Rumor: Bruins - Sharks

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
experts have been saying bostons scouting sucks for years now

no one predicted much success for Bergeron, marchand, lucic, boychuk, krejci, carlo. krug
never saw a one of them on a top 50 prospect list ever

I will trust bruins ability to get kids from amateur and turn them pro... heres a little example of the bruins record of success in this reguard

marchand/Bergeron/pastrnak {all home grown best line in hockey}
debrusk/krejci/wheeler {yes wheeler is a kid we turned pro}
lucic/seguin/kessel {you might not like lucic with these 2... luckily we got lots of options}
sobotka/kuraly/accari {we have 8-9 guys we could put here}

grezlyck/mcavoy
krug/carlo
lauzon/Hamilton {dougie is one of ours too}

couple young Norris candidates

and we got rask for our goalie

seems to me boston does ok with our bottom ranked prospect pool

Marchand- Great pick/development

Bergeron-was in the 2nd rd in 03 long long time ago. And one of the deepest drafts ever. Still great pick/development

Pastrnak-Great pick/development

Debrusk-was in 2015, another deep draft. Plenty of players drafted before him and after him that are better/NHL caliber

Krejci-great pick/development. But a long time ago

Lucic-great pick/development

Seguin-no brainer

Kessel-Bruins wanted Backstrom bad. Some called Kessel the american Crosby pre-draft. Another no brainer

Wheeler-top draft pick that used a loophole to be a FA. Boston would've been silly not to sign a player of his pedigree for free especially when they were in a rebuilding stage.

You went back to 03 to get credit for Bergeron, so it took them from 03 until Hamilton and then McAvoy to find a top pairing caliber defensemen.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
So the Bruins want Jumbo Joe back after this long? If I were Joe I would tell them where to stick it.

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
That brings me back to 1986 when scouting I guess sucked bad for Boston. Trade: Barry Pederson for a young Cam Neely and a first round pick. Well, let’s just say that’s a gift that keeps on giving to this day. So you can keep Meirs and will keep our none top prospects.

Ill trust the experts on them. Im yet to see any scouts say that about those two. Its easy to be biased towards your own guys

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
If we trade for thornton we are punting on the stanley cup this year. That tells me they are OK with once again not adding a top 6 scoring talent for krejci's wing and just throwing coyle or kuhlman in their as patchwork. Now if they chased after meirer that would be a different story.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Marchand- Great pick/development

Bergeron-was in the 2nd rd in 03 long long time ago. And one of the deepest drafts ever. Still great pick/development

Pastrnak-Great pick/development

Debrusk-was in 2015, another deep draft. Plenty of players drafted before him and after him that are better/NHL caliber

Krejci-great pick/development. But a long time ago

Lucic-great pick/development

Seguin-no brainer

Kessel-Bruins wanted Backstrom bad. Some called Kessel the american Crosby pre-draft. Another no brainer

Wheeler-top draft pick that used a loophole to be a FA. Boston would've been silly not to sign a player of his pedigree for free especially when they were in a rebuilding stage.

You went back to 03 to get credit for Bergeron, so it took them from 03 until Hamilton and then McAvoy to find a top pairing caliber defensemen.

no... I looked at the players currently playing in the nhl… i said who did they play their first game with

sorry it makes boston look like genius and easily the most successful drafting team in the nhl… must be really difficult for you to be proud of the team for a change

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
no... I looked at the players currently playing in the nhl… i said who did they play their first game with

sorry it makes boston look like genius and easily the most successful drafting team in the nhl… must be really difficult for you to be proud of the team for a change

There's no point in quoting someone if you aren't going to respond to what was said.

Also Re: Bolded, They have 1 cup win in like almost 50 years. Let's relax on that a bit.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
you clearly didn’t watch the Habs last night.

Actually I did. He was no worse than DeBrusk. Basically
same stat line for SOG/Hits/+-

Had several nice passes resulting in an effective zone entry or two.

Given his team lost 4-1 the plus/minus is a good thing.

You make it sound like he took a hooking, tripping and slashing penalty, coughed the puck and refused to pass.

If you can come up with a top 6 guy for Krejci that makes under $1M and will cost you worst case a 2nd round pick, I'm all ears.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
absolutely ridiculous to compare some kid in the ahl to a very possible first ballot hof guy...

that said if you own something you can ask whatever you want in a trade... doesnt mean someone else has to pay

for example... if im selling my house... I can ask a million dollars. and ... maybe theres 30 buyers and 29 say they wouldnt give me a penny over 300k...

but if even that 1 lone remaining buyer says he will give me a million dollars than I got what I demanded and it doesnt matter what the so-called experts said was the value.

if im king of the world... im not moving studnicka unless the buyer values him like I do

Come on!!! Your house example is atrocious. Unless your advertisingi n 4 Sale By Owner, no Real Estate Agent in their right mind is going to waste their time with you. They will tell you to take a hike.

In reality you will get no one even bothering to even drive by your property on 4 Sale by Owner and they probably
wouldn't take your ad...lol.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

I don't know if that has any relevance to their prospect pool right now though?

If we're relying on "expert opinions", the Bruins group of prospects isn't going to stack up with most others. Largely as a result of simply not having sexy lottery picks that "experts" and fans recognize and gravitate towards.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Meier is not worth a top pair D man at this point in his
career. His value isn't any higher than DeBrusk's.

Meier takes waaaaaay more penalties than DeBrusk.
Averages about 16 more minor penalties than DeBrusk
which nets out to roughly deducting 3 goals off
his net output.
His value is most certainly higher than DeBrusk.
Timo also has 7 less hits this year than DeBrusk has in his career, doesn't miss 10 games a year like DeBrusk, and also doesn't have a super sheltered 65% career o zone start like DeBrusk.

Timo is a lot more physical, gets way more defensive starts, doesn't miss significant time every year like DeBrusk, and puts up more points.

DeBrusk is a fine player and all, but to say he's as good as Timo on the pretext of penalities taken is a farce.

We're not going to trade a 23 year old first line power forward for a prospect who only has middle pairing upside and only has a chance of getting there. If he is available and you don't want to offer a prospect at that level, fine, because someone else will.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I could see something like Backes and a 2020 1st from Boston for Joe Thornton plus another roster piece. The Sharks aren't trading Timo.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Timo also has 7 less hits this year than DeBrusk has in his career, doesn't miss 10 games a year like DeBrusk, and also doesn't have a super sheltered 65% career o zone start like DeBrusk.

Timo is a lot more physical, gets way more defensive starts, doesn't miss significant time every year like DeBrusk, and puts up more points.

DeBrusk is a fine player and all, but to say he's as good as Timo on the pretext of penalities taken is a farce.

We're not going to trade a 23 year old first line power forward for a prospect who only has middle pairing upside and only has a chance of getting there. If he is available and you don't want to offer a prospect at that level, fine, because someone else will.

Well I absolutely wouldn't trade Lauzon and DeBrusk
for Meier.

Meier literally will never be getting 1st line minutes in Boston on RW and won't get 1st line minutes on LW
for the next two. So that means David Krejci will be
his center.

Who was his center when he scored 30? Was it Couture, or Thornton?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Over the last three seasons (I'll exclude Meier's 6 point rookie year):

MeierDeBrusk
Games215191
Goals6961
Goals/G0.320.32
Points139119
Points/G0.650.62
TOI/G16:1515:32
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lets just say as an offensive contributor and goal scorer, he's on basically on par with Meier. Same age, same draft, similar path. Personally I think Jake is a more natural goal scorer and he lives in the dirty areas, even if he's not a guy who throws his weight around. I don't have a problem with someone saying Meier has more value. Perfectly reasonable. I think a lot of Bruins fans are basing their offers based on what they would expect to get for DeBrusk if traded today. I don't think that's unreasonable either. It would certainly take something significant to even begin listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWayToRefJose

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well I absolutely wouldn't trade Lauzon and DeBrusk
for Meier.

Meier literally will never be getting 1st line minutes in Boston on RW and won't get 1st line minutes on LW
for the next two. So that means David Krejci will be
his center.

Who was his center when he scored 30? Was it Couture, or Thornton?
Great. Just because you’re a homer doesn’t mean anything about Meier.

also something for people to figure out

VALUE IS NOT THE SAME AS NEED

NEED IS NOT THE SAME AS VALUE

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Great. Just because you’re a homer doesn’t mean anything about Meier.

also something for people to figure out

VALUE IS NOT THE SAME AS NEED

NEED IS NOT THE SAME AS VALUE

I'll give it a try.:naughty:

It all depends on how much need you have to know the value of your need.

What one team values may not be a need of another team

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'll give it a try.:naughty:

It all depends on how much need you have to know the value of your need.

What one team values may not be a need of another team
But just because it’s not a need doesn’t lower the value to the team trading the asset. If it’s not a need, yes value for the acquiring team may be less but there’s absolutely no reason for the trading team to accept half the value.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
But just because it’s not a need doesn’t lower the value to the team trading the asset. If it’s not a need, yes value for the acquiring team may be less but there’s absolutely no reason for the trading team to accept half the value.

its called Asset Management :thumbu:

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
That brings me back to 1986 when scouting I guess sucked bad for Boston. Trade: Barry Pederson for a young Cam Neely and a first round pick. Well, let’s just say that’s a gift that keeps on giving to this day. So you can keep Meirs and will keep our none top prospects.
Great! You have fun with that.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Thornton and a 3rd for Backes

JJ is on his last leg while David can still play for a few more years.
I still wouldn’t make this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad