Post-Game Talk: Bruins Scratch the Panthers 4-1

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Claude didn't bench him, did he? He was right back out there and smoked Weaver while Krejci had him tied up.

Makes my point that they count on him too much to be out of the lineup regardless of whether or not Clode wanted to bench him. In my previous statement I meant to say could have benched, not benching. my apologies.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
What Lucic did was how a real power forward acts. They go over the top with their physicality when they're angry because that's who they are and what makes them great.

And I really do not blame him.

The refs let other team's players get by with illegal hits, and other team's are going to not only get cheap with Lucic but with Krejci as well.

Lucic isn't going to draw the penalty, so he might as well put the fear of God into the guy who committed it, so he might think twice before trying it again.

Shoot I don't much blame him for being ticked off even if the penalty had been called. My guess is the Panthers are far more scared of Lucic's fist than a 2 minute PP (especially since contrary to the 1/1 PP today the Bruins' power play generally sucks).

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Refs have a CLEAR bias against Lucic. It's very evident they have been told to keep him on a short leash, especially after the '11 Stanley Cup season.

Not to start needlessly bantering but can you source this? I have yet to see alot of it.

I will reiterate, Lucic is playing well enough to the point where he doesn't need to cross check a guy who just boarded him. Get him back in the next play by making another instead of the response he made tonight.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Not to start needlessly bantering but can you source this? I have yet to see alot of it.

I will reiterate, Lucic is playing well enough to the point where he doesn't need to cross check a guy who just boarded him. Get him back in the next play by making another instead of the response he made tonight.

The source: my eyes. I suggest you open yours.

You act out against a bad hit/play the moment it happens. You don't wait. That's how you gain respect for your toughness/intimidation/standing as a great power forward.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Good.

Angry Lucic is engaged Lucic. Engaged Lucic is a dominant hockey player.

Not to mention that he had every right in the world to lose his **** over that stupid non-call, and I'd say that about anyone.

It worked for Cam and it works for Milan. Personally I enjoy when he's engaged and invested in the game and not a spectator. Since his ankle has seemed to heal and he became a new dad he has the feel of a full-on adult and is playing some increasingly committed hockey. If he can somehow carry this attitude adjustment to the playoffs without getting burned out or injured we'll see an incredible playoff.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Lucic is best playing with an edge. Don't try to tame him. He is not a turn the other cheek player. Its how the NHL used to be. Hes like a Clowe or a Chris Stewart. You let those players do their thing. They cant help it.

Part of Lucics intimidation factor is he has a screw loose at times. Not someone you want to cross on the ice. I love seeing that.

Guys like you call him out when hes not showing emotion. Then he does and that's a problem too.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The source: my eyes. I suggest you open yours.

You act out against a bad hit/play the moment it happens. You don't wait. That's how you gain respect for your toughness/intimidation/standing as a great power forward.

Perfect example of a menacing player who has a screw loose every now and then. A little crazy in them. :laugh:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Lucic is best playing with an edge. Don't try to tame him. He is not a turn the other cheek player. Its how the NHL used to be. Hes like a Clowe or a Chris Stewart. You let those players do their thing. They cant help it.

Part of Lucics intimidation factor is he has a screw loose at times. Not someone you want to cross on the ice. I love seeing that.

Guys like you call him out when hes not showing emotion. Then he does and that's a problem too.

I like how the intimation is that he should have turned the other cheek like it was a facewash or an open ice hit. It was an effing boarding. Personally I'm glad Lucic pummeled the stiff and blew his gasket. Nice way to draw attention to what a plug Chris Lee is. And as most (Lou especially) can attest to, I tend to side more often with the just play the game crowd, but boarding is so friggin dangerous and all Weaver saw was the 1-7. He deserved what he got, and I'm glad he got it right away. If Lucic waits and goes after him LATER he opens him up to an premeditated, suspendable offense later in the game as he seethes about it.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Man you really need to drop the "everyone's against us card" Shanny deals with each case independently and irrelevant to the situation at hand. Lucic didn't make the same hit and don't assume something because of your aforementioned unfounded bias that refs have something against Looch or the Bruins, whichever you meant.

It's not the "everyone's against us card". You're missing the point entirely. Lucic had good reason to; 1. Be irate at Weaver for taking a cheap shot that could have hurt him. 2. The ref completely blew the call, or somehow decided checking someone face first into the boards suddenly wasn't a "zero tolerance" issue in the NHL. Thus shocking Lucic so much so, he stopped beating on Weaver b/c he couldn't believe his ears.

Since you brought it up, Lucic has been on the end of some very bad calls. And, one could make a case that refs look the other way when it's #17 Black. Furthermore, nail him to the wall if he farts off key.

Care to explain why Mair wasn't called for hitting Lucic WAY late?

Care to explain why Lucic was given a match penalty, which had to be rescinded after the game?

Lucic does make a similar hit. Difference is, Spacek isn't facing the boards until after he dished the puck, and Lucic committed to the hit. He got 5, did he not? This was playoffs.

This is a shoulder to shoulder hit. Despite that, he was reviewed and suspended. This was called boarding. If THIS is boarding, what happened to Lucic today?

If I was Lucic, I'd be lighting up the ref, too. Wasn't it Lucic that also got a unsportsmanlike for yapping w/ Rupp? You do realize how much talking goes on out there, right? For a 1st line forward, they're pretty quick on the trigger when it comes to Looch. Want to argue otherwise? Go ahead, b/c you're doing really good so far!

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
I am. Coulda taken the penalty and gone on the PP there and instead gave us a four minute PK. A double minor because he lost his cool. I understand why he went after him but the best way to turn that situation around is to take the penalty or, if it weren't called, an even strength goal.

Hurt 'em where it counts, on the scoreboard
This is a very "Canuck" way of looking at things.

We won a Cup by not taking any **** and playing Bruins hockey.

I'll take Lucic's penalty everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, ESPECIALLY in a routine Sunday afternoon game in February in Florida.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I did not lol. I'm pretty outspoken about how I feel about Lucic. Taking double minors when you are a legit first line player to me rarely seems justifiable. He's too valuable right now to the B's to be in the box for that long and put us shorthanded for four full minutes.

WWCD - what would Cam do?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Perfect example of a menacing player who has a screw loose every now and then. A little crazy in them. :laugh:

Please. Cam didn't facewash people after whistles. He grabbed your head like a softball and tried to throw it into loge. Like I said, today's fans couldn't deal w/ Neely. Lucic has a bachelors in mean and nasty. Cam had a PhD.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.

Your'e right, he should not have cross checked him...

....he should have dropped his mitts and thrown Weaver over the ****ing glass.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's not the "everyone's against us card". You're missing the point entirely. Lucic had good reason to; 1. Be irate at Weaver for taking a cheap shot that could have hurt him. 2. The ref completely blew the call, or somehow decided checking someone face first into the boards suddenly wasn't a "zero tolerance" issue in the NHL. Thus shocking Lucic so much so, he stopped beating on Weaver b/c he couldn't believe his ears.

Since you brought it up, Lucic has been on the end of some very bad calls. And, one could make a case that refs look the other way when it's #17 Black. Furthermore, nail him to the wall if he farts off key.

Care to explain why Mair wasn't called for hitting Lucic WAY late?

Care to explain why Lucic was given a match penalty, which had to be rescinded after the game?

Lucic does make a similar hit. Difference is, Spacek isn't facing the boards until after he dished the puck, and Lucic committed to the hit. He got 5, did he not? This was playoffs.

This is a shoulder to shoulder hit. Despite that, he was reviewed and suspended. This was called boarding. If THIS is boarding, what happened to Lucic today?

If I was Lucic, I'd be lighting up the ref, too. Wasn't it Lucic that also got a unsportsmanlike for yapping w/ Rupp? You do realize how much talking goes on out there, right? For a 1st line forward, they're pretty quick on the trigger when it comes to Looch. Want to argue otherwise? Go ahead, b/c you're doing really good so far!

Even the going back to the series against the habs a few years back when he got 1 game for "cross-checking" Yapierre meanwhile Komi hits Lucic considerably more blatantly and gets no supplemental. Granted the Scabs were in the waning moments of getting swept, but suspensions have carried over before.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

Unfortunately most of us disagree with you...and you're bantering again!

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor
I am. Coulda taken the penalty and gone on the PP there and instead gave us a four minute PK. A double minor because he lost his cool. I understand why he went after him but the best way to turn that situation around is to take the penalty or, if it weren't called, an even strength goal.

Hurt 'em where it counts, on the scoreboard
--------------

At the end of the day, the scoreboard is what counts.

But Lucic is intimidating because he is Lucic. Like it or not, that player is the reason why they added big money to his contract. And at the end of the day, having Lucic brings more V than defeat - and that is what counts!

Lucic will sometimes overpass the line. The Bruins know it, most of the fans knows it and more important, opponents knows it and that is intimidating. Ask the Bruins player if they prefer playing with or against Lucic.

So when he trespasses the line, PK needs to step up. When opponnents trespasses the edge against, DK, PB, Seguin, Lucic is one that needs to step up.

On todays event, the no call on that boarding is unacceptable. It ain't possible that they (ref) did not see it. Lucic took care, and thats it!. Like it or not.

saskbruin44*

Some darn good highlights if you catch 'em.

Seguin's Bergeron impression
UNREAL goal by Chara
The Lucic meatheadness

Boys hung in there. Nice to leave Florida with four points!

Hmmm,I've been lurking for years on this site,noticed you changed your username,still see you are still griping about Lucic.

Now I'm worried that my critism,and the fact you're a mod......:help:

ryedog*

Not that we need one to know, but can we set up a poll?

Am quite sure it'd be 99% in favour of what Looch did.

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
Yeah, Lucic lost his cool.

And yes, he could have walked away from it.

But gosh darn it, I like when Looch is a 'meathead'. :)

The penalties incurred are a small token to pay for the effect on the psyche of the other team.

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
The Panthers were clearly intimidated by Lucic tonight. You could see them shying away from hits when he was coming. The only way they could respond was with bushleague tactics.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Hmmm,I've been lurking for years on this site,noticed you changed your username,still see you are still griping about Lucic.

Now I'm worried that my critism,and the fact you're a mod......:help:

hehehe don't you worry. I will never hold it against you. I'm open to all rational opinions and I know exactly how our fanbase here tends to act, rightfully and wrongfully. This board often tends to be a good place of debate(sometimes not too;)) and I for one respect many of those poster's comments in regards to the situation however correct or incorrect they may be.

Ultimately, I just tend to disagree with most of our fan base in regards to Lucic's role. Earlier in his career he served as that young player he would scratch and claw his way into a roster spot as well being one of our premiere prospect. Now, I've softened my stance a bit and seen him develop into quite a good all-around player. He's willing to be tough while being a constant part of our offense. This I guess, is where I philosophically disagree. I give him more respect now than I ever did before and rightfully so because he's earned his way into being an integral part of the offense. He's invaluable and I'm quite certain that I undervalue him a bit. This could definitely be the case.

For the most part people are tending to think that just because I would like Lucic to ease off in situations such as these i.e. attacking a player who just committed a gutless act, that I think he should lose his edge. I have never said that, nor would I adhere to it. Lucic is always going to be a force. Later on in most cases, he'll throw a big hit or contribute to the offense and make a play. He's become a player that the Bruins depend on. Take a penalty because he was angry is how you sit in the box and do nothing but leave your team shorthanded, literally. Otherwise, he can contribute in other ways.

Case in point, earlier this season against Winnipeg, second game of the season, Lucic was struggling. And poorly I might add. So he took to the physical game and threw his weight around. That is the crux of my argument. The fact that doesn't need to take needless penalties to exert his physical force. It's widely publicized, known, and generally regarded as what makes him such an effective player. That type of play lends itself to being way more effective than getting boarded, turning around, crosschecking the culprit and taking a penalty while tacking on some more minutes.

I will leave the conversation as I stated previously, I think most others would tend to agree with my sentiments. I'm not saying all, but alot do. That type of situation is uncalled for and crosschecking a player because you are angry, whining to the refs, getting extended penalty minutes is not the way to best help your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad