need to re-stock on defenseman.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Chiapet won't be here to make the selection, at 12 I think they will take Chabot or Carlo. Nick Roy would be a reach here but the little I have seen of him and the reports I have read I like his game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->