Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Khudobin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not a great signing at 1.2 million per.

Make no mistake, he's still got competition from Subban at camp for that back-up job. It's not set in stone. If Subban outplays him, Khudobin goes to Providence and all that remains is a cap hit of about 275k. I'd prefer an AAV that can be completely buried.

My issue is how much of an upgrade is he over Gus? I'm not sure if it's much if any.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So they keep Subban in PRO to avoid the expansion draft next year and Liles is a N°6/7? Would that work given his status?

Liles as a 7 on short money isn't a big deal - term & $ will be interesting for both.

Subban is eligible for expansion regardless. More than two years of professional hockey...AHL is professional hockey.

What it does mean is that the Bruins can trade Rask and still have Dobby as a goalie they can expose as it is required to expose at least one goalie with X games of NHL experience in the last year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Subban is eligible for expansion regardless. More than two years of professional hockey...AHL is professional hockey.

What it does mean is that the Bruins can trade Rask and still have Dobby as a goalie they can expose as it is required to expose at least one goalie with X games of NHL experience in the last year.

Good point.

Bill Daly has said if teams can't meet all the requirements for expansion there will be severe penalties.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Bill brought up signing a goaltender who had the chance to push Rask as one of his keys to the offseason. I hadn't considered it until he mentioned it, but it made sense. I put it as a tier 2 move in my ideal offseason.

Draft McAvoy. Check.
Acquire a defense partner for Chara. Fingers crossed.
Acquire a RW with jam. Check.
Manage to ditch one of Seidenberg or McQuaid. Check.

A backup who can push Rask. Check.

Just one more move and we're where I ideally wanted to be.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

Bill brought up signing a goaltender who had the chance to push Rask as one of his keys to the offseason. I hadn't considered it until he mentioned it, but it made sense. I put it as a tier 2 move in my ideal offseason.

Draft McAvoy. Check.
Acquire a defense partner for Chara. Fingers crossed.
Acquire a RW with jam. Check.
Manage to ditch one of Seidenberg or McQuaid. Check.

A backup who can push Rask. Check.

Just one more move and we're where I ideally wanted to be.

this ^^

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
A brief scan through the posts in this thread makes me think Dobby is the only universally liked player on the team. Can't argue though, he was a great backup for us.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Veteran experience. Knows the org, org knows him. Good insurance per Malcolm.

Like it.

That's an important point.

This is not a guy who's a stone-cold lock for the back-up job. To me coming into camp it's 50/50 between him and Subban. I think that it's important that Subban after 3-years in the AHL comes into camp believing he has a legitimate chance at the back-up job.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

This is not a guy who's a stone-cold lock for the back-up job. To me coming into camp it's 50/50 between him and Subban. I think that it's important that Subban after 3-years in the AHL comes into camp believing he has a legitimate chance at the back-up job.

Not to mention a life threatening injury to end his season.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

OK thanks - that was my fear.

In any case Khudo can stop the puck in an unorthodox way time Timmy. I'm sure the D are circling those Khudo days in the calendar because they're going to need to play a different collapse with him back there vs. Rask (more loose and open) as there will be more goalline movement as opposed to block and deflect with Rask. Will keep them on their toes but he can stop the puck...

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Who do you personally think will get the backup role ? The only game I have ever seen Subban play was that one game in St.Louis a couple of years ago . Is Subban ready to push Rask ?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Who do you personally think will get the backup role ? The only game I have ever seen Subban play was that one game in St.Louis a couple of years ago . Is Subban ready to push Rask ?

I think part of the issue is nobody on earth knows how Subban is going to play or react to pucks since getting his throat fractured.

Also with Rask off to the Worlds and not in camp it will both Dooby and Subban good minutes to hash it out.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

What Wally just said.

Who knows with Subban. Even if he beats out Dobby in camp for the back-up job, not sure he's pushing Rask just yet.

If I had to place money, I'd say Khudobin. Subban can still be sent to Prov. without having to clear waivers one more year. But if he outplays Dobby in camp, I don't think Sweeney hesitates to give Subban the job.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
What Wally just said.

Who knows with Subban. Even if he beats out Dobby in camp for the back-up job, not sure he's pushing Rask just yet.

If I had to place money, I'd say Khudobin. Subban can still be sent to Prov. without having to clear waivers one more year. But if he outplays Dobby in camp, I don't think Sweeney hesitates to give Subban the job.

It's been awhile since I have seen Khudobin play but from what I remember he is someone who can push Rask , not vintage Rask but the guy we have seen the last two years . Gus didn't strike me as a goalie who could hold the fort for 2-4 weeks say if Rask was injured but from what I remember of Khudobin , he would seem up to the task .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's been awhile since I have seen Khudobin play but from what I remember he is someone who can push Rask , not vintage Rask but the guy we have seen the last two years . Gus didn't strike me as a goalie who could hold the fort for 2-4 weeks say if Rask was injured but from what I remember of Khudobin , he would seem up to the task .

Hard to say. I haven't seen much of him since Boston in the lock-out shortened season. If I recall correctly at one point he was really pushing Ward in Carolina, granted Ward is injury prone and no Rask.

As long as he can maintain Claude's trust (which I think was key to Boston seeking him out) and spell Rask on the 2nd half of B2Bs, keep Rask under 60 games, I'm good.

At honestly, unless Boston can further upgrade the D, and improve overall team D (Backes is a step in the right direction), it won't matter who they have in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad