Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Hayes ([email protected]) and Connolly ([email protected])

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It's funny, because the first few days around the Hamilton trade i just thought to myself "there's no way it can be this bad, it's just way too awful to make sense"

Now that all the dust has really settled and sweeney has been able to work, everything makes a hell of a lot more sense

Chiarelli totally left us in cap hell and in about 1 week Sweeney got us out of it. Hamilton isn't worth lamenting due to him not wanting to be here, and we can blame Chiarelli and not the cap for losing lucic - who had he signed him to 6.5 for a longer term or 5.25 for 3 years instead of the raise he gave him, we actually might have been able to re-sign him. (4.5 to 5.25 and then his next contract would be more appropriately priced something like 6.75 instead of going from 6.5 to likely 8)

So all things considered, the trades you didn't want to have to make we're not Sweeney's fault and he's done a bang up job cleaning up the mess so far

The real two tests I'll be looking at:

Will he actually hold Claude accountable/hold him to the discussion they had about playing a more up tempo game where the pace is pushed

And, will he end up falling into the same style PC had, overpaying for bottom roster guys.

Something tells me he has a great plan to build our team and knows what guys he wants. One of PC's biggest issues that I saw beyond overvaluing guys and poorly evaluating talent, it didn't seem like he was all that respected by the league and couldn't make a decent trade or signing to save his life

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Connolly obviously took a bridge deal. Helps us manage things for the year though which is good. If he breaks out we'll Kelly's money available next year for his raise. I was however hoping they'd keep Hayes under 2 per

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Definitely a show-me deal for Connolly, great idea. Hayes probably had to take an extra year if he wanted the $2.3m. And hey, Chia was paying an 18 goal scorer $6m, we have a 19 goal scorer who is a couple of years younger for $2.3m.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Connolly obviously took a bridge deal. Helps us manage things for the year though which is good. If he breaks out we'll Kelly's money available next year for his raise. I was however hoping they'd keep Hayes under 2 per

I like actually that Connolly deal is just for 1y, it's very difficult to explode from that to 5-6M range in a year, he explodes and we sign him longterm in the 4M range and enjoy.

Senyshyn is NHL ready when Hayes's deal is up and we can get a better player with a lot more potential on ELC to replace him if we need to save cap at that point.

Beleskey will be 32y when his deal is up and that's a perfect time to end that contract,
the amount of D-players we have in our system is great and the savings those guys will give us when Seids's+Chara's contracts are up.

I'm really liking these offseason signings, I'm just happy right now that Chia isn't making these.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Sweeney absolutely nailed the hayes deal. A little over 2 per is what i was expecting.

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH

Kelly's AND the money retained in the Looch deal, so that's $5.7M of cap space, I believe.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Sweet. That leaves us roughly $5.5m cap space

That 5.5M doesn't include our back-up and reserve F+D.

Add:

G-Smith 0.6M
F-Joonas 0.7M
D-Miller/Morrow 0.6-0.8M

That is about 2M less in Cap space so ~3.5M for this lineup:

Loui-Krejci-Connolly
March-Bergy-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pastrnak
Talbot-Joonas-Kelly
Rinaldo

Chara-Trotman
Krug-McQuaid
Miller-Seids
Miller/Morrow

Rask-Smith

An easy 2.3M can be freed by trading Kelly and replacing him with any 0.7M 4th liner and next year, we get that 2.75M Lucic money and the 0.969M we are paying this year for bonuses overage so almost 3.75M. Add the Cap increase and Sweeney will be in position to get a top player via trade or signing.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Still puzzled why some people think Hayes is high. 19 goals in 72 games is nothing to scoff at today in the league. Look at comparable contracts. May I remind you 1.1m less than Smith

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Kelly's AND the money retained in the Looch deal, so that's $5.7M of cap space, I believe.

I've got a different number.

With Smith (let's say) as the backup, 12 forwards and 6 defensemen, the Bruins sit at just a hair over $68M in actual salary. They have around $1.5M in bonus money that can be deferred to next season.

Leaves them at just under $3M in ACTUAL cap SPACE on a 20 man roster.

In short, they'd likely have to move Kelly out in order to bring in a defenseman of decent caliber. And there's a good chance that they're happy with the roster as it stands.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
One of PC's biggest issues that I saw beyond overvaluing guys and poorly evaluating talent, it didn't seem like he was all that respected by the league and couldn't make a decent trade or signing to save his life[/QUOTE]

You can perhaps make a case that he overpaid on some trades and some own FA signings but I'm not sure you can honestly make the bolded statement in light of the impact that the Horton, Kelly or Peverly deals had to the Bruins' Cup success. Without either of these players we come up short in 2011 (likely out in the 1st round).

That said, I've been sitting on the sidelines and watching Sweeney's moves and have been shocked at times but also pleased to see the type of team he is building. The signings of Connelly & Hayes are both reasonable and measured. They aren't the usual deals that PC handed out like candy on Halloween. For that, I'm pleased at how the B's are shaping up. We're not a contender IMHO, but we will be much tougher to play against night in and night out. Still plenty of time to continue tweaking with the right deals & signings before the season starts.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013

As of now, Sweeny will have approximately $20M to resign Eriksson, Krug and Connoly. He can still sign a $3M D and still be in good shape to resign these players.

Last edited:

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Bottom line, is all Sweeney has to do now is move Kelly and get one of the UFA d-men signed at around $3-4M. Or take a chance on Semin for a year or 2.

Wouldn't mind Erhoff.

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
I've got a different number.

With Smith (let's say) as the backup, 12 forwards and 6 defensemen, the Bruins sit at just a hair over $68M in actual salary. They have around $1.5M in bonus money that can be deferred to next season.

Leaves them at just under $3M in ACTUAL cap SPACE on a 20 man roster.

In short, they'd likely have to move Kelly out in order to bring in a defenseman of decent caliber. And there's a good chance that they're happy with the roster as it stands.

I was referring to dredeye's cap saving the year after (when Kelly and Looch's cap hits are both off the books) as it relates to Connolly's bridge deal and having extra money to sign him to a longer term. Jean_Jacket pointed out that there will be the overage to pay for, but when it is all said and done, they have decent cap flexibility, and certainly relative to where they were before Sweeney took over!

Next year the contracts needing attention (for the following year, assuming no trades and they want to retain the players) are:

Eriksson
Krug
Connolly

And the year after that will be Marchand/Spooner/Pastrnak. Now they both have wiggle room to trade for a top-4 D or top-6 winger, bring someone over at the trade deadline, not have to blow up the roster if the salary cup goes down. I've seen teams with a lot more big-name roster **** the bed, and team with a lot less of a core succeed. I'm certainly both excited and hopeful for this year and think they will do a lot better than the doom&gloomers on this board.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I was referring to dredeye's cap saving the year after (when Kelly and Looch's cap hits are both off the books) as it relates to Connolly's bridge deal and having extra money to sign him to a longer term. Jean_Jacket pointed out that there will be the overage to pay for, but when it is all said and done, they have decent cap flexibility, and certainly relative to where they were before Sweeney took over!

Next year the contracts needing attention (for the following year, assuming no trades and they want to retain the players) are:

Eriksson
Krug
Connolly

And the year after that will be Marchand/Spooner/Pastrnak. Now they both have wiggle room to trade for a top-4 D or top-6 winger, bring someone over at the trade deadline, not have to blow up the roster if the salary cup goes down. I've seen teams with a lot more big-name roster **** the bed, and team with a lot less of a core succeed. I'm certainly both excited and hopeful for this year and think they will do a lot better than the doom&gloomers on this board.

I believe thats the time Rask's NMC goes bye bye also. Just in case one of the youngins are ready. And Chara's hit will only be 4 milion.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
For me, the most exciting thing is the six players drafted in the first two rounds and still having two 1st in next year's draft not counting that Miller guy coming in from LA.

Next year's team can't be worst. The worst is missing the playoffs, that you miss it finishing 9th or 16th, it's the same result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad