Confirmed with Link: Bruins re-sign Liles

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
No disrespect to Seids but at this point I much prefer having Liles . He is fine for the third pair .

Yeah, the easiest way to look at it is Seidenberg -> Liles this season. Just pretty much allotted Seids contract to Liles. Seeing that he has better wheels, I'm okay with it. He's a better fit this season.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
When you look at the money spent on McQuaid and Liles = 4.75 million, we could have Shattenkirk and play the kids. Chara and Shatt, Krug and Kevan, play Colin, Morrow on the bottom. Have Cross as the extra. We find out what the young guys can do and then we have no problem signing them or releasing them. This needs to happen this year, we wasted last year finding it out. In 2017 Chara may be gone and Shatt takes over and the next wave of young dee gets a shot.

What exactly would Shattenkirk take over?? He's a #3

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
While I don't mind Liles as a player and the length is no issue at all with me, I don't like the contract value. I would have preferred to have gone with Cross or waited to dip into the free agency pool to see if we could land Russel.

We're still in the hunt for Russel and while I also like him as a player, he's best suited as a bottom pairing guy at this point. Having both Liles and Russel while also keeping Chara and Krug doesn't make sense to me unless we plan on moving out McQuaid and plan on having two smallish vets on the 3rd pairing. But, if that's the case, then why buyout Seids and tell him one of the reasons why we're letting him go is because we're going with the kids? Signing Liles and going after Russel kind of flies in the face of that.

Overall, I don't think this was a signing they had to do, especially on the first day.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
I think they could have got Liles at 1 mill AAV instead of 2 Mil. That was the mistake by Sweeney.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Liles can play the zone system Claude uses pretty well and is good on the breakout and retrieving pucks

he's a solid cheap stop gap

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
I think they could have got Liles at 1 mill AAV instead of 2 Mil. That was the mistake by Sweeney.

I had to laugh when I read this post...

I'm just picturing Donny reading the post, and saying to himself "Wait!! I could've gotten him for $1m?? Geez - I didn't even think of that!! I totally should've tried that!"

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I had to laugh when I read this post...

I'm just picturing Donny reading the post, and saying to himself "Wait!! I could've gotten him for $1m?? Geez - I didn't even think of that!! I totally should've tried that!"

LOL, I know right!:laugh: I guess in these video games and fantasy leagues you can force people to sign for whatever you command them to?
:shakehead

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Liles can play the zone system Claude uses pretty well and is good on the breakout and retrieving pucks

he's a solid cheap stop gap

That's the way I see it as well. Far from a sexy player, won't do anything that amazes you, but he can be put on the 3rd pairing, eat some good minutes, and not look out of place doing it. Unfortunately there aren't many players on this team that can do that consistently...

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Chara Liles
Krug McQuaid
Morrow K Miller
C Miller

Anyone who thinks itll be any different is kidding themselves. Prices are too high and Sweeney doesn't want to pay whatever the price is (for better or worse).

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Chara Liles
Krug McQuaid
Morrow K Miller
C Miller

Anyone who thinks itll be any different is kidding themselves. Prices are too high and Sweeney doesn't want to pay whatever the price is (for better or worse).

I don't want any D on the UFA market if it's for more than 1y. Nothing to invest term on. As for a trade, I would trade Spooner+ to get a quality top-4 D to slide next to Chara. Hopefully, Sweeney finds a fit.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

A lot of people around here did. Saw that number a bit. Prob is Liles made, what, 3.5 million per before?...it's hard to justify a drop that steep.

It's worth noting. What they made before matters. Getting him to drop 1.5 million was really pretty good work.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I don't want any D on the UFA market if it's for more than 1y. Nothing to invest term on. As for a trade, I would trade Spooner+ to get a quality top-4 D to slide next to Chara. Hopefully, Sweeney finds a fit.

I think most of us would, doesn't mean other GMs would. I suspect other GMs see Spooner as a target that hasn't proven to be a capable 2nd line center but isn't your prototypical 3rd line center either.

And I agree with you. The last two drafts we've drafted 5 D men that IMO have top four upside, 1 year deals or bust until they're either ready or prove theyll never be ready.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Another solid signing by Sweeney. An actual NHL d-man which is what was missing to start the season last year. Servicable guy on a 1 year deal. If the Bruins are out of it at the deadline he's a perfect trade candidate, but I don't expect them to be out the playoffs this year.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Haven't read any of the other posts but I think it's a good signing. 500K over what I suggested but the term is right on. I wish they had resigned Stempniak too. I think he resigned for just what I suggested, 2 years at 2 mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00