Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Khudobin

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Welcome back Dobey!!:handclap: His style reminded me somewhat of a Mr. Timothy Thomas.............. So glad to have someone able to back Rask up without causing palpitations on every shot.:handclap::nod::popcorn:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i was surprised at the AAV, especially for a guy who spent most of this season in the minors.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Welcome back Dobey!!:handclap: His style reminded me somewhat of a Mr. Timothy Thomas.............. So glad to have someone able to back Rask up without causing palpitations on every shot.:handclap::nod::popcorn:

The Russian Tim Thomas

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Great personality, happy to have him back.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Really happy when I heard this today. Not only good goaltender for us, just seemed like a likeable guy. Nice signing

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I know there is the familiarity aspect with Khudobin, but I would have preferred the Bruins signed Al Montoya to be Tuukka's backup. He's arguably the better goalie at this point and could have saved the Bruins 250k. Maybe the 250k won't be a big deal, but with the other (slight?) over-payments already on the roster - how much money could have been allocated differently against the cap?

Al Montoya
$950k
25GP; .919 Sv %; 2.41 expected Goals Allowed per 60 minutes

Anton Khudobin
$1.2M
9GP; .909 Sv%; 3.23 expected Goals Allowed per 60 minutes

May 7, 2016
Like the signing. This means we don't have to expose Subban in the expansion draft, right?

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Hmm thought it was 1.2 over 2 years instead of yearly, a bit high.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Seems simple to me, don't qualify Subban until after the draft.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Seems simple to me, don't qualify Subban until after the draft.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dom, but would it matter?

Bruins can only protect one goaltender, I would assume that will be Rask.

Khudobin and Subban are both past the 2nd year pro cut-off for exempt status, so both would be exposed as neither would or could be protected.

If anything, this allows Sweeney to trade Subban for immediate help and still meet the minimum requirement. Which maybe explains the 2nd year of the Khudobin deal. McIntyre would be exempt so he would help meet this requirement.

And couldn't all teams use this loop-hole to essentially exempt their RFAs by holding off on their qualifying offers until the last minute?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Correct me if I'm wrong Dom, but would it matter?

Bruins can only protect one goaltender, I would assume that will be Rask.

Khudobin and Subban are both past the 2nd year pro cut-off for exempt status, so both would be exposed as neither would or could be protected.

If anything, this allows Sweeney to trade Subban for immediate help and still meet the minimum requirement. Which maybe explains the 2nd year of the Khudobin deal. McIntyre would be exempt so he would help meet this requirement.

And couldn't all teams use this loop-hole to essentially exempt their RFAs by holding off on their qualifying offers until the last minute?

The RFA rule applies to goaltenders only. So I read it like this, they have to make a goaltender available who is under contract (Khudobin). If they choose to make an RFA goaltender available (Subban) he must be offered his qualifying offer so that Vegas retains his rights.

Qualifying offers are due in and around the same time as the expansion draft. Do not qualify and he becomes a free gent July 1.

So they've met the criteria of having a goaltender under contract, and if Vegas wants to select Subban instead, you have a "wink wink" deal already in place with Subban to sign back here July 1st.

If you're Vegas, who would you choose?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Interesting possible scenario: Khudobin plays lights out in his allotted games and Subban shines in his Providence season, giving confidence to the FO that the goaltender position is covered for the future. It then exposes Tuukka in expansion and recoups his 7+ mil cap hit.

Not advocating it, because I still have faith in Rask as our #1, but something to chew on.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The RFA rule applies to goaltenders only. So I read it like this, they have to make a goaltender available who is under contract (Khudobin). If they choose to make an RFA goaltender available (Subban) he must be offered his qualifying offer so that Vegas retains his rights.

Qualifying offers are due in and around the same time as the expansion draft. Do not qualify and he becomes a free gent July 1.

So they've met the criteria of having a goaltender under contract, and if Vegas wants to select Subban instead, you have a "wink wink" deal already in place with Subban to sign back here July 1st.

If you're Vegas, who would you choose?

Easy, between the two, Subban.

And maybe my interpretation is different, but there is the protected list, the exempt players, and everyone in between. Subban and Khudobin would both count as "everyone in between", meaning both would be eligible for selection, but my interpretation could easily be wrong.

And just my opinion, LV has to take 3 Goaltenders. They'll have some good ones to pick from. 2 of the 3 will be NHL established, the 3rd would likely be a young G who is waiver exempt in 2017-18, which Subban wouldn't be that year I believe. So unless Subban is selected to be the back-up, sort of a waste if he'd just get exposed to waivers the following Oct.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Easy, between the two, Subban.

And maybe my interpretation is different, but there is the protected list, the exempt players, and everyone in between. Subban and Khudobin would both count as "everyone in between", meaning both would be eligible for selection, but my interpretation could easily be wrong.

And just my opinion, LV has to take 3 Goaltenders. They'll have some good ones to pick from. 2 of the 3 will be NHL established, the 3rd would likely be a young G who is waiver exempt in 2017-18, which Subban wouldn't be that year I believe. So unless Subban is selected to be the back-up, sort of a waste if he'd just get exposed to waivers the following Oct.

You are correct, both would be available. And yes they'd have to select 3 goaltenders.

But you have goalies in the same situation as Subban like Darcy Kuemper, Petr Mrazek, Calvin Pickard and others that teams (Detroit) would have to qualify (Mrazek) just to meet the criteria of goaltenders made available.

So again, if your Vegas, do you go after the sure thing (contract protected wise) or Subban who could literally walk in 2 days?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I know there is the familiarity aspect with Khudobin, but I would have preferred the Bruins signed Al Montoya to be Tuukka's backup. He's arguably the better goalie at this point and could have saved the Bruins 250k. Maybe the 250k won't be a big deal, but with the other (slight?) over-payments already on the roster - how much money could have been allocated differently against the cap?

Al Montoya
$950k
25GP; .919 Sv %; 2.41 expected Goals Allowed per 60 minutes

Anton Khudobin
$1.2M
9GP; .909 Sv%; 3.23 expected Goals Allowed per 60 minutes

That seems a little unfair. His stats are skewed by two main factors

1) His stats are heavily influenced by two games

the 1st was a game against Arizona his 1st of the season in which he played 12:53 and allowed 3 goals on 8 shots .625

the second against Calgary in which he played 10:39 and allowed 2 goals on 5 shots .600

He played most of his games early in the season when the entire team was playing like crap

2) With a bigger sample size I would argue that those two blemishes wouldn't be as apparent in his stats. By comparison Montoya played 25 games and the blemishes get folded in with the better stats.

By the eye Montoya isn't better than Khubodin IMHO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You are correct, both would be available. And yes they'd have to select 3 goaltenders.

But you have goalies in the same situation as Subban like Darcy Kuemper, Petr Mrazek, Calvin Pickard and others that teams (Detroit) would have to qualify (Mrazek) just to meet the criteria of goaltenders made available.

So again, if your Vegas, do you go after the sure thing (contract protected wise) or Subban who could literally walk in 2 days?

Ah now I see. Makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad