Rumor: Bruins - Sharks

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why the hell would SJ trade Meier for anything less than a fortune ?

Look at their UFA-to-be, and perhaps some 'around 30-ish' guys on contracts, not those they'll use to rebuild with.

He is their only key player other than Lebanc who can be moved. Most have very restrictive NTCs.

Maybe they want to send a message by making a big change in the room.

San Jose has also traditionally been a desirable UFA destination. So freeing up 6M assuming it is Meier for futures puts them in a position to further their return by signing a big UFA.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He is their only key player other than Lebanc who can be moved. Most have very restrictive NTCs.

Maybe they want to send a message by making a big change in the room.

San Jose has also traditionally been a desirable UFA destination. So freeing up 6M assuming it is Meier for futures puts them in a position to further their return by signing a big UFA.

San Jose has not been traditionally a desirable UFA destination. San Jose is the place where players have to be dealt there and be sold on it by being there before deciding to stay there.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
San Jose has not been traditionally a desirable UFA destination. San Jose is the place where players have to be dealt there and be sold on it by being there before deciding to stay there.
The only important UFA's that have signed with us are Joel Ward and Paul Martin. We are very attractive to European FA's, but not NHL ones

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

We have literally never signed a big UFA in franchise history, I have no idea where this misconception came from

The closest we ever came was John Tavares and he took $14M dollars less to sign elsewhere

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
Boston would probably due Zboril plus a 3rd round for Labanc. This would keep the Neely tree growing.

I wonder if something like Backes+1st+Zboril/Lauko/Frederic+maybe 3rdish pick for Labanc would work. Basically first to get rid of Backes and a B level prospect and pick for Labanc. Don’t know how I feel about it though. Might not be enough for Labanc. It’s hard to find a fit because Labanc is so streaky and so it easily could come back to bite us or the Bruins in the butt.

I could see Labanc signed for around 3.5-4.5M on a bridge.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
What the **** is this? Backes isn’t even in the NHL and you claim he can still play.

It's not so much he can't play, but for what he gives us we are better off playing young players like Bjork. Granted he has lost a step but I think he is still a viable 4C for a team.... at 6 million dollars. :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's not so much he can't play, but for what he gives us we are better off playing young players like Bjork. Granted he has lost a step but I think he is still a viable 4C for a team.... at 6 million dollars. :sarcasm:

And if the Bruins could offload that final year and rent Jumbo this year, they would take that deal in a heartbeat no matter what grudges certain Bruins' fans may still hold with Thornton. They still don't even have to play Thornton to do that deal and anyone arguing otherwise is fooling themselves.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Zucker trade has proven that those guys are a little more costly

Seeing as Gally had little value (if not a flat out cap dump) a 1st + top prospect is what Zucker fetched. I'd rather send a package like that for Palmieri who fills a need for a goal scorer vs someone like Lebanc.

Reactions: wintersej

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Seeing as Gally had little value (if not a flat out cap dump) a 1st + top prospect is what Zucker fetched. I'd rather send a package like that for Palmieri who fills a need for a goal scorer vs someone like Lebanc.
Fair enough but the cost will be higher. Labanc has the same amount of points as Zucker,and is much younger and cheaper.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Fair enough but the cost will be higher. Labanc has the same amount of points as Zucker,and is much younger and cheaper.

He's a pending RFA and will be do for a raise in the off-season. As for numbers, I like larger samples sizes myself and typically look at the last two full season + the current season. Based on that each guy's per game average since 2017-2018 that would put them around the following over 82 games:

Labanc - 19G / 32A
Zucker - 27G / 27A

So while their points are close, Zucker is a better goal scorer and that's always going to command a premium price in the NHL. Now outside just the scoring numbers, Zucker has thrown more hits during this time frame, blocked nearly twice as many shots and is a +41 in Tk/Gv ratio (compared to Labanc at -27 Tk/Gv ratio) with Labanc playing in 6 more games.

I can't say I agree that Labanc's cost would be higher, but to each their own.

Reactions: wintersej

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He's a pending RFA and will be do for a raise in the off-season. As for numbers, I like larger samples sizes myself and typically look at the last two full season + the current season. Based on that each guy's per game average since 2017-2018 that would put them around the following over 82 games:

Labanc - 19G / 32A
Zucker - 27G / 27A

So while their points are close, Zucker is a better goal scorer and that's always going to command a premium price in the NHL. Now outside just the scoring numbers, Zucker has thrown more hits during this time frame, blocked nearly twice as many shots and is a +41 in Tk/Gv ratio (compared to Labanc at -27 Tk/Gv ratio) with Labanc playing in 6 more games.

I can't say I agree that Labanc's cost would be higher, but to each their own.
I didnt say it would be higher, I said it would be very similar. Studnicka and a first is just about equal to Addison and a first

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I didnt say it would be higher, I said it would be very similar. Studnicka and a first is just about equal to Addison and a first

Again to each their own. Zucker is a better goal scorer, more physical presence, blocks more shots and doesn't turnover the puck as much. If SJ got someone to give a 1st + top prospect then it would be a great deal for them. For me, Labanc doesn't fill the need Boston has for a goal scoring #2RW and I wouldn't offer up a 1st + top prospect for him when for a little extra I can go after someone like Palmieri.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. Thanks for the chat though and have a good night.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ya I have, take off your Teal tinted glasses and take a closer look at choking Joe, slow and just doesn’t care.
Yes. He doesn’t care at all you’re right. We’d be lucky to get a 7th for any of our players. It’s not like we have a guy making 6 million a f***ing year in the god damn AHL. Take off your yellow colored glasses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad