Post-Game Talk: Bruins Scratch the Panthers 4-1

Kaoz*

As a guy that admittedly often looks for the bad in Krejci's game, I thought he was very solid last night. Liked his game much. Smart plays, nothing too cute, never put anyone in a bad position trying to force the puck into places where it won't go easily.

Loved Seguins game as well. Kid is a gem. The offense will come, but this adherence to his own end and neutral zone is remarkable especially considering it doesn't come naturally.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
IMO it's hard to say that when a guy gets pushed head first into the boards like that. It's not us. Players will react differently. Lucic does that once or twice a year most..it's how he's wired. It's not going to change. Claude likes his players to act robotic at times, but it's not going to happen with him. It's what makes Lucic the player he is.

I totally admit it's easier for me to say what I said to do while sitting here on the couch the next morning - I'm not sure how differently I'd have reacted in the heat of the moment like Lucic was.

I just think that it was a poorly called game (fans of both teams are lamenting how horribly the officiating was) so at some point Lucic has to dial it down and vent less. Like you said, people chirp from the box all the time ... so Lucic must have done more or said something worse than the average player does.

Honestly, if there wasn't the shad of grey that I'm trying to paint, I'd have preferred him over-reacting than under-reacting; him flipping out and drilling the guy is assuredly better than meekly skating away. I just wish he'd have done the thing that was best for the B's - it didn't matter in a meaningless February game in Florida, but it might've mattered if it happened in another game against another team.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Love Julien's quote from the Lucic incident. Total bad ass.

Some people were waiting for the Bruins to get their anger back into their game, and based on Lucic's actions and even Julien's quote there, it may have finally happened.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
As a guy that admittedly often looks for the bad in Krejci's game, I thought he was very solid last night. Liked his game much. Smart plays, nothing too cute, never put anyone in a bad position trying to force the puck into places where it won't go easily.

Loved Seguins game as well. Kid is a gem. The offense will come, but this adherence to his own end and neutral zone is remarkable especially considering it doesn't come naturally.

The only thing missing from Seguin's game right now is the ability to hit the net with a shot. He's missing high and wide every damn time. Otherwise I think he's been really strong, and even threw his weight around a few times last night.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
The only thing missing from Seguin's game right now is the ability to hit the net with a shot. He's missing high and wide every damn time. Otherwise I think he's been really strong, and even threw his weight around a few times last night.

He's getting closer. He hit the crossbar last night;)

Any bets on what Seguin and Marchand were doing rock, paper and scissors on the bench for? Mine is who pays for the first round.

Kaoz*

Something you often see with offensively gifted players... when they focus their efforts elsewhere the offense tends to slide.

I want the goals to start coming, and they will, but the kids being a lot smarter with the puck regardless. He actually changed speeds a couple of times last night his cycle game was solid. All the things he needs to do to become one of the leagues premier forwards are already in his toolbox... he just needs to learn how to use them.

And the offense is still there, just the goal scoring. 10 points in 15 games isn't all that bad :)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
From Claude:

“When I looked at it between periods it appeared to be a cross-check and he wasn’t close to the boards,†said Claude Julien. “We felt that maybe there could have been an original call. We should have been on the power play rather than killing off a penalty for four minutes.

“That’s Milan showing his character. We like him for what he is. He was just reacting to what he thought was a dangerous play on him. I’ll accept that and so will the team. As you saw we made sure that we killed it off.â€

Bumping for emphasis and adding link.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/non-call-infuriates-lucic-win-over-panthers

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
He's getting closer. He hit the crossbar last night;)

Any bets on what Seguin and Marchand were doing rock, paper and scissors on the bench for? Mine is who pays for the first round.

Who gets first, second, and third pick of the group of women they bring back from the bar.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
The Lucic issue has been beaten to death, but I will say that an honest ref would have recognized he blew the call and left Lucic to stew for his 4 minutes.

The period was all but over, and the ref blew the call badly.

Lucic would have taken his 4 minutes had Weaver collected his 2, but I would have been ticked at the non call. Not to mention guys get injured on hits like that-it is why the league wants to take them out of the game.

The ref was thin skinned and didn't like being told he blew the call.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Lucic should have put his face through the glass. Nothing meatheaded about what he did, at all...there's an argument for him keeping his mouth shut to avoid the 10, but what he did on the ice was completely justified.

Agreed. I have no problem with Lucic wanting/trying to beat the snot out of that motherbleeping Weaver, Weaver had it coming all the way. I do have a problem with Looch running his yap at the ref to the point where he got a 10 minute penalty for it. That was just stupid on Lucic's part.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

The highlights never showed Lucic running his yap just being pissed in the box

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I did not lol. I'm pretty outspoken about how I feel about Lucic. Taking double minors when you are a legit first line player to me rarely seems justifiable. He's too valuable right now to the B's to be in the box for that long and put us shorthanded for four full minutes.

Looch had every right to be pissed. Even the coach thought so.

Love the passion Looch brings.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Agreed. I have no problem with Lucic wanting/trying to beat the snot out of that motherbleeping Weaver, Weaver had it coming all the way. I do have a problem with Looch running his yap at the ref to the point where he got a 10 minute penalty for it. That was just stupid on Lucic's part.

As a ref, I can tell you, you know when you've blown a call. When you know that, you try to explain as best you can, but then you stand there and take it. And yes, you do know the difference between when your judgement was different from the players, and when you blew the call. You don't completely blow a call like that, then give a guy more for pointing it out. That's just bad reffing - which explains why it was Chris Lee.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
As a ref, I can tell you, you know when you've blown a call. When you know that, you try to explain as best you can, but then you stand there and take it. And yes, you do know the difference between when your judgement was different from the players, and when you blew the call. You don't completely blow a call like that, then give a guy more for pointing it out. That's just bad reffing - which explains why it was Chris Lee.

This all makes so much more sense now.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Love Julien's quote from the Lucic incident. Total bad ass.

Some people were waiting for the Bruins to get their anger back into their game, and based on Lucic's actions and even Julien's quote there, it may have finally happened.

Despite the Bruins 11-2-2 start, this is what's been missing in the B's game so far this season. I think it will only help the Bruins going forward. Thanks Looch!

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Obviously if the Bruins were losing, we'd all be a lot harder on Seguin right now for not hitting the back of the net so it's easy to be happy with the other areas of his game.

With that said, I'm REALLY happy with those areas. The back checking, the cycling, and he's throwing his weight in the corners a lot more consistently. I love to see that

The best part is that he doesn't seem to be beating himself up over it too much. I smiled when at the end of the game he gave a quick little face wash to Kelly and had a huge grin on his face. He's definitely a team player and I love to see that. :)

I keep saying it and I hope the day comes sooner rather than later but.. once Seguin starts finding the net with those shots.. it's going to be extremely tough to beat the Bruins.. moreso than it already is without his goal scoring.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Perhaps Lee didnt know he'd blown it- if he didn't see it he can't call it, can he? So for all he knew Looch was just being a dbag about it. And if that was the case I would have whistled him for 10 too.

I'm no defender of NHL officiating believe me. I firmly believe it must be improved and be more consistent. But in this instance Lucic should have shut his mouth and then pounded the snot out of Weaver on his next shift. If nothing else it would have been a hell of a lot more fun to watch :laugh:

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
cute little game yesterday. Zdeno samsonov with a play that would make Segs proud, and Segs with a defensive play that would make Z proud.

Not sure what the consensus is on the Looch incident since i just got here but he should have kept his yap shut and not gotten the 10. No biggie. but if you're gonna get 10, might as well get 2, 5, and 10 and really mess that kid up.

And looky looky, we are now in THIRD place in the league for road PP % at a white hot 29%. We own the man advantage on the road. :laugh:

Lovin what Segs brings to the game. I still say CJ should thrown him on the PK so he can have a chance at a shorty. THAT'LL get him going lighting the lamp.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
The Lucic thing is simple to me: if the referees won't use penalties as a tool to protect the players, then it's up to the players to police themselves. Lucic (and anyone else not a wuss or Panthers fan) recognized it as a dangerous play. Since the refs failed to do their job, Lucic did it for them.

Since a hit like that took a year+ from Bergeron, I have zero problem with players taking an exception to it.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I am still waiting for Clode or Chia to go in front media and say flat out NHL refs are screwing them over.Fine or not.Shed light on it.Its the truth.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Perhaps Lee didnt know he'd blown it- if he didn't see it he can't call it, can he? So for all he knew Looch was just being a dbag about it. And if that was the case I would have whistled him for 10 too.

I'm no defender of NHL officiating believe me. I firmly believe it must be improved and be more consistent. But in this instance Lucic should have shut his mouth and then pounded the snot out of Weaver on his next shift. If nothing else it would have been a hell of a lot more fun to watch :laugh:

If Lee didn't see it, there were 3 other zebras there to go to Lee and say "hey, we totally blew that so lets let him blow off some steam huh?"

It's easy to armchair this situation and say that Lucic should have been more composed but it was a chain of circumstances that I'm not sure how anyone could have reacted any better. The dude could have seriously gotten hurt off of a cheap shot and then he finds out Weaver got off scott free.. then there's a double minor on himself.. I would flip out in the box too.

In retrospect, yeah.. maybe I would cool off and realize that by flipping out I could be hurting my team.. but in the moment? No way. I don't blame Lucic at all. Even if FLA scored twice on that double minor and the game got out of hand stemming from that incident, I would still back Lucic for his reaction there. That's just me though

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Obviously if the Bruins were losing, we'd all be a lot harder on Seguin right now for not hitting the back of the net so it's easy to be happy with the other areas of his game.

With that said, I'm REALLY happy with those areas. The back checking, the cycling, and he's throwing his weight in the corners a lot more consistently. I love to see that

The best part is that he doesn't seem to be beating himself up over it too much. I smiled when at the end of the game he gave a quick little face wash to Kelly and had a huge grin on his face. He's definitely a team player and I love to see that. :)

I keep saying it and I hope the day comes sooner rather than later but.. once Seguin starts finding the net with those shots.. it's going to be extremely tough to beat the Bruins.. moreso than it already is without his goal scoring.

Seguin is still a kid! He just turned 21, and although he already has a Stanley Cup ring on his finger, he still has a lot to learn in the NHL, and the more he learns, the better he'll get.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
If Lee didn't see it, there were 3 other zebras there to go to Lee and say "hey, we totally blew that so lets let him blow off some steam huh?"

It's easy to armchair this situation and say that Lucic should have been more composed but it was a chain of circumstances that I'm not sure how anyone could have reacted any better. The dude could have seriously gotten hurt off of a cheap shot and then he finds out Weaver got off scott free.. then there's a double minor on himself.. I would flip out in the box too.

In retrospect, yeah.. maybe I would cool off and realize that by flipping out I could be hurting my team.. but in the moment? No way. I don't blame Lucic at all. Even if FLA scored twice on that double minor and the game got out of hand stemming from that incident, I would still back Lucic for his reaction there. That's just me though

I watched the game on DVR today and the referee was looking right at the Weaver hit, from less than 15 feet away. No excuse whatsoever for blowing that call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad