Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Hayes ([email protected]) and Connolly ([email protected])

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I love this. Sweeney might have been off to a rocky start, but imo he's definitely back on the horse and going forward fast.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Still puzzled why some people think Hayes is high. 19 goals in 72 games is nothing to scoff at today in the league. Look at comparable contracts. May I remind you 1.1m less than Smith

I still think he has plenty to prove. I was thinking 1.5-2m would be a good signing; this isn't bad at all. I hope he ups his game, and proves the "floater" accusations by Florida fans are just sour grapes.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
One of PC's biggest issues that I saw beyond overvaluing guys and poorly evaluating talent, it didn't seem like he was all that respected by the league and couldn't make a decent trade or signing to save his life

You can perhaps make a case that he overpaid on some trades and some own FA signings but I'm not sure you can honestly make the bolded statement in light of the impact that the Horton, Kelly or Peverly deals had to the Bruins' Cup success. Without either of these players we come up short in 2011 (likely out in the 1st round).

That said, I've been sitting on the sidelines and watching Sweeney's moves and have been shocked at times but also pleased to see the type of team he is building. The signings of Connelly & Hayes are both reasonable and measured. They aren't the usual deals that PC handed out like candy on Halloween. For that, I'm pleased at how the B's are shaping up. We're not a contender IMHO, but we will be much tougher to play against night in and night out. Still plenty of time to continue tweaking with the right deals & signings before the season starts.[/QUOTE]

I think, beyond the usual hyperbole on both sides, Chiarelli was able to build a SC team, but for whatever reason, be it loyalty or emotional attachment, handed out disproportionate contracts with NMC to glue guys like Kelly, Peverly, Campbell, on top of balancing Savard's LTIR every year, which caused them to move on from Boychuk, Seguin, Iginla, and now Lucic and Hamilton. There were some good contracts in there too (Bergeron, Seidenberg (before injury)) and some that were a bit high (Rask and Krejci). Basically, he can build a championship team, but struggled to maintain it.

I do like that Sweeney has been able to get a great return for Lucic, and move out Savard's contract, but make no mistake, this is not a better roster as of right now, but hopefully in two years they are mid pack and can make a run in year 3 (best case scenario).

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
That 5.5M doesn't include our back-up and reserve F+D.

Add:

G-Smith 0.6M
F-Joonas 0.7M
D-Miller/Morrow 0.6-0.8M

That is about 2M less in Cap space so ~3.5M for this lineup:

Loui-Krejci-Connolly
March-Bergy-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pastrnak
Talbot-Joonas-Kelly
Rinaldo

Chara-Trotman
Krug-McQuaid
Miller-Seids
Miller/Morrow

Rask-Smith

An easy 2.3M can be freed by trading Kelly and replacing him with any 0.7M 4th liner and next year, we get that 2.75M Lucic money and the 0.969M we are paying this year for bonuses overage so almost 3.75M. Add the Cap increase and Sweeney will be in position to get a top player via trade or signing.

Someone on the main board claims that a source (take with a pinch of salt) has told them that we staggering the Hayes payments as 2m, 2.4m, 2.5m. Interesting if true. Do we want the extra money for a new player this year? We'll have a ton of space in 16/17, as you've said

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I still think he has plenty to prove. I was thinking 1.5-2m would be a good signing; this isn't bad at all. I hope he ups his game, and proves the "floater" accusations by Florida fans are just sour grapes.

I agree I was hoping for sub $2M. It's interesting, if you read his early scouting reports, the thing about him that is almost universally praised is his work ethic. Now the whole "doesn't use his frame" critique has always been an issue so wonder if people don't confuse the two a bit.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I think he will find some snarl playing in Boston his hometown not like that other guy that just left us who doesn't have any nasty

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I agree I was hoping for sub $2M. It's interesting, if you read his early scouting reports, the thing about him that is almost universally praised is his work ethic. Now the whole "doesn't use his frame" critique has always been an issue so wonder if people don't confuse the two a bit.

Good point; if you're a big guy that isn't banging and aggressively using your size on the wall and instead playing good positional hockey around the net (and scoring goals) some people may mistake that for floating/bad work ethic.

I haven't seen enough of Hayes to say one way or the other. But we're going to find out soon enough.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH

Jimmy likes this deal.

Jimmy.jpg

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
When you score 19 goals, you're getting at the very least 2 mill per even if you only had one year of that goal total.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Some quotes I ran across:
"coaches and scouts have all been very consistent in what they’ve had to say about Hayes:Â his work ethic is unparalleled"

“Jimmy has an unbelievable attitude, he is fierce competitor, he wants to score, he wants to be good. He is like a sponge and as a coach, he takes in everything you say and is a quick learner.”
“A character kid, with a good set of hands. For his size, no question, some impressive skills. But for 6-5, he tries to get away too often with skill and doesn’t use his body"

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
I really don't know much about Hayes but if everyone says its a good deal I"m on board.

For a little perspective, here are other players who got 19 goals last year and their current contracts:

Brassard (NYR) $5m,
Marleau (SJS) $6.6m,
Oshie (STL) $4.175m,
Frolik (WPG) $4.3m,
Eakin (DAL) $1.9m (RFA next year),
Fisher (NSH) $4.4m,
Ward (WSH) $3.25m,
Pouliot (EDM) $4m,
Fehr (WSH) UFA, previously $1.5m

Obviously the total contribution of each player isn't necessarily going to be the same (assist, TOI, PK/defensive assignments), but for purely offensive output, I think the contract is extremely fair. I also trust that that his offensive role will expand with the Bruins. Put a guy that's good around the net with any one of our top 3 centers (Krejci, Bergeron, Spooner), and I can easily see 20 goals out of him.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Connolly should have ideally been 2 years... but...

Sweeney is already 50,000,000,000^2015 times better at not getting screwed in player negotiations.

Also I remember briefly hating Hayes when we played Florida, there were times he was their only noticeable player throwing hits and in the corners.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Someone on the main board claims that a source (take with a pinch of salt) has told them that we staggering the Hayes payments as 2m, 2.4m, 2.5m. Interesting if true. Do we want the extra money for a new player this year? We'll have a ton of space in 16/17, as you've said

cap hit is the average of the total over the years signed. Does not matter what the actual cash payments are in regards to the cap.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Hoping he's as good as the last floater we got from Florida

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Team is really starting to come together. A top 4 D would help, but maybe Morrow is ready who knows. I like what Sweeney has done, looked like a firesale at first but the cap is 100% improved already.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
For a little perspective, here are other players who got 19 goals last year and their current contracts:

Brassard (NYR) $5m,
Marleau (SJS) $6.6m,
Oshie (STL) $4.175m,
Frolik (WPG) $4.3m,
Eakin (DAL) $1.9m (RFA next year),
Fisher (NSH) $4.4m,
Ward (WSH) $3.25m,
Pouliot (EDM) $4m,
Fehr (WSH) UFA, previously $1.5m

Obviously the total contribution of each player isn't necessarily going to be the same (assist, TOI, PK/defensive assignments), but for purely offensive output, I think the contract is extremely fair. I also trust that that his offensive role will expand with the Bruins. Put a guy that's good around the net with any one of our top 3 centers (Krejci, Bergeron, Spooner), and I can easily see 20 goals out of him.

You forgot Looch Oh wait, he didnt get 19.
:sarcasm:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“Obviously when teams do kind of retool, it gives opportunities for guys like myself to step up and contribute and that’s what every guy wants — he wants an opportunity to play and be a contributor,†Connolly told the Bruins’ website. “Obviously it’s a fresh start, so I’m looking forward to the opportunity and I should be in a pretty good situation here this year, so I’m excited to get going.â€

Connolly will get a chance to prove that he’s worth the two second-round draft choices the Bruins sent to the Lightning to get him in March. The 23-year-old scored 12 goals and added five assists in 55 games last season between Tampa Bay and Boston, and has yet to capitalize on the talent that led to Tampa Bay drafting him sixth overall in 2010.

“There’s a lot of good players and up top, that’s obviously where you want to be,†Connolly said. “I know that’s where my game can be, so I’m excited for the opportunity. I’ve been working very hard this summer to be in the best shape possible to have a good start and come into training camp and be in good shape and be ready to play more minutes and be a contributor, help the team win. I’m excited to get down there and help them do that.â€
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...tt-connolly/JvSE1XB8MFnNRRgMndxfDK/story.html

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Solid deals.

If Hayes regresses he's not an albatross, if he elevates his game the B's win big.

Would have liked an extra year on Connolly but this certainly puts the pressure on him to deliver next year.

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
You can perhaps make a case that he overpaid on some trades and some own FA signings but I'm not sure you can honestly make the bolded statement in light of the impact that the Horton, Kelly or Peverly deals had to the Bruins' Cup success. Without either of these players we come up short in 2011 (likely out in the 1st round).

That said, I've been sitting on the sidelines and watching Sweeney's moves and have been shocked at times but also pleased to see the type of team he is building. The signings of Connelly & Hayes are both reasonable and measured. They aren't the usual deals that PC handed out like candy on Halloween. For that, I'm pleased at how the B's are shaping up. We're not a contender IMHO, but we will be much tougher to play against night in and night out. Still plenty of time to continue tweaking with the right deals & signings before the season starts.

I think, beyond the usual hyperbole on both sides, Chiarelli was able to build a SC team, but for whatever reason, be it loyalty or emotional attachment, handed out disproportionate contracts with NMC to glue guys like Kelly, Peverly, Campbell, on top of balancing Savard's LTIR every year, which caused them to move on from Boychuk, Seguin, Iginla, and now Lucic and Hamilton. There were some good contracts in there too (Bergeron, Seidenberg (before injury)) and some that were a bit high (Rask and Krejci). Basically, he can build a championship team, but struggled to maintain it.

I do like that Sweeney has been able to get a great return for Lucic, and move out Savard's contract, but make no mistake, this is not a better roster as of right now, but hopefully in two years they are mid pack and can make a run in year 3 (best case scenario).[/QUOTE]

Agreed, however I think Sweeney is not yet done shaping this roster and there's another move or two to make that will make us more competitive next year. I think that while we don't have the "sexy" names of some of our conference mates I think the team will be much more difficult to play against than we have been in the past couple of years. We have some more speed up front to allow us to get on top of opposing D in their own zone before they have time to turn up. That said, it remains to see how our D shapes up from now until the start of the season, that I believe will determine our success or failure.

Go B's!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad