Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign F Joonas Kemppainen from Finland

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Dont want to be a downer and i dont know anything about him but...Euro's aren't really known for their aggressive physical play? Kind of opposite to what Sweeney hinted at yesterday? Or this guy is a hitting fighting machine haha

That's not the case in Finland, look at Komarov for example or both Ruutu's. Those are players that hit you everytime and opponents hate them.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
So thats why there was a picture of Sweeney with Axelsson. I am sure Axe gave him the scoop on this guy. Well not a wow signing, just make the competition tougher for open spots on the roster.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Can any of the Fins in here dig up some Finnish media on the subject and hopefully some comments from Joonas himself on the matter? Thanks guys, may the sisu be with you ;)

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Thanks for the video and information. Much appreciated.

I'm actually a Kärpät-fan so he's very familiar to me. Not gonna flood this thread much more but I have to say that there couldn't be a better fit for him in the NHL than Bruins... I mean, a big, physical centerman with elite defensive skillset but can also make plays :) And by the sound of it, he can definately make the team. Really hope he plays well enough to play in this league. Would be quite a story for a 27 year old undrafted player, during past 2 seasons his career has taken an amazing turn!

HanktheHammer*

Looks like a good player. Great signing by Sweeney. I still believe Sweeney will trade Soderberg's right to another team that is extremely interested in him for a mid round pick.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Kemppainen is a very good all-around player. He is elite when it comes to defending and also has decent offensive abilities. For a big guy his skating is good and he's not afraid of going to tight spots.

I'm quite sure he'll challenge hard for a roster spot next year and earn it in some point of the season. Point expectations should be set somewhere around 20-30 though with no power-play time expected.

How are his PK skills?

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Looks like a solid fourth line option - and Finns are certainly gritty.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Can any of the Fins in here dig up some Finnish media on the subject and hopefully some comments from Joonas himself on the matter? Thanks guys, may the sisu be with you ;)

I'm sure our Media doesn't even know about this yet, it's 1.10am now.

But if tomorrow he says something I'm sure we can post it here.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Looks like a solid fourth line option - and Finns are certainly gritty.

Our team is like the Bruins, we don't have the elite talent but we never give up and hard to find a team who works harder on the ice.

Don't know if I can say this afer this years Bruins play :laugh:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
ALL FINN POSTERS: don't be shy, flood away

Karpat won the Liiga Championship.

Not sure if he was MVP or not, but he could have been.

Thanks Joe, I was thinking that considering the amount of games played, they probably do less rounds?

His linemate Joonas Donskoi was the MVP, could've been Kemppainen as well. Donskoi signed with Sharks earlier.

Thanks man. Sounds like we might have a decent little player

By the way, Kemppainen's nickname both among the fans and team mates is "Surgeon".

Love it

So thats why there was a picture of Sweeney with Axelsson. I am sure Axe gave him the scoop on this guy. Well not a wow signing, just make the competition tougher for open spots on the roster.

Huge fan of PJ. Loved it when they put him on their scouting staff. Really gives me the impression he has that cerebral way of thinking the game where he's also good at reading players and their strengths/weaknesses

Mara

May 10, 2011
Excellent two-way center. Top notch PK, very good at battling at the boards and has some eye for the game. Good at protecting the puck, but not particularly physical.
Always gives his line mates/defenders an opportunity to make an easy pass and then feeds it efficiently.

Mind you this is based on observation in the Finnish league and limited WC, so how his game translates to the small rink is a mystery.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
lol. Agreed on both counts.
----------------------------------------

Well, at least this provides some options depth wise. I don't know enough about him to know if hes a legit contender for a roster spot.

Sounds like a few of us were/are anticipating Soderberg being back next year (myself not included). .....(this signing aside) cant see how or why that would happen. ....not a shot at him, it just doesnt make sense to me.

...but that being said, if this guy is coming in on a 2 way contract, and based on the stats listed there, doesnt carry the offensive upside that was reported with soderberg, why do you guys think this means soderberg specifically is gone as a result of this?

Exactly. If Soda's gone, it's because of Spooner's emergence, not because of this signing.

But, if he makes the team - IF - like someone else said, it's more like he might take Kelly's spot. Also a centre playing wing, good defensive game, but maybe more grit and better hands.

I like that his playoff numbers last season were almost as good as his regular season #s (at least the goals - 11 vs 10). And he's 27, so he's no rookie.

Interesting to see what he brings to camp.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Finns kinda are. Anyway, Kemppainen sure is a physical player. Not the most active hitter but he throws his body around fairly often and is a beast in board battles. Like I said in another thread, the defensive side of the game is not going to be a problem. He's a late bloomer so don't pay too much attention to his career stats, he does have some offense in his game. Interesting to see if he can make it.

Good news. As Steven Harris had it in today's Herald

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...julien_wasn_t_bruins_problem_the_players_were

The Bruins need to rid themselves of Lady Bing candidates & get back to physical, intimidating play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad